News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Bobby Buonauro Methadone Clinic

Started by Terri, July 10, 2008, 11:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZORBA

Bear,

You wouldn't want to meet me. I know it, you know it, and everybody on these boards knows it. Now go have another old Style and clam up lest you risk another "fopas".

Can anyone please explain why the matter was in front of the zoning board to begin with, if in fact the use contemplated is specifically permitted?

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on July 11, 2008, 09:51:08 PM
Anyone else read the two responses and get the feeling one person drafted the letter?  Same sentences in many parts. 

I noticed the same thing with just a cursory glance at both, except that (expectedly) Nona's version reads much better.  

Then there was the 5th grader's.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

ZORBA

btw Bear the buffoon, I have no reason to be pissed. I simply can take my kids to another pediatrician. You're the nitwit that's stuck with a methadone clinic less than  block from your home.

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

ZORBA

I thought I was being complimentary, but maybe you should also cut out the family insults and ethnic bashing, no?

Bonster

Quote from: Shelley on July 11, 2008, 09:47:30 PM
Personally, I'd rather our elected officials risk the lawsuit and fight this.  That is a cost that this taxpayer is willing to pay.

Exactly what I was thinking...
"I voted for the clinic because legally there was no legitimate reason to deny it."    
That's all?  How about for moral or ethical reasons??  

They're willing to put Phelan's multi-million dollar mess upon our reluctant shoulders, but are scared to fight this with the backing of the citizens?

I guess with her 8 years of law she knows something that we don't.
After all, she spoke with 3 independent attorneys and asked the hard questions, and does not see any way out but to allow this clinic.

ZORBA

Can someone post the zberwyn zoning ordinance in question?

Ther's ususally language along the lines of health, safety, and public welfare included.

ZORBA

Bonster,

This looks like nothing more than a political ploy Vote for the methadone clinci under the pretense of "avoiding a lawsuit" in order to cast your political opponent, who does the right thing, in a negative light.

Bonster

You know, judging by the vote tallies, it sure looks that way.  Yet if Nona's letter is original material (and Lovero's paraphrased/coincidence) I'd be inclined to believe her.  I'd just be curious as to what her counsel told her - insane $$ amount in these suits, or do these suits inevitably end up granting access to these places such that any $$ amount spent will be wasted?

Question for those against this:

Is it just a matter of being in the Depot District, or in Berwyn period?  (Ogden/Cermak/Harlem, etc.)

Shelley

I don't think we want a methadone clinic anywhere in Berwyn.  IN fact, the more I learn about these for-profit clinics, the more I oppose this as a treatment option at all, anywhere.  One thing is for sure, if a methadone clinic opens anywhere in Berwyn, it will not be good for ANY of Berwyn, IMHO.

Bear

'You wouldn't want to meet me. I know it, you know it, and everybody on these boards knows it. Now go have another old Style and clam up lest you risk another "fopas".

'btw Bear the buffoon, I have no reason to be pissed. I simply can take my kids to another pediatrician. You're the nitwit that's stuck with a methadone clinic less than  block from your home.'

It amuses me to see how easy it is to push the buttons of the weak.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Terri

The space at 3245 Grove houses pediatrician and general medical practices, lots of elderly patients.  I can't answer your question about another area in Berwyn, each area has its unique character.  How's that for diplomacy?  

Today I've learned plenty about methadone and the way it is used.  Methadone patients travel great distances to obtain this drug and I suspect our beloved rail lines is the foremost reason the DD was aggressively pursued by the Bobby Buonauro owners.  

Silk, I will post the zoning ord. in the morning.        

Vic0218

Where's the building owner in all of this mess?

As much as I am upset at the council for pushing this through, the buck stops with the building owner. Wouldn't the owner be the one person who can deny leasing to any possible tenant? I'm not sure how commericial leasing works, but I'm fairly certain that you don't have to lease your space to any company that wants to occupy it.

I believe - someone feel free to verify/dispute - that it is the same person who owns the cigarette/coffee/quick stop place on the corner of Grove & Windsor. Why would he/she want to have a tenant such as this.....especially with the obvious harm it will do to his/her other tenants in the building (whose clients are going to leave them).

