News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

power outage

Started by justme, May 08, 2014, 07:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justme

Heard a POP and lost power. Everyone is out and Com Ed says about 9pm restore time. Great. And they are raising rates.

menace2society

Can't find word on what actually happened.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: justme on May 08, 2014, 07:14:27 PM
Heard a POP and lost power. Everyone is out and Com Ed says about 9pm restore time. Great. And they are raising rates.
We lost it around 3 but it was restored by 5.  They said about 2000 customers lost power in my area.  I found it really strange since there were no type of storms in the area.  My husband thought it might be because of the hot weather and everyone turning on their A/C units.

justme

I just called Com Ed and they said there is an underground issue. Now ETA for power is 9:30pm

Oh and we just came back on!

berwynson

As a kid, growing up on Harvey & 18th., each square block had one big distribution transformer located on a pole in the alley, at mid-block. Our bungalow had no 220, only 110 volts, which often measured 90 or less, in summertime, by the 1970s.

One big storm when I was around 10 or 12, lightning struck our transformer, and burned it out. Thus, our block was without power. I watched eagerly as a crew took down that big "can", surprising me by it's size when you saw it closer-up. They replaced it with a new one. Years later, and additional transformer was added on the pole at our alley fence, 2nd. house from 18th. St., and it was marked "Back-Fed".

Outages were very rare back then.   berwynson