News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Bobby Buonauro Methadone Clinic

Started by Terri, July 10, 2008, 11:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berwyn Patsy

What's the parking restrictions on that block?

Thor

Quote from: Bonster on July 11, 2008, 03:02:33 PM
Depends how far along you are.  Methadone is like free, legal heroin; it's no cure. 
An old friend is beyond that, so I've taken him to a street corner in ____ ____ where he could trade whatever pills he's got for a li'l bottle of methadone from someone else who's got a hook up (easy access Dr. (yes, they are plentiful)). 
That way he can pretend he's off the shit.

Yep, it's TRUE.
Need a fix just find a methadone clinic. Want to catch a buzz find a clinic, need to get high find a clinic.

I thought Berwyn was trying to IMPROVE it's image?
Time to vote OUT some alderwomen!!!
Stop your whining and think the way I do

Thor

Better raise the taxes so we can hire some more police too.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

Bear

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on July 11, 2008, 06:03:11 PM
What's the parking restrictions on that block?

LOL BP you know the deal with parking on Grove...there is none. That alley north and east of the "clinic" should turn into quite the interesting place. Try not to step on all the disposed "works"
that you will see disposed of around the area boys and girls. Those used needles can cause a nasty rash.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Berwyn Patsy

Shelley, as we are awaiting some answers from some very good questions, I believe in
the April agenda the request from the Buonaura Clinic, specifies thier employee needs.
One of these as I read it, included a security guard.  
That is a busy medical building, besides a Peds office, there is the general surgery group
upstairs.  Many people, and children in and out and sometimes having to wait in the downstairs vestibule,
for rides or etc.  Call me cautious, but I would hate to be the one in the wrong place at the wrong time.

ZORBA

Was a special use permit requested, or was there a variance granted?

buzz

I thought I was following this with an open mind until I read the ADA statement.  Why are addicts covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act ?  Why not alcoholics, pedophiles, phobaphobics, etc.
Doesn't sound right.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Berwyn Patsy

I was thinking the same, buzz. 
Another question, to Sal, or Liz.  Why this space?  Of all the spaces in the entire chicago land area, why here?

Vic0218

It's been a busy day regarding the issue of the Bobby Buonauro Clinic slated to go into 3245 Grove Ave.

Here is an email message from a neighbor/colleague of mine who is busy on the issue as well. I encourage all to attend:

Mayor O'Connor is calling a community meeting on the proposed Methadone Clinic for this upcoming Wed, July 16th, at 6 pm in the Grove Ave. Municipal Parking Lot.
He is inviting ALL of the Aldermen to explain their votes on this issue to the public.
He encourages as many people as possible to attend and bring your families and neighbors.Tell everyone you can to show up to this meeting. 
He also is inviting the building owner and the owner of the methadone clinic to hear from residents. 
The Mayor told me he will invite the Police Chief there and representatives from the Berwyn Development Corporation as well.
We still need as many people as possible to cram the July 22nd City Council meeting and speak at open comments at 6:30 PM on Tuesday, July 22nd.
And we need everyone to continue to email all of the aldermen on this issue asking for a new vote because two aldermen were absent who would have voted no.

Thanks to a number of you for working on this and voicing your concerns to the aldermen.

- Vicki
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened" - Cora Harvey Armstrong

ZORBA

Tell me more about the four who voted yes

Vic0218

Quote from: Sal R. Sottile on July 11, 2008, 04:02:17 PM
The Bobby Buonauro Clinic
07/11/08

Clients of a methadone maintenance clinic come from all walks of life (including Professionals & Veterans). It is anonymous. These people are coming to the clinic to make a positive change in their lives. They need our help. These people are protected by the ADA (American's with Disabilities Act); they have a legal right to treatment.

Community resistance to methadone maintenance treatment is the widely held view that methadone treatment facilities are a part of the opioid addiction problem, rather than a response to the opioid addiction problem.
Even in Berwyn, do you really believe we have no problem?

Sal - first of all, thank you for posting. I have questions similar to those posted by Shelley earlier.

Per your post, none of us opposed to the clinic believe that all of your clients are crazed dope fiends. We are also all very aware of the existing drug/alcohol problems facing residents of Berwyn. We are the ones living here and experiencing those issues. Naive we are not. Many of us have family and friends struggling to recover and know clinics such as yours provide resources necessary for their recovery.

But, the fact that your clinic requires a security guard while my pediatrician's office does not is a glaring point of differentiation that speaks to the type of clients - and thier very serious issues and needs - that your clinic services. We don't believe this building - with its already existing medical offices & clients - is the right location for your clinic. Those I know in the medical profession have stated they would not be comfortable working in or around a clinic such as yours based upon their experience with people reliant on methadone. It looks like you'll have a chance to speak to this and other issues we have on July 16th.

A few of my questions that I hope to have an opportunity to ask which will provide factual information for us to consider:
1) How many times per month/year are police called to the Bobby Buonauro Clinic in Evanston?
2) Has there been any incidents where staff and/or other patients have been injured/harmed by clients using the services of the clinic?
3) Were the other businesses in the building made aware that your clinic was moving in to the building? FOIA can answer this, but quick polling points to a 'No' on that one.
4) Are you servicing clients from the immediate area (Berwyn), or servicing out-of-area clients? What % are estimated to be out-of-area?

I have other questions but these are the first ones on my list. I can provide additional questions if you are interested and to help you prepare for 7/16.

Thank you - Vicki
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened" - Cora Harvey Armstrong

Vic0218

Letter received from Ald. Chapman on this issue and logic on her vote to allow the variance. Please see attached pdf file.

SILK and others - I'd love the benefit of your insight on this one on the legal issue our city would be facing by voting No. Especially as our resident lawyer alderman voted No.

