News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Council passes plan to stop bad street behavior

Started by A.Malina, June 13, 2007, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Malina

"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Bear

"Among the activities that will be banned are smoking near buildings in commercial areas, lying on the sidewalk, public urination and defecation, drinking in public, possessing a shopping cart and shouting in public."

Geez...They might ask me to move
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Crunchie

rbain

Have you spent much time in Berkley? These rules seem silly until you spend some time on Telegraph, or many areas in San Francisco. Imagine homeless junkies by the dozen wandering Lake st. in Oak Park fighting for space with trinket sellers and "weekend homless" teenagers from wealthy suburbs. All of this just outside the door of your $900k home.
-Rob
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

A.Malina

Quote from: rbain on June 14, 2007, 08:18:40 AM
Have you spent much time in Berkley? These rules seem silly until you spend some time on Telegraph, or many areas in San Francisco. Imagine homeless junkies by the dozen wandering Lake st. in Oak Park fighting for space with trinket sellers and "weekend homless" teenagers from wealthy suburbs. All of this just outside the door of your $900k home.
-Rob

Try Minneapolis:
http://www.startribune.com/kersten/story/1244588.html
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

A.Malina

from the Minneapolis article:

"George Kelling, a criminologist and an architect of the miraculous plunge in New York City's crime rate in the 1990s:  "Failure to act on livability crimes can send a city into a downward spiral. Once that happens," warns Kelling, "it takes heroic efforts to turn things around."

That means graffiti, noise and other "livability crimes" need to be vigorously opposed every time they appear.