News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Does Anyone Remember the Orzula Family From Cicero?

Started by dualref, February 16, 2013, 09:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dualref

On February 12, 1963 a Northwest Airlines jet crashed shortly after take off in the Florida Everglades. Walter Orzula & family were on that flight. None of the passengers survived. It has been 50 years since the accident.

I recently have been in contact with a daughter of one of the other passengers who was killed in that crash and she now runs a Northwest 705 Blog. She is looking for more info about the other passengers and is also looking to have a memorial placed near the crash site so it isn't forgotten.

She is also looking for photos of the family to add to the website. Did anyone here know any of the Orzulas?  We lived down the street from them and on the blog their name was spelled wrong.
I contacted the person who wrote the blog with a correction to their name. Looks like Northwest had their name spelled incorrectly in their reservation system. The blogger couldn't believe that 50 years later someone would come forward with a correction.  But asked if I could supply any info about the family.

Thanks!

mustang54

I remember the crash and the name Orzula. I was twelve in 63. I remember Orzula owned Orzula builders. He built all the homes north of 35th street behind the bowling alley on 53rd court and 54th ave. If I remember correctly all but one of the family members were on that flight. I think one of their oldest children stayed home. I believe the family is in a private room at Queen Of Heaven Mausoleum in Hillside.

dualref

Yes, that was the family. 
The limited history on the family only shows that one daughter was not on the flight because she was on a military base in Kansas with her new husband. She was then the only family left. Does anyone know what her name was?

The purpose of this blog is to preserve the memory of the passengers onboard that day.

dualref

They lived in that big house on the SE corner of 36th Street & 59th court, if that helps.

scottymac

That's a cool house. We used to call it "The Mansion". Well it was compared to the little Georgians that we lived in. I believe at the time when I passed it every day on my to Lincoln school it was then owned by a family that owned the drug store on Laramie and 32nd/33rd (by Sportsmans).

Berwyn Patsy

Was that Erwin's Pharmacy?  I remember going there for prescription pick ups ordered by at that time the family doc of many, Dr. Fabian Ostrowski.

dualref

ScottyMac:

About what year was it when you walked past that house from school?

Mrs.Pete

I forgot about Erwin's Pharmacy, but will never forget Dr. Ostrowski. I think he doctored about half of Hawthorne.

Berwyn Patsy

I think he did Mrs.Pete.  He took care of me as a child, took my tonsils out at 12, and delivered 2 of my girls!

berwynson

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on March 07, 2013, 12:11:47 PM
Was that Erwin's Pharmacy?  I remember going there for prescription pick ups ordered by at that time the family doc of many, Dr. Fabian Ostrowski.

FWIW, my cousin, 3 years older than I, (he would have been about 28 then) married a Vickie Ostrowski, around late '60s. Perhaps a daughter? I am not sure how common the name Ostrowski is.

berwynson

Berwyn Patsy

No more common than the name Piotriwski, Bistek, Juskuewicz, & Etc.  Remember when they came over from Poland, all the relatives followed and that became the beginning of everyone being surrounded by Aunts, Uncles, and lots of cousins.  In Hawthorne everyone seemed to be related to someone on almost every block.

Berwyn Patsy

dualref

The house is on the market again after being flipped.

http://www.estately.com/listings/info/3601-south-59th-court     
  (I have no financial interest in this)

I wonder if this house is considered a "distressed propery"?

Looks like flippers got it .  According to tax records they bought it last July for $51,000 and two months later have it on the market for $209,000. I don't think they'll get that. The backyard is miniscule.

After the accident I don't think anyone lived there for a few years. There was a light on in the living room window that stayed on day and night for two years. I thought that was kind of creepy, but I was a kid then.  I think owning a house like this with the previous owner history would creep me out.