Thanks - Vicki

ZORBA

TWO of three attorney/aldermen voted no.

Without knowing specifics, I would venture to say that the only reason a matter like this is before a zoning board is because the intended use is not permitted within the specific zone in question.

Vic0218

Thanks SILK  -

Here's the email response from Ald Phelan to another Berwyn resident:

Date: 7/11/2008 3:56:40 PM
Subject: RE: Methadone clinic
Kim,

The reasons I voted for this are several.  First of all, the recomendation from the zoning board of appeals was to approve it.  Secondly, on issues such as these, if the zba is for the project and I don't have any real issues with it, I usually reside with the resident alderman.  Lastly, it is my understanding that this particular location is zoned for medical offices.  Please feel free to respond should you have questions, comments or concerns.

Mike Phelan

Shelley

Personally, I'd rather our elected officials risk the lawsuit and fight this.  That is a cost that this taxpayer is willing to pay.  I remember the storefront church threatened lawsuit, too.  Maybe the clinic will choose to find another location rather than spend for their lawsuit costs?  I bet they can sneak this into some other community that isn't paying attention?  A. Malina...can you find any articles that successfully stopped a clinic from coming into their neighborhood?  Is there a way to grant a zoning appeal w/ conditions?  For example, each time police are called to the clinic, the clinic will pay a fee?  

Also, a few more questions for the clinic:

1.  How many patients is your clinic expecting daily?
2.  What is your success rate for treating patients?
3.  How long is the typical drug addict in treatment (receiving methadone daily)?
4.  What is the rate of patients who need repeated treatments?

Vic0218

And the response to another Berwyn resident from Ald. Lovero

Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 1:14 PM
Subject: Bobby Buonauro Clinic

Barnali, I voted for the clinic because legally there was no legitimate reason to deny. The building they are going in consists of medical related offices and clinics. It will not be generating retail taxes in the district and therefore does not violate the intent of the retail overlay, especially since the whole building is considered amedical clinic. The use is consistent. The zoning board reviewed this petition and after concluding it should be approved, the Council remanded it back for reconsideration. The Executive Secretary of the Board, an attorney and a gentleman who has directed the ZBA for as long as I can remember, on both occasions determined that the initial denial from the City should never have occurred and their was no reason to send the matter to zoning in the first place, nor any legal reason to deny the use of this office space by the clinic.

In addition, the circumstances surrounding this applicant, was further incentive to me to not incur yet another lawsuit against the City because of a total disregard for proper procedure. The operators and owners are Berwyn residents with a current clinic in Evanston which has experienced no detrimental incidents as conjured up when non-medical folk like myself think of a methadone clinic. I performed my due diligence by asking questions and doing a little research before my first vote on this matter. With little or no proof that this clinic in this location would result in the problems that I could conceive of, I was reluctant to invite a lawsuit by denying a business use that would eventually cause the City a finacial liability in a case that I believe we could not win.

Please visit the numerous websites that review and explain the services and treatments provided by the "Bobby Buonauro Clinic" as well as the many uses for methadone treatment. The services range from post partum depression for women to drug and alcohol treatment. I addition this clinic is a private pay clinic. Speak to the owner who shows the same concern for the City of Berwyn that we share. Understand her passion for the medical area that she has persued.

I hope that you can understand why I voted the way I did. Sometimes we have hard decisions which seem to go against your gut reactions. It becomes important for me to do step back, do the due diligence and decide in a fair and impartial manner. Never, however, does my decision subtract from my desire to do the best for Berwyn. Thanks for your time, patience and support.

Bob Lovero

--
Robert J. Lovero
Attorney at Law
6536 W. Cermak Road
Berwyn, IL 60402
Phone (708) 795-9777
Fax (708) 795-4730
e-mail: rjlovero@gmail. com

OakParkSpartan

Anyone else read the two responses and get the feeling one person drafted the letter?  Same sentences in many parts. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

ZORBA

My question is that if the area is zoned for medical offices, then why was this matter before the zoning board of appeals?

Bear

"I bet they can sneak this into some other community that isn't paying attention?"

Fopas run deep in 60402, there is no need to do such now, they have accomplished such here. Voter/citizen participation attention deficit comes to mind here.

The Wednesday night parking lot meeting should be interesting. Do any of you really think
any principal who brought such upon you will show up for this brutal public gang bang?

A political hand wrenching from OC will be the only topic with no consequence.

But hey, silk is pissed. We can't wait to meet him.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Shelley

Quote from: Bear on July 11, 2008, 10:35:27 PM
they have accomplished such here.

I don't know, Bear.  Here's what I think might happen.  July 22nd it is called up for another vote allowing Day and Ramos to vote no.  Mayor breaks the tie against the methadone clinic, perhaps opening up the possibility of a lawsuit.  LIke I said in an earlier post, I'd gladly pay the cost of this lawsuit, even if it only buys some time.  I'm predicting it buys at least time enough to get us through the election so that this is a non-issue for everyone...that is probably what everyone wants really.  Plus, any lawsuit at worst ends in the clinic opening at a later date and at best takes so long that the landlord finds a better tenant.  LIke I said...worth the cost.  Maybe BTFers should just pitch in to rent the space...1st floor buildout for that coffee shop?  Or is there any medical professional out there in BTF land that can use the space?  Maybe you could get some type of counseling degree set up an "Advice" booth like Lucy on the peanuts.  I'd pay the co-pay!

I wonder if any of the aldermen who voted for this attempted to find another solution...like a  more appropriate location in a more industrial (non residential, not so visible) place?  Probably not, they are too busy trying to save the jobs of 15 people while the rest of us 55,000 schmucks get screwed.  Who are they more worrried about?  The 15 employees or the rest of us?