News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Tamale Hut Cafe

Started by Shelley, April 09, 2007, 11:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Quote from: scungili on January 24, 2011, 11:34:21 AM
I prefer Supreme over Tom-Tom myself ... but these tamales go best w/ a hotdog & fresh-cut fries ala Gene & Jude's.  A Tamale Hut or Tamale Guy tamale doesn't go as well.  Much like there's a certain chili that belongs on a chili-dog ... on its own I like a chili with hunks of beef or shredded beef along with whatever vegetables might be used, but for a chili-dog it's gotta be more hormel-like.
+1

They're also better for mother-in-laws and such than real tamales.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Oh, and I agree:

Supreme paste masquerading as a beef filling >> Tom-Tom paste masquerading as a beef filling

Peridot 16

Quote from: bonster on January 22, 2011, 09:39:34 AM
57th and Kedzie, 47th & Washtenaw?  How convenient! ;D

I've never tried Mi Tierra, deterred by the bathroom incident, but that chicken/potato dish still sounds delicious.  Were not they offered/guaranteed a spot in the reconfiguration of that corner?

Don't know and don't care to know about any bathroom incident at Mi Tierra. I believe they were offered a spot, don't know if they accepted. All I know, is we like the food, the carne es su jugo,camarones a chilazo, chicken tinga, our fave is the parrillada. Gonna miss this place.
We don't think driving to Rosa's is inconvenient for some of the best oaxaquena tamales we have had. Hell, we drive to 79th and Neenah, Chuck's Southern Comfort Cafe, for breakfast. They have a build your own omelette for $6.95, choice of 2 meats, 2 veggies, 1 cheese, and sides of a pancake, biscuit & gravy or toast, with a side of hashbrowns,  my fave is the huevos mutelenos for $7.49. When they have the cajun meatloaf or the cochita pibil on the monthly specials we try to make a point of getting there.

Bonster

I can crawl to Tamale Hut, and pass it on a regular basis.  If I'm heading toward 57th and Kedzie it's surely a directed approach, and I guess I'm just not that crazed enough by tamales to do that, but... inspired by your passion I probably will. :) 

Here's the dish at Mi Tierra I want to try (still, 5 years later...):
Quote from: RevDEO on February 26, 2006, 09:32:02 PM
I have been enjoying Mi Tierra on Cermak at Harlem for ten years now, and was there tonight. I go there whenever I want a real Margarita. If I just want "kool-aid" the other places will suffice.

My favorite entre at Mi Tierra is Plato Chilazo, a plate of real mashed potatoes (very tasty and good!) topped with grilled chicken strips and an incredible creamy sauce with just a touch of heat and lots of flavor from chipotle peppers. I've had this again and again, and it's absolutely one of the best dishes I've had anywhere.

scungili

Quote from: Peridot 16 on January 24, 2011, 10:16:38 PM
... Hell, we drive to 79th and Neenah, Chuck's Southern Comfort Cafe, for breakfast ...

Chuck's is pretty awesome.  Haven't been to the new location on 79th (where Champ's Rock Room used to be) but the meals I've had there have always been tasty.  It's not that bad of a drive depending on day & time.  Traffic on Cicero from Midway to that big bridge just south of the airport can suck and Harlem is a crap shoot, but the food is damn good.

What's their new bar - the Voodoo Lounge - like?  Is it "swanky" or just a sports bar w/ Texas license plates nailed to the walls?

Peridot 16

Not swanky, no TX. plates nailed to the wall. Huge selection of beers.

tgoddess

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie