News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Property/Tax Appeals

Started by buzz, April 24, 2014, 10:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

BERWYN – Berwyn Township Assessor David Avila announced recently that the property assessment appeal period will begin Friday.

Every Berwyn homeowner will receive a new assessment for the value of their home from the Cook County Assessor's Office.

The process to appeal your property assessment starts April 25 . Homeowners have until May 24 to file, according to a news release from the township office.

For the first time, the Berwyn Township office hours will be extended during the period of property tax appeals, from April 25 to May 24, as follows: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mondays, Wednesdays, Thusdays and Fridays; 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Tuesday; and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.

The Cook County Assessor's Office will work on appeals for lack of uniformity, over valuation, incorrect property description and uninhabitable property. Those who believe the Cook County Assessor's Office has the wrong square footage of their home in their database, can have the township office contest the square footage for you.

The township office also will make sure appellants are receiving all the exemptions entitled to them and can check if a homeowner is entitled to a refund for prior years, too.

Homeowners can contact the township office for an appointment to appeal property assessments. Walk-ins are welcome, but residents are asked to keep in mind that those who make appointments will receive priority.

For any questions or concerns regarding property taxes, call 708-788-6600 or visit the office located at 6600 W. 26th St., Berwyn.
Comments
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

berwynres

My successful appeal of the last assessment won't be applied until the 2nd installment for property taxes this year.  Are you sure we are already up for the 3 year reassessment?  It is never ending, but how could it not be with tax increases. 

Just have to keep voting down any goofy referendums for 20% tax increases.  How ridiculous!!

buzz

Quote from: berwynres on April 24, 2014, 12:25:08 PM
My successful appeal of the last assessment won't be applied until the 2nd installment for property taxes this year.

Your appeal already got eaten up by the $38M bond issue.

Quote from: berwynres on April 24, 2014, 12:25:08 PM
Just have to keep voting down any goofy referendums for 20% tax increases. 

You don't get to vote on the taxing rate/EAV.

buzz

GOT AN EMAIL FROM THE ACCESSOR !
Sounds like he's taking credit for the Farmer's Market.  What the Hell does any of this fitness crap have to do with the Accessor's Office ?  Isn't that why Beth Pechous draws a salary ?

Dear Neighbor,
The Township of Berwyn will open for appeals on April 25! Come to my office and we will help you appeal your assessment. For the first time, we will have extended hours during the appeal period; read below for more information.

As your new Berwyn Township Assessor, I am excited to inform you of great new things happening at your township, which I was inspired to implement. In January 2014, one of my first accomplishments as an elected official was to initiate a Berwyn Farmer's Market Festival, along with the rest of the Berwyn Township and Health District Board. 

The Farmer's Market will begin Sunday, June 1st, from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and will take place on every first Sunday of each month till October.  Each Farmer's Market will have a different theme.  Out first theme will be fitness on June 1st, and the schedule will be:

8:00 a.m. -   Beginners' Yoga

9:00 a.m. -   Zumba

10:00 am. -  Kid's Fitness

11:00 a.m. - Nutrition

12:00 p.m. - Bootcamp

There will be fresh organic fruits and vegetables, fresh cut Gerbera daisies, sunflowers, etc., a coffee stand serving freshly brewed coffee, a tea vendor, a few craft vendors as well as Brookfield Zoo will be bring owls and other exotic animals, and much more. Join us!

For more information, check out www.berwyntownshipfarmersmarket.org.

berwyn senator

I could careless about a farmers market and animals.What I care about is how much of our tax payers money was waisted working on this project? If these township employees have so much extra time,and so little to do,cut their pay and make them part time!!!!!!!!! When I have the town assessor represent me with an appeal,I want him to work on reducing my taxes.Not having fruits and vegetables on his mind.!!!! $50,000 per year interesting!!!

buzz

Quote from: berwyn senator on April 25, 2014, 09:49:07 AM
If these township employees have so much extra time,and so little to do,cut their pay and make them part time!!!!!!!!!
You jogged my memory with the "part time" comment.  It's only a 2 month job but Avila is trying for FT/benefits.
Here's an interesting quote from another thread about the ABC candidates forum.......

Quote from: B o n s t e r on January 28, 2013, 08:54:53 PM
Avila first complained that it's only a two month job, but wants to make it a full time position doing things which, as Kveton pointed out, the CDBG provides.     Avila said he'd work this two month job full time at present pay, but I call bullshit.  I see that leading to increased compensation and benefits (read: higher taxes) down the road... by someone, even if not him.

berwyn senator

When May Brook was open what were the Town assessor's doing?

justme

Quote from: berwyn senator on April 25, 2014, 09:49:07 AM
When I have the town assessor represent me with an appeal,I want him to work on reducing my taxes.Not having fruits and vegetables on his mind.!!!!

But there are CRAFTS, too.... ::) ;)

berwyn senator

There were several women at May Brook that would help with the appeals,they were excellent.Never needed an attorney for help.

berwyn senator

Crafts of beers I would go for! But the first project by a town assessor a farmers market,heaven help us with our appeals!!! We need to pay an elected official for this? Any one know exactly what the salary is for the assessor?