Drugs and gangs -- in Oak Park? It can't be true!

Started by A.Malina, November 19, 2008, 02:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Malina

Drug use on rise in Oak Park

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/oakpark/news/1285979,op-crime-111908-s1.article

Excerpt:

If a gang would ever seize control of a block, the graffiti would start cropping up. Williams said he's always monitoring the village's alleys for signs.

So ... in areas where graffiti is(and has been) "cropping up", does that mean it's too late?
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Bonster

My Oak Park cube mate says it's getting ridiculous there...by his standards, of course.

It ain't just Berwyn.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Vigilance called for to combat break-ins
http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/lagrange/news/x1196575290/Vigilance-called-for-to-combat-break-ins-suspect-in-custody

La Grange patrol officers have been busy reminding residents that it's good to lock doors and windows if they want to avoid a burglary.

Meanwhile, a 17-year-old La Grange man arrested early Sunday  on the 800 block of Madison Avenue admitted to about 60 break-ins after a resident reported seeing him hiding in bushes.

Officers on the midnight shift this year have made more than 750 security notifications to residents with windows, doors and garages open or unlocked.

The reason, said Police Chief Michael Holub, is an increase in thefts from vehicles in La Grange and surrounding communities. Since June, more than 80 incidences of car break-ins have been reported. The frustrating thing, Holub said, is that 80 percent of those involved unlocked vehicles.

"We've been trying to remind our residents from keeping stuff out of plain view and to lock their vehicles," he said.

A.Malina

Quote from: Bonster on November 19, 2008, 02:53:50 PM
http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/lagrange/news/x1196575290/Vigilance-called-for-to-combat-break-ins-suspect-in-custody

La Grange patrol officers have been busy reminding residents that it's good to lock doors and windows if they want to avoid a burglary.

"We've been trying to remind our residents from keeping stuff out of plain view and to lock their vehicles," he said.

Many, many auto burglary reports each week in Berwyn (and probably everywhere else, too)  start with some woman reporting she left her purse -- containing wallet, license, cash, SS card, whatever -- sitting in plain view on the front seat of her unlocked car...
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Mike Iniquez

Evil prevails when good people stand by and do nothing.........................

~LL~

Quote from: A.Malina on November 19, 2008, 02:58:23 PM
Quote from: Bonster on November 19, 2008, 02:53:50 PM

Many, many auto burglary reports each week in Berwyn (and probably everywhere else, too)  start with some woman reporting she left her purse -- containing wallet, license, cash, SS card, whatever -- sitting in plain view on the front seat of her unlocked car...

And some--both male and female--leave the car running! while they pop into the 7-11, etc.  Whaaa?
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

My in-laws (in their early 80's) are in a state of shock after being informed by the police that the house next door was robbed.  They live in a nice area of Wood Dale in a somewhat newer subdivision (their house is 20 years old).  The kicker is my father-in-law had just gotten up from a nap when the doorbell rang and he opened it to find a black man asking for directions to the train station which is not far from them, which he politely gave.  According to the police this was about the same time the robbery occurred.  I guess they were scoping out the block to see who was home.  They were so lucky that it wasn't a home invasion.   

Berwyn Patsy

This type of robbery can happen any where at any time.  The news T.V./newspapers
have started to remind people this time of year is always the busiest for robbers.
The economy has  helped show an increase in crime this year.
It must have been scary for your in-laws.

Ana

"Without addressing the potential problem, organized street gangs could take control of blocks and create a sweeping change to Oak Park's demographic landscape."

This is a key statement.  A statement that could mean their drug/gang problem might not get to the point where Berwyn's problem is today.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

TannerBoyle

Quote from: A.Malina on November 19, 2008, 02:44:46 PM
Drug use on rise in Oak Park

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/oakpark/news/1285979,op-crime-111908-s1.article

Excerpt:

If a gang would ever seize control of a block, the graffiti would start cropping up. Williams said he's always monitoring the village's alleys for signs.

So ... in areas where graffiti is(and has been) "cropping up", does that mean it's too late?

Oak Park is about 25% black.

A.Malina

Quote from: Ana on November 19, 2008, 08:47:31 PM
"Without addressing the potential problem, organized street gangs could take control of blocks and create a sweeping change to Oak Park's demographic landscape."

This is a key statement.  A statement that could mean their drug/gang problem might not get to the point where Berwyn's problem is today.
Yes, but once it's no longer "potential" , is there no turning back?

truman40

Well I just joined the club. My garage was broken into yesterday and they stole my pride and
joy mitre-saw. The door does not look like it was broken into so I probably left the door unlocked. Complacency, complacency, complacency on my part, my motion light has been out since last year and I never replaced it, but I will today.
Not to sound too bitter but I did get a ticket today also for not displaying my city sticker correctly. Apparently you cannot have 3 city stickers on display at the same time or you can you just need to have the current one at the bottom.
Crime is crime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Bear

"Apparently you cannot have 3 city stickers on display at the same time or you can you just need to have the current one at the bottom."

Book him Dano!
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

OakParkSpartan

I don't think it matters how many city stickers you have.  At one point we had 3 on our windshield. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Mike Iniquez

OPS.

Some towns have adopted a new ordinance that states you can not have more than 3 past city stickers on your windshield. I guess it most have confused the ticket writers.  :fiveoh:  I'm not sure if Berwyn did.
Evil prevails when good people stand by and do nothing.........................

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Clam Diver on November 20, 2008, 09:20:14 AM
OPS.

Some towns have adopted a new ordinance that states you can not have more than 3 past city stickers on your windshield. I guess it most have confused the ticket writers.  :fiveoh:  I'm not sure if Berwyn did.

I don't recall seeing/hearing that come through council.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

that must not apply to parking stickers...drive down OPA in OP...you'll see cars with 10+ stickers on their rear windows.

Boris

Quote from: Bonster on November 20, 2008, 10:01:59 AM
that must not apply to parking stickers...drive down OPA in OP...you'll see cars with 10+ stickers on their rear windows.

Those stickers are for individual parking zones, I believe.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

J'sMom

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on November 19, 2008, 07:05:43 PM
My in-laws (in their early 80's) are in a state of shock after being informed by the police that the house next door was robbed.  They live in a nice area of Wood Dale in a somewhat newer subdivision (their house is 20 years old).  The kicker is my father-in-law had just gotten up from a nap when the doorbell rang and he opened it to find a black man asking for directions to the train station which is not far from them, which he politely gave.  According to the police this was about the same time the robbery occurred.  I guess they were scoping out the block to see who was home.  They were so lucky that it wasn't a home invasion.   

Are you saying that because the man who asked for directions was black, he must be a burglar?

Bonster

Quote from: truman40 on November 20, 2008, 08:51:43 AM
Well I just joined the club. My garage was broken into yesterday and they stole my pride and
joy mitre-saw. The door does not look like it was broken into so I probably left the door unlocked.

That's sucks; sorry to hear that.  Was your overhead door open, or your service door?

I've had stuff taken from my garage from failing to close the door. 
I use a garage door monitor now as a reminder in case the overhead door is left open.

They can be purchased on ebay from $15-25 (search for "915LM"), can be set up for multiple doors with multiple monitors, and do a great job.  Small sensor attached to the door with velco; receiver inside.  Great for those with alleys and no view of the door.
(replace the remote battery yearly before winter)

They now also have automatic door closers, which can be set for predetermined amounts of time so you'll never have to worry about forgetting:
http://www.chamberlain-garage-door-openers.com/garagebutler.htm