Also, is this private, for-profit company going to put up a legal battle to get the space if the city denies the zoning variance after we all go out there and vent on Wednesday? Sal's earlier post mentions thier clientele is in a protected class. It's interesting that it was pointed out. And, from Ald. Chapman's letter, I'm inferring that she knows the owner and has had a multi-year relationship with her. So Ald. Chapman may be in the best position to make a judgement call on this, or maybe they've already threatened a lawsuit if the variance was not approved. Who knows - I'm speculating at the moment.

Now my two questions are....why would the building owner agree to rent to this company, and has the threat of a lawsuit already been mentioned by the clinic owner? More so, if the building owner refuses to lease to the clinic, would all of this just go away?
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened" - Cora Harvey Armstrong

Vic0218

I have been researching Methadone as a treatment option for the past four hours. There is many, many negative articles about methodone treatment and also how it has turned into an 'alternative' drug for abusers. However, the medical community embraces it as a valid treatment and stands behind it as a safe alternative to heroin. Interestingly, methadone clinics are primarily private, for-profit entities according to the information available via the Internet (I checked out meth clinics in major cities around the US - all private).

Also, communities with methodone treatment facilities seem to complain mostly about the severe traffic congestion and influx of out-of-community people to their areas. Some article mention that there is no proven link to increases in area crime due to meth clinics, but they generally do not exist in vibrant, popular areas of town. Google street view is a cool tool after all! Well, Berwyn has been trying to get people from outside of Berwyn to come here.....but I don't think it is what the BDC intended.

Most communities that were unsuccessful in stopping meth clinics from setting up shop were due to a lack of 'zoning ordinances'. The threat of legal action seems to be lurking out there. But most articles I read mentioned how the meth clinics just kind of 'opened up' without the area residents being aware that that type of business was moving in.
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened" - Cora Harvey Armstrong

ZORBA

Bear,

Push my butons?

You couldn't push your dentures properly into place You think you're going to push MY buttons? LOL!!!!

ZORBA

Vicki,

Its precisely because places like this find gaps in zoning ordinances that they are able to "just move right in".

Berwyn Patsy

The owner of that building, is rather a nice gentleman, and actually has made some
great improvements in the building, except for the elevator, which is very creepy!
I think he (like everyone else) was tired of having empty spaces on that 1st floor and no income
coming in.  The space has been empty for well over 2 years?
A large lack of income on his end, a lucrative business offering to rent his spaces, how could he say no?
As far as the city and a law suit, it certainly would not  be the first and will not be the last.  I agree
if a law suit was filed on this one it would be worth the fight. (besides if the city has no money what could be
gained?)
How can anyone expect Berwyn to become that desirable place to live or to want to stay and raise their
families in that kind of environment?
To all the Aldermen/women who voted no, even though you thought in your heads you were doing the
right thing for the city in the big picture, in this case following your heart and gut instincts would have
been better for the city in the long run.   Just my opinion.

Berwyn Patsy

I am curious, does Cicero house a Meth/Drug rehab establishment?

Ted

Quote from: SILK on July 11, 2008, 07:08:28 PM
Was a special use permit requested, or was there a variance granted?

According to what was in the city council packet,  a business permit was requested by the clinic and denied by the city council in April. The reason for the denial was that 4 aldermen and the mayor believed that a clinic on the first floor of the building would violate the retail overlay law. 

The case was referred back to the zoning board.  The zoning board (and its lawyers) then sent an opinion back to the city council stating that the clinic fell under the retail overlay cateogry of "Group Medical use type" and that "Group Medical use type" did not fall under the restricted categories of the retail overlay law.

The matter was then sent back to the city council on Tuesday night. I think the city council vote on Tuesday, July 8, was to give the business permit to the methadone clinic (But I am not sure).

My question is this - Why can't the city just deny the business permit just because it would be deemed bad for the city?  Does the city have to approve every business permit or can it deny some business permits because of the idea it may be bad for the city?  Or does there have to be some reason in the law (e.g. violating the retail overlay law) for the denial of a business permit.

Why can't a business permit be denied for reasons of being bad for the city?

Ted

ZORBA

Too vague Ted. Leaves too much discretion to City Council, thus opening the door to litigation.