News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Mr Castrogiovanni, I did my homework.

Started by Aimee, August 15, 2005, 10:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aimee

I can not find the post about asking the health dept about a potluck for the board. So I started a new one, where is it?!
Anyway I spoke to beth pechous about this issue. She  said not a very good Idea (dont attack her, let me explain)
She says there is no way to determine the temp of the food, and to hold it to  certain temp is very hard to do.
Also if by any chance there was a food issue that might be a concern, and people got sick, someone would be held responsible. She suggested that we all pitch in and have it catered, or (if a must have)have someone who is food cert to monitor this potluck thing.  That is the answer I recieved, dont attack the messenger or the health dept. for these questions asked, please.

Bru67

I think your hearts are in the right place but I see the HD's point.  Perhaps a Taste of Berwyn where local restaurants set up booths and we promote it to out of towners so they can see what great restaurants we have and they come back and spend money here -- KO, Salerno's, Lalo's, Mi Terra, Czech Plaza, Novi Beef, Grounds for Appeal, Vesecky's Bakery, Lola's, et al.  We've got a lot of restaurants who could use the spotlight.  Don't know if that's ever been tried or not but seems like a good idea. 

OakParkSpartan

There was a Taste of Berwyn or something like that last year.  About 5 restaurants if I recall.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

jqpublic

Pretty amusing. Our alleys are turning into landfills and the health dept. is concerned with food temperature.

I wonder if they can tell me at what temperature a bag of garbage lying in the sun has to be before it begins to putrify.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Berwyn GOP

Thnaks for the follow up, Aimee:

The whole point of the original inquiry was not for the Berwyn Businesses, but for the poster's here. We all seem to have our own unique tastes in foods, we are from diverse ethnic backgrounds and I felt, as an Italian, that none of the Italian restaurants cook traditional, homemade dishes like I grew up with and cook. I asked Aimee to find out what the Health Department would require for us to have a "Taste of Berwyn" amongst ourselves. A potluck dinner, but held at a public place, either outside or in an establishment that held the appropriate licenses and certifications.

If this group is small enough, we could probably get a picnic license for Proksa Park and do a potluck as picnicers.

ruffian