Rapper sent to jail for "cop-killing" song.

Started by Ana, August 11, 2009, 11:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ana

Rapper gets 2 years for 'cop-killing' song

Florida rapper Antavio Johnson, 20, was sentenced to two years on two counts of corruption by threat of a public servant for a song he wrote called 'Kill Me a Cop.'

Police officers investigating gang activity on the web found the song on his MySpace page.

The song said "Im'ma kill me a cop one day." And named the two police officers.

Some lawyers say the charges can be appealed since the first amendment gives Johnson the right to express his frustrations through song lyrics and other forms of artistic expression.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/crime_scene/2009/08/rapper-gets-2-years-for-copkilling-song.html
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

rbain

I think this is problematic. By that I mean not clear either way. I'm very uneasy about JAIL time for a song, but also very uneasy about using the actual names of officers. Without the actual names, I'd say jail is totally uncalled for, and had the penalty been probation or a fine, I'd say good.

-Rob
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

OakParkSpartan

I'm very uncomfortable with inciting someone to murder a police officer.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

rbain

Yeah, but he didn't stand up and shout "go kill a cop". I think it's very offensive, and is probably on the cusp of incitement, but I think there IS a gray area there. I'm also offended by Bill O'Reilly's constant "Tiller the baby killer" obsession, and that ended with Tiller's death. O'Reilly has a much bigger platform and presents himself as a news figure rather than a rap context, but no one has proposed two years in the clink for Bill-O.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Crunchie

So, are we to assume that the nanny state has decided we're all too stupid to know the difference between fantasy and reality? If so, we'll soon see little boys get busted for playing with GI Joe toys.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Crunchie on August 11, 2009, 04:32:14 PM
So, are we to assume that the nanny state has decided we're all too stupid to know the difference between fantasy and reality? If so, we'll soon see little boys get busted for playing with GI Joe toys.
Unfortunately, for the gangbanging thugs or wannabes, all they need (if that) is the tiniest bit of encouragement to turn the fantasy into reality.  Although I do agree with Rob on the fact that without the officers names, jail time would not have been appropriate - you know, that freedom of speech thing protected in the Constitution.

n01_important

I saw a movie last night... Smokin' Aces.  It depicted a dozen or so  :fiveoh: getting shot.  Let's jail the producer.

While we are at it, let's also jail the actors, the writers, distributors and their families.

BTW, since we are giving police officers special protections... should we demand them to be model citizens? 

So, you know, if a 8 ft. 300 lbs. 5-O gets drunk and beats on a 5 ft. 100 lb. waitress, he would be judged at a higher standard then regular citizens that aren't given special protections.

I mean, doesn't it say that we have a sick form of priorities that encourages the government spend resources in putting a guy like this on trial to uphold special protection to a group of people... but ignores the single mom who begs the police to save her from her demented boyfriend that threatens her life.  The bf, then kills her one day. 

Shouldn't the government spend resources investigating her claims?

We live in one f*cked up society.
Stupid fuck

Ana

He wasn't jailed for writing and recording a song about killing cops, it was the fact that he named those that he wanted to kill or have killed, specifically. 
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby