News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

THE OLD BERWYN BAKERIES

Started by berwynson, February 02, 2007, 08:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwynson

Heard Fingerhut's in Cicero gone; they were good. Getting closer, Dressels had very excellent cakes. The Polish-owed Skowronsky Bakery, N. side Cermak between Harvey & Highland was as close to Grandma's baking as one could BUY. We ordered our wedding cake from them, it cost $15.00! Revealing how old I really am!

There was another good bakery farther west, just before East Ave., north side. Since my Mother only walked, she took my Nephew & I rarely farther west than Troy Store.

Now someone mentioned Vesecky? The OWNER of Troy Store was Rudolph Vesecky, a very feisty, if rather belligerent man who frequently sparred verbally with my Mother.

And who could forget the Neisner Dime Store, with the squeeky wood floors, big exhaust fans running in back in summer, and its sit-down eatery bar, open-face hot turkey sandwich 99 cents!.
There was also a Walgreens on the NE corner of Cermak & Ridgeland. Berwynson

pkd50

Sadly they are all gone except Vesecky.   I've been in Berwyn about 30 years, so your memories go back longer than mine.  Most of the landmarks from my early days here are all gone also.  In my opinion, they haven't been replaced with anything comparable.  I don't find much reason to walk down Cermak Rd. anymore.   The Main Street Project may give it the shot in the arm it needed 15 years ago.  I hope it isn't too late.

Pat
P.S.  I enjoy your posts

Sherman

Actually...and this is no bullshit, here....I come from a family of bakers.

My grandfather owned and operated one of the biggest bakeries that Chicago has ever seen--Burny Brothers Bakery.  He sold it right around the time I was born, divorced my Gramma, married a Vegas showgirl, and retired to Boca Raton, Florida....where he died in 1983.

With a big, fat smile on his face. ;D

pkd50

Boy that's a name from the past.  So are you heir to the Burny estate?

tgoddess

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Sherman

Quote from: pkd50 on August 21, 2011, 07:53:52 AM
Boy that's a name from the past.  So are you heir to the Burny estate?

Nope.

I'm of the Cicero Burnys.  Anybody that got anything were of the River Forest Burnys. ;)

From what I understand, my Grandad left it all to the showgirl--something in the range of 10 million....which in today's dollars would be 40-50 million. :-\

pkd50

sucks for you....great for the showgirl

Robert Pauly

I grew up in Hillside in the 60's - our neighbor across the street - actually a second father - was Fred Elftmann, who was a career baker at Vesecky's.  I think his pic is still on the wall.  I'm packing about 20 that I attribute to Vesecky's kolace and sandwich rolls.  We packed our grass clippings in Vesecky flour bags.

A special treat was visiting Grandma and Grandpa Seaberg's Berwyn home - as teenagers, we utilized the ventilation benefits of their bungalow attic!  Grandpa worked at Stromberg and scored my brother and I a fabulous 4 lane 1/32 racing set.

Fred also worked with Kasek & Sons landscaping - as a junior and senior in high school, I spent a lot of time sodding and fertilizing Berwyn yards.  Who'd a thunk I'd return 40 years later?  As I recall, we planted the Crabgrass Special at Bonster's, Ted's, buzz's and Jackal's homes.

Sherman

Quote from: pkd50 on August 21, 2011, 01:10:19 PM
sucks for you....great for the showgirl

Her name was Linda.  I met her once when my old man basically kidnapped me for a couple of weeks and brought me down to Boca Raton when I was three years old.

And, from what I understand, less than a year after my Grandad died she married yet another old coot who was also worth millions, and the same thing happened again.

Good for her. ;)

berwyn senator

Veseckys is not like it used to be,one must be carefull sometimes old bakery is sold and is terrible.I guess nothing will ever as once was.

pkd50

Sounds like Linda was quite a smart showgirl!

ScovilleBob

Stetina's, 6516 West Cermak Road ....Was only a block and a half away and was my favorite growing up. The jelly sweet rolls, cream puffs, strudel made with cheese or cheese and cherry filling. Daisy hotdogs wrapped in bread.

berwyn senator

Anyone remember the name of the bakery on the North East corner of 16Th.& Cuyler? Directly across from Toman's.

berwynson

Quote from: ScovilleBob on March 27, 2014, 10:36:23 AM
Stetina's, 6516 West Cermak Road ....Was only a block and a half away and was my favorite growing up. The jelly sweet rolls, cream puffs, strudel made with cheese or cheese and cherry filling. Daisy hotdogs wrapped in bread.

I remember Stetina's, but being a bit farther west than my Mother usually ventured while shopping Cermak (on foot, of course, she never learned to drive), we frequented the bakery just west of Harvey Ave., their name escapes me right now, but they were Polish, and still prepared Bohemian bakery for the folks. They provided our wedding cake, July, 1965, I think it was about $ 15  !!

Skowronek's, I believe, just popped into my head. getting old sucks!   berwynson

berwyn senator

If I remember correctly Stetina's lived in a three flat on the corner of 18Th.& Clarence.The bakery was closed and house sold sometime in the mid seventies? Another bakery on Cermak Rd. was just west of Chateau Maria,I believe they were Polish can't remember the name?all are now gone.

berwyn senator

Remembered a few more,Jerry's Bakery around Lombard on the south side of Cermak. The one on Roosevelt Sunshine Bakery next to tabor Paints? Modern Bakery on 25Th. St. east of Central great rye bread.

berwyn senator

What I would not give for a Dressel's cake right now!!!!!

dualref

Quote from: ScovilleBob on March 27, 2014, 10:36:23 AM
Daisy hotdogs wrapped in bread.

Those were good, I always wondered what kind of hot dogs they used in those. I still get a taste for them now and then, but nothing I ever have had since compares.

berwynson

I often wondered if Vesecky's Bakery was a relation of Rudolph Vesecky, who owned Troy Store on Cermak & Ridgeland.  berwynson