News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Drugs and gangs -- in Oak Park? It can't be true!

Started by A.Malina, November 19, 2008, 02:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truman40

Bons- That is actually a pretty cool product. I guess I was just alittle spoiled since honestly there isn't much real crime in my area, at least that I know of,,,,

I am thinking it was the service door that I left open because the back gate was left open and I never use that gate, except to throw out the trash. Are we allowed to lock our back gate to the alley? I thought someone told me we cannot legally do that.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Bonster

Quote from: truman40 on November 20, 2008, 11:45:18 AM
Bons- That is actually a pretty cool product. I guess I was just alittle spoiled since honestly there isn't much real crime in my area, at least that I know of,,,,
Blotter action:
http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=5853.0 

Quote from: truman40 on November 20, 2008, 11:45:18 AM
I am thinking it was the service door that I left open because the back gate was left open and I never use that gate, except to throw out the trash. Are we allowed to lock our back gate to the alley? I thought someone told me we cannot legally do that.

My next door neighbor to the south and the guy next to him both lock theirs...
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tgoddess

Don't remember where I heard it, but maybe it's a fire-code issue?
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

EC

Gates that are directly connected to an exit out of a building cannot be locked, like gates in narrow gangways that are the only means out. But gates that are connected to yards can be locked as you have a means of escaping from the building into a yard before you get to the gate.

truman40

Note to self,,,,,,pickup motion detector light and lock for back gate, thx.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

tgoddess

Can't find a thing specifically addressing locking your alley gate in the Berwyn Muncipal Code. 

So it's probably okay to lock away, though if the FD ever has to get into your backyard from the alley...might be something to think about...
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

dukesdad

A locked gate won't stop the fire department, or anyone else, from getting in your yard if they want to. Locks are an inconvenience for honest people.

watcher

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Crunchie

Quote from: Clam Diver on November 20, 2008, 09:20:14 AMSome towns have adopted a new ordinance that states you can not have more than 3 past city stickers on your windshield. I guess it most have confused the ticket writers.  :fiveoh: 
More likely it's just a stupid arbitrary law designed to generate revenue. I got a ticket for taping my sticker to the window ecause it wouldn't stick by itself.

Lt. Col. Frank Slade

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on November 20, 2008, 09:11:39 AM
I don't think it matters how many city stickers you have.  At one point we had 3 on our windshield. 
It is the law, thats what the judge said to the lady in court the last time I got a ticket for parking. He also admonished her for being to lazy to remove the old ones which I thought was going to far.
You're in no position to disagree with me boy I got a loaded .45 here. You got pimples.

A.Malina

Quote from: Ana on November 19, 2008, 08:47:31 PM
"Without addressing the potential problem, organized street gangs could take control of blocks and create a sweeping change to Oak Park's demographic landscape."

This is a key statement.  A statement that could mean their drug/gang problem might not get to the point where Berwyn's problem is today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081120/ap_on_sc/sci_messing_up_3

Excerpt:

Does a messy neighborhood make a difference on how people act? It sure does! Graffiti on the walls, trash in the street, bicycles chained to a fence, all resulted in a decline in how people behaved in a series of experiments.

Bicycles chained to a fence??
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow