News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

So who's all going?

Started by Berwyn Patsy, September 02, 2011, 07:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berwyn Patsy

Here's something to do this Holiday weekend!  Betty Loren Maltese is having a huge garage
sale 8/26 8/27 and 8/29 at her best friends garage located at 4500 S. Grove Ave.  Forest View.
Yes, that is Betty Loren's left overs after the Fed's cleaned up her house.
   Channel 9 news reported items such as clowns, clothes her earrings furniture and lots more would have to go!
Betty needs money so she says!  She is only working part time.

tgoddess

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on September 02, 2011, 07:28:30 AM
  Here's something to do this Holiday weekend!  Betty Loren Maltese is having a huge garage
sale 8/26 8/27 and 8/29 at her best friends garage located at 4500 S. Grove Ave.  Forest View.
   Channel 9 news reported items such as clowns, clothes her earrings furniture and lots more would have to go!

She's selling CLOWNS????  Oh, I am SO there.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Berwyn Patsy

That's is pretty funny!  She said some one gave her a clown after she was in office, and then decided to
Start her own collection!  She muttered something about politicians being clowns.  Think she named any of them? Lol!

tgoddess

This just has "creepy movie-of-the-week" written all over it! 

I think Bonster needs to go and check to see if she has any outdoor xmas decorations she's selling!
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

MRS. NORTHSIDER

If you want anything you better head over there fast.  According to an article in the Tribune, hundreds of people converged on that garage looking for stuff and she was personally autographing things.  At the end of the article in the comments section some guy called OakLawnBill wrote "The town of Cicero is well known for its sizeable collection of clowns and everyone knows that they are always for sale".  Gotta love it.

Wilson

I think she used the clowns as examples when she applied her makeup.   ;D

Bonster

Quote from: tgoddess on September 02, 2011, 12:58:45 PM
This just has "creepy movie-of-the-week" written all over it! 

I think Bonster needs to go and check to see if she has any outdoor xmas decorations she's selling!

I love her.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-betty-lorenmaltese-holds-a-garage-sale-20110902,0,978085.story
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

~LL~

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on September 02, 2011, 07:28:30 AM

Ah - missed the 'holiday weekend' cuz that is this weekend.  Wish I'd have known sooner and gone this past Monday.  >:(
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

justme

I'm confused..is it THIS weekend or did it happen LAST weekend?

I would go just to checkout the circus....

Berwyn Patsy

It is today, tomorrow and Sunday, although I was there at 1:15 PM, and hardly anything left,
even her suits and shoes were going!   Channel 7 was there when I was there, Betty came out
to sign items that were bought and the reporter was interviewing her at the same time.
  I bought the last CLOWN item left.  It was a picture and signed by Daphne  99. Paid $10.00
for it!  I had Betty sign the glass.  She was smiling and thank me when I told her how much my mother loved her!
   Anyway, unless they refill the garage, nothing is really left.  If your a Betty fan or just curious,
it's worth the visit.

tlcnurse

My Dad went today & bought a boat in a bottle from Betty. She said that she has another container of stuff coming for the weekend sale. He said there was a line a half a block long to "check-out". The natives were not restless because Betty kept amusing the crowd with her one liners as he put it.

justme

Yep, more coming tomorrow:

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/berwyn/features/x1069105597/-Out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new-at-Betty-Loren-Malteses-garage-sale

'Out with the old, in with the new' at Betty Loren-Maltese's garage sale

By Brett Schweinberg, bschweinberg@mysuburbanlife.com
Posted Sep 02, 2011 @ 05:33 PM

Hundreds, perhaps as many as 1,000 people, attended a Stickney garage sale selling the possessions of convicted felon and former Cicero Town President Betty Loren-Maltese today, according to organizers of the event.

Porcelain clowns were the most highly sought item at the sale, with jewelry and shoes also moving out at a brisk pace.

The sale was going so well that Debbie Pender, a friend of Loren Maltese's who was helping with the sale, said another truckload of Loren-Maltese's belongings would be brought in tonight to restock for tomorrow's sale.

Loren-Maltese, who was has gone from being recognized as a well-loved town president to a face of corruption, spoke to onlookers at the garage sale today.

"Out with the old and in with the new," Loren-Maltese said at the sale, where $6 could get a shopper her old espresso machine and $24 would garner her microwave. "This is out of necessity more than anything... This is going to be for car repairs and different things because I'm only working part time."

While Loren-Maltese briefly had a stint as a waitress, she says she's now doing computer work part time from home for an investment company.

Loren-Maltese says she now lives in Palos Hills and has struggled to find full-time work because employers fear the government will continue to harass her.

"(The items for sale) all have little memories," Loren-Maltese said. "This was the only things the government didn't take."

Despite the unenviable circumstances, Loren-Maltese was in good spirits as she cashiered the sale of her former life's goods. She stopped to take photographs with fans, autographed items as she sold them to strangers, and even cracked jokes with old supporters.

"It's horrible that this has to happen, that everybody on the planet gets to rummage through her life and decide what it's worth," said Tim Arens, a Berwyn resident. "I'm hoping for a four-slice toaster. How cool would it be to have Betty Loren-Maltese's four-slice toaster?"

In the end, Arens bought a cheese slicer for 25 cents that he said he'd show off to friends if he got the opportunity.

Loren-Maltese is infamous for her role in an insurance fraud scheme that cost Cicero taxpayers more than $12 million. She was convicted of racketeering, conspiracy and fraud charges in 2002 and served eight years in jail.

Despite her conviction, Loren-Maltese is still a beloved figure for some. Most of the people at today's sale offered their support and condolences to Loren Maltese.

Sean Lynch drove up from Evergreen Park and even made a donation to Loren-Maltese, saying she got "robbed." He walked away with a permanent marker autograph on his bicep he planned to show off at a golf outing this weekend.

Others remembered Loren-Maltese as a capable town president who was tough on gangs and kind to seniors.

"I think she did a good job running the community and getting rid of the gangs," said Bob Salinas, a Stickney resident. "We need more people like her around, and I think the police should pay more attention to the gangs."

The garage sale, located at 4500 S. Grove Ave. in Forest Park, will remain open until 5 p.m. tonight. It will reopen on Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Sherman

She did eight years in the can?

I didn't realize that she was away for that long.

On a technical level, could she run again for Town President?  Is there a stipulation in the Town Constitution (or whatever) that prohibits convicted felons from holding that esteemed office?

pkd50

Bon,  That's my all time favorite picture of Betty.  That is one real classy broad, and I say that with love, what a hoot.

watcher

The garage sale, located at 4500 S. Grove Ave. in Forest Park, will remain open until 5 p.m. tonight. It will reopen on Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Way to go Suburban Life! That explains the gawkers I've seen around town.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

pkd50

joe martin

Leave Betty alone. don't you people have anything better to do.

Boris

Quote from: joe martin on September 03, 2011, 05:04:56 PM
Leave Betty alone. don't you people have anything better to do.

No, actually I don't.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Wilson

Betty is going to have another sale when she gets her things out of storage in Las Vegas.  She said she has a kitchen set and a king bedroom set that will be for sale.

Can you imagine having Betty's bed????  Yikes!

Berwyn Patsy

Of all the things Betty was said to have been or has done, being promiscuous (if that's what your
Referring to) I don't think she was.  She was more of a one man only woman, and very much in love
With Frank, but I am a romantic soul to begin with!