News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Emerson fenced-pit bull rampage

Started by Ted, July 28, 2011, 05:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/berwyn/news/education/x404070530/D100-board-compromises-on-Emerson-fence

D100 board compromises on Emerson fence

By Brett Schweinberg,
bschweinberg@mysuburbanlife.com
Berwyn Life
Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 12:19 AM

Berwyn, IL — Putting up a fence on the Clinton Avenue side of Emerson Elementary School became a surprisingly contentious issue at a South Berwyn School District 100 Board of Education meeting on Wednesday.

In the end, the board compromised on a shorter more decorative fence.

The debate began in May after a juvenile pit bull ran into the school's playground and knocked over about 10 children causing minor scrapes and bruises.

Originally, six-feet tall chain link fence was proposed, but residents of the 3100 block loudly voiced their opposition, calling it an eyesore.

Proponents of the fence argued that children's safety ought to be paramount and that a fence would help keep out unwanted people and animals.

After much debate and hand wringing, the board settled on a four-foot tall metal fence they considered more decorative. They also moved to close in the back portion of the playground, but leave one part of the Clinton Avenue side open.

Although the decorative fence costs about $15 more per foot, the project is not expected to cost more than $25,000.

psychomom

An eyesore? That's just silly. The other elementary schools all have fences. I can't believe they would worry about how a fence (to keep the children safe) would look.
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

EC

It sounds like an example of "NIMB" plus I think a highly rated board member lives across the street. At one time there may have been three that lived there.

tgoddess

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Ted

Quote from: EC on July 28, 2011, 07:32:27 AM
It sounds like an example of "NIMB" plus I think a highly rated board member lives across the street. At one time there may have been three that lived there.

One of the ex-board members (Davini) presented a petition to the board signed by people who live on Clinton across from the school. The petition was against a new fence.  Many people who live across the street from Emerson were there last night to voice their displeasure against the fence.

buzz

Quote from: Ted on July 28, 2011, 07:57:22 AM
  Many people who live across the street from Emerson were there last night to voice their displeasure against the fence.
I wonder if any of them have children attending Emerson.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

I wonder if any of them owned the dog?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Peridot 16

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on July 28, 2011, 11:48:17 AM
That is a terrible thing to say.
From what I understand, the principal, Ms. Massarella, stated she spoke with ALL the homeowners on Clinton, when in fact, she only spoke to 2 about a fence.  The city tore down 7 homes on Clinton to make way for this "green space", and should be kept as such. This is the 1st incident in 10 yrs. If she is so concerned about safety, maybe, she should consider folks on this block that have volunteered(no money involved) to supervise outside play for the Emerson kids, and she told them no, don't need 'em. Ms. Massarella, is concerned about the traffic down Clinton...it's the parents, not the homeowners. The worst are the parents that blast the radio while parked waiting for their kids, and they don't turn down the volume when the kids get in. She needs to get tough with the parents.

Robert Pauly

Let's say you were a licensed day care provider, Peridot, and provided day care to 15 7 year-olds in your unfenced backyard.  And one day out of nowhere, a Pitt Bull decides to join the party, knocking over all of the children and injuring some.  This causes you to call each parent / client with a description and explanation of the incident.  Would you say:

A.  This only happens once in 10 years, folks, so don't worry?
B.  My unfenced backyard is beautiful, and according to my standards, beauty trumps safety?
C.  Next time, I'm going to beat the crap out of that dog?
C.  I'm having a fence installed tomorrow?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Peridot 16 on July 29, 2011, 09:16:51 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on July 28, 2011, 11:48:17 AM
That is a terrible thing to say.
From what I understand, the principal, Ms. Massarella, stated she spoke with ALL the homeowners on Clinton, when in fact, she only spoke to 2 about a fence.  The city tore down 7 homes on Clinton to make way for this "green space", and should be kept as such. This is the 1st incident in 10 yrs. If she is so concerned about safety, maybe, she should consider folks on this block that have volunteered(no money involved) to supervise outside play for the Emerson kids, and she told them no, don't need 'em. Ms. Massarella, is concerned about the traffic down Clinton...it's the parents, not the homeowners. The worst are the parents that blast the radio while parked waiting for their kids, and they don't turn down the volume when the kids get in. She needs to get tough with the parents.

I don't think it is an unreasonable question.  If it was a puppy, it probably came from nearby.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Crunchie

Were any children actually hurt, or just the "kid" scrapes and bruises they get all the time?
What is a "juvenile" pit bull? A puppy?
Has this ever happened before?
Was the owner cited for violating the already existant leash laws?

