News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Salernos on Grove

Started by LindaB, February 10, 2008, 08:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Looking at that website, all I can think of is Brokeback Mountain.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

renovatorbear

Quote from: poppy on February 10, 2008, 09:45:15 AM
havent been to the roosevelt place in a long time

We gave the Roosevelt location a try a few weeks ago.  The pizza (thin crust) was tough and we won't be going back for another.  But the chicken parmesean was quite good.

Berwyn Patsy

Wouldn't Arnie have to apply for an entertainment license from the city ?
I will be curious to see how young of a crowd it may draw.

A.Malina

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on February 10, 2008, 10:34:12 AM
Wouldn't Arnie have to apply for an entertainment license from the city ?
I will be curious to see how young of a crowd it may draw.

The license has been in place since around Thanksgiving:

Berwyn Police Blotter
New entertainment permit noticed by Depot District neighbors

November 25, 2007, 12:22 AM
Callers complained to police of loud music coming from Salerno's restaurant in the 3200 block of Grove.  Officers spoke with the owner, a Darien woman, who said it was their first evening with their new entertainment permit.  She agreed to turn down the volume.
2:36 AM
Police returned to Salerno's after more noise complaints came in.  This time, they told the owner to turn off the music.  Delores A. Salerno, 48, received a local ordinance ticket for use of premises to disturb the peace.
Posted by Editor on 11/29
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Thor

OH MY GOD!!!
Young people having a good time in Berwyn!!!  >:(
Quick call the cops!!!!

I was there on Saturday and we had a great pizza. We were told there was a DJ and dancing latter in the evening.
As long as they obey the laws and keep the music level in check, what's the problem.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

ZORBA

The entertainment license was in place before the renovations. More than enough space for a dance club if all the chairs and tables are taken out.

p.s. OPS may be on to something.

Bonster

Quote from: renovatorbear on February 10, 2008, 10:32:10 AM
Quote from: poppy on February 10, 2008, 09:45:15 AM
havent been to the roosevelt place in a long time

We gave the Roosevelt location a try a few weeks ago.  The pizza (thin crust) was tough and we won't be going back for another.  But the chicken parmesean was quite good.

If you want something really good at the real Salerno's get the Chicken a la Salerno.  It's like a chicken/snausage/potato deal that's fkg excellent.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: SILK on February 10, 2008, 11:21:54 AM

LOL!!! You're right!  If anyone thinks that's a girl on the front page, they never had sex with don't know transvestites!

www.salernosbar.com

Hogzilla

Quote from: Bonster on February 10, 2008, 11:41:43 AM
Quote from: SILK on February 10, 2008, 11:21:54 AM

LOL!!! You're right!  If anyone thinks that's a girl on the front page, they never had sex with don't know transvestites!

www.salernosbar.com

Oh snap! You're right! Yikes.

I am hearing Salerno's Swan Song. The food was terrible when I went so it's no surprise.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Berwyn Patsy

I wonder if the menu changes after 9:00 P.M., on Friday and Sat. nights?  Could you still order and have a pizza delivered?

ZORBA

I guess you can still get a pizza if you do a little pole dance.

I hear there business is much improved on fri and sat nights since they turned it into a nightclub.

Hogzilla

I really don't think there will be the problems like the Windsor has. Gay bars don't really attract that element.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

apatriot

yes, it seems between Salernos and the Windsor, the DD is forging in the right direction. yeeeeHAaaaa  HiHo Silver.

Considering we are trying to develop the DD into (something), maybe there should be a limit on how late these places are open.

How late are the following open:

James Joyce
OoT
Windsor
Salernos
Cherry Lounge
Garvs

if police were at Salernos at 2:36 a.m., I'm guessing they close at 3:00 a.m.

2:00 a.m. should be plenty for any bar.

ZORBA

Salerno's has a license until three.

I would just like to know which residents complained. as far as I can see, there aren't too many neighbors to this establishment.

Berwyn Patsy

The Condos on Grove are right across the street from Salerno's and there are houses
across the alley from Salerno's. Plenty of neighbors who could be disturbed by loud noises or
a rukus in the middle of the night.

ZORBA

Oh, okay.

Maybe they should just shut the place down.

Bonster

Quote from: truman40 on February 10, 2008, 10:22:51 AM
We were there on Friday for our favorite Lenten treat, Dee's Pizza, spinach, onion and ricotta cheese on a thin crust pizza, yum!!!

Truman-
I hope you asked for their extra thin crust, cuz their regular thin crust is akin to coating an old army jacket with ketchup and melted plastic.  Bleeeacchh!!!

I think Paul described it best a few times (interestingly, a year apart from each):
Quote from: Paul Fuentes on January 20, 2006, 12:31:18 AMThe debate goes on.  The carboard of Villa Nova or the styrofoam of Salerno's.  ????  You pesenovantes continue to take sides against the families of Berwyn.
Quote from: Paul Fuentes on January 21, 2007, 10:26:07 PM
you can find a similar taste to the NOW Salerno's if you throw some red sauce left in open bins next to a door open to the adjoining alley atop a 1" piece of styrofoam and skimp on cheese and toppings.

LOL!!!

At least when Casciani's moved from 16th St (?)  they kept a good quality pizza.  Not kidding.

frankie

i remember when i was a teenager going to cascianis on 16th st and harry would come from the back all sweaty from lifting weights wiping his armpits and saying who needs a slice, needless to say we all lost our appetites LOL

truman40

Bonster, I have never eaten an old army jacket with ketchup and melted plastic so I can't verify your comparison. But you know I keep hearing on this board over and over how one Salerno's is better than the other. I have eaten at both and I like both, and judging from the crowds at the two Salerno's I am not alone.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Bonster

Quote from: truman40 on February 10, 2008, 05:18:02 PM
Bonster, I have never eaten an old army jacket with ketchup and melted plastic so I can't verify your comparison.

How about Paul's comparisons (above)?  Ever try styrofoam?