There is way too much info missing here to make a call.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: psychomom on July 28, 2011, 06:19:52 AM
An eyesore? That's just silly. The other elementary schools all have fences. I can't believe they would worry about how a fence (to keep the children safe) would look.
+1.  It's not just an unleashed dog you have to worry about although there seem to be more and more of those roaming around (with and without the owner).  You have young children running around aside who could possibly bolt into the street and get hit by a car.  As for the principal getting tough with the parents, give me a break.  What would you like her to do?  Confront the obviously ignorant parents who sit in their vehicle with the music blasting - consider who she would be dealing with.  She most likely would be verbally assaulted if not possibly physically assaulted.  That's a job for the police to handle.  A fence was obviously needed for obvious reasons and it's the job of the school district to do everything they can to keep the children safe.  What's the old saying?  Better safe than sorry. 

Berwyn Patsy

It could have been a "juvenile delinquent" pit bull.

Ted

Quote from: Peridot 16 on July 29, 2011, 09:16:51 PM
....  From what I understand, the principal, Ms. Massarella, stated she spoke with ALL the homeowners on Clinton, when in fact, she only spoke to 2 about a fence....    

Massarella did not make any statements at the school board meeting on Wednesday, July 27 about the fence or meeting with homeowners on Clinton.

Where did you hear that she made a public statement that she met with homeowners on Clinton?

It sounded to me like the homeowners on the 3100 block of Clinton talked to Fields and to the school board members directly.  One school board member (Joanne Zendol) is a resident of the 3100 block of Clinton.

Ted

Here are some notes I took during the meeting:

Mr. Segretti - Teacher who was on duty when the pit bull rampage occurred. Said there were about 100 kids in the playground when the incident occurred. Said he tried to kick the dog and stop it. Said about 10 kids had scratches and minor injuries. Said the dog had no ID, tags or collar. Said there were only 2 or 3 adults in the playground at the time and that he was scared at the time that the pit bull would attack a child. Pointed out that Emerson is the only school in the district without a fence around its playground.  Said there was no excuse for not having a fence.

Mr Davini - Former D100 school board member who lives across the street from Emerson gave a petition to the board opposing the fence. Said he opposed the fence. Said the real problem was not enough adult supervision on the playground.  Repeated several times that a fence would not prevent a car from going into the playground.

Mr. Sassetti - Spoke on behalf of police department. Stated that the Berwyn Police Department was in favor of building a barrior around the playground. Said that he believed the fence would provide an added benefit. Said a fence would prevent dogs and human predators from getting into the playground. Talked about an incident in north Berwyn where a human predator tried to lure children into a car from a north Berwyn school. Said a fence would allow staff members from preventing unauthorized entry.

Mr. Pauly - Stated that his son was one of the kids who was knocked over by the pit bull. Said it was a frightening experience to get a phone call that your child was hurt in a playground because of a rampage by a pit bull.  Said the incident could have morphed into a more serious situation. Asked what the district's response would have been if more serious injuries had occurred. Said the district cannot put its head in the sand and do nothing. Said the district's #1 responsibility was to keep kids safe. Said that it defies logic that a fence would not be erected to protect children.

Resident of 3100 block on Clinton (I did not get the name) - Responded to Pauly by saying the #1 responsibility of the district is to educate children.  The quote I have in my notes is:  "The school's job is to educate children, not keep them safe. Enforce the leash laws."

Later on, one of the board members responded that the district could not educate children if they weren't safe.

Mother who was at the playground when the incident occurred - Said she was terrified when the incident occurred.  She said she grabbed her kids as fast as she could. Said that there should have been more staff in the playground since there were 100 kids in the playground.

Principal at Komensky - Talked about the fact she was glad there was a fence around the school when a lockdown occurred last year due to a shooting standoff a block from the school. Said having a fence with a locked gate made her feel the school was safer.

Berwyn Patsy

Could be the neighbors on the 3100 block of Clinton just might not like looking at a fence?
Adding more adult supervision, in my opinion would not stop any dog (especially a pit bull)
From causing an attack if that's what the dog had intentions of doing in the first place.
Maybe there would be less injuries with more supervision, but that's not a guarantee either.

~LL~

I doubt the dog was on a 'rampage' per se - word seems used just to sensationalize the story.  Besides - usually a 'rampage' indicates a group behaving in a violent manner... Whatever.  Seems obvious that too few adults 'supervising' so many children let out on a playground at one time. Dog running around playground or no dog running around playground - that many kids being 'supervised' by so few adults does seem a recipe for trouble that a fence will not ameliorate at all.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Roger

While a fence might not be enough to prevent all trouble, it certainly ameliorates the situation.

OakParkSpartan

A fence seems reasonable, but 3 adults for 100 kids seems rather light on the supervision side.

I also think educating kids is the #1 job of the schools.  However, they also have a responsibility to keep the kids safe while in their care.

Rampage also seems to be a sensational word.  If it was a puppy, a hundred playmates running around probably just excited the animal.

What's the deal with referring to people as "human predators"?  

Bonster

I thought it was "human" predators, not "human predators."
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"