News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Great Books

Started by T-Stan RPCV, April 18, 2005, 05:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Stan RPCV

Always searching for that next great book.  The one that will ruin every book I read for the next few months because they can't possibly compare.  Any great book suggestions?  Not a "good" book or an "OK" book.   A great books pisses off all your friends and family because you won't stop talking about it until they read it.  And once they've been force fed, you somehow manage to spin every conversation, no matter how irrelevent, back to the book.  If a book has the potential to allienate friends or ruin families, then its great.

A couple of my favorates:

"A Game of Thrones"  George RR Martin, 1st of a three book series, a fourth will be out this year.  Almost/if not as good as LOR (blasphemy).  First couple hundred pages are slow, but after that, don't make any plans for a few weeks.  Anyone who likes Tolkein must read.

"A Prayer for Owen Meany"  John Irving, read it 6 or 7 years ago and it still stands out as a favorate.

markberwyn

When it comes to lighter beach reading, I'm a huge -- huge -- fan of George Pelecanos, who I think is the best crime writer going these days. All of his novels are set in Washington DC and usually feature hipsters of some stripe (there are a *lot* of music references) getting into the gritty underbelly of the city. What's nice is that Pelecanos is really smart about race and class divides in the city, and he writes in really strong hard-boiled language. "Drama City" is his new one, but "King Suckerman" is my favorite. (Pelecanos is also one of the many great writers on "The Wire," which for my money is the best show on TV, easy.

As far as heavier stuff goes, David Mitchell's "Cloud Atlas" is a genuine head-spinner, Ian McEwan's "Saturday" is good (though "Amsterdam" is better), David B.'s "Epileptic" is as good as graphic novels get, and Marilynne Robinson's "Gilead" is just about the most beautiful thing ever.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

saluki

For a side splitting laughs, I highly recommend anything by David Sedaris. 

On a more serious note, I'm also a huge Alex Kotlowicz fan.  His book "There Are No Children Here" details one family's struggle of living in a cycle of poverty and being trapped in Chicago's public housing system.  In particular, it documents the true story of two brothers who grow up in the projects by the United Center and how their childhood is far from anything probably anyone on this board has experienced.  I think that all older children and above should read this book. 

Another Kotlowicz book I highly recommend is "The Other Side of the River" which chronicles the racial inequalities and injustices of two communities in southwest Michigan, St. Joseph and Benton Harbor (one community 99% white and the other approx. 99% African American).  One of the brothers in "There Are No Children Here" assisted Alex Kotlowicz in gathering research and interviewing residents to find out what really happened to an African American teenage boy who was murdered and body found on the St. Joe side of the river.

Also, Alex Kotlowicz is an Oak Park resident.

kmcase

I just finished reading The Known World by Edward P. Jones and it was fantastic.  The writing is beautiful and the story intriguing.  I believe it won the National Book Award. 

java

some favorites...

Epic Novels:  Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Inspiration:  Its not about the Bike by Lance Armstrong
Current Social:  The Working Poor by David Shipler
Humor:  Women by Charles Bukowsky
Children's:  But Not the Hippopotamus by Sandra Boynton
The City of Homers

kmcase

I know that Oak Park has a couple of book clubs that meet periodically.  Does anyone know if Berwyn has any book clubs? 

jqpublic

"A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole is a real gem of a book.

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

ruffian

Well, I thought we would keep going with the political Berwyn chitchat so that we let the IVB know that we are not going to drop the ball, but it seems many of you have run out of steam after launching the new administration.  So be it.

So we are talking books.  Now here's a line used on all these Jerry Springer type shows:  "Now, you know I love you, right? .... BUT .....  thank god none of you are books reviewers.  I wouldn't know any more about the books you suggest than I know what the IVB will do about overcrowding.

Come on ... if you recommend a book ... say why ... what you like about it ... without giving away too much, what is the story about or what it is about the author that captivates you.

kmcase

Ruffian--if you want to continue talking politics, go to the politics section of this listserve.  This section is about books.  What is wrong with you?  Do you have to criticize everything anyone does?  We are simply listing books we like.  If one of us wants more information about a specific book, we will ask for it...in a nice, non-condescending way.  Jeez.  Maybe you should go back to the old listserve.  That's more your speed, I think. 

saluki

Great, Ruffian.  Then why don't you start an appropriate book review and give us your detailed book recommendations?  Remember, this is just a bulletin board, not the New York Times Book Review. :) 

Some of us do have interests outside of politics, we are not unidimensional, contrary to some others' beliefs.

T-Stan RPCV

Who said this board was dull?  Just needs a little time.  We can turn a book discussion into WWIII.  I have faith.

How bout' politics in the form of a book?

Jon Stewart's "America the Book - A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction".  Thomas Jefferson pens an excellent forward.  Not quite as good as the "Declaration of Independance" but hey, if anyone can return from the grave after a couple hundred years and pull it off, TJ can.

Best political/history text book of last year and one of the funniest books I've ever read.  Should be required reading for all high school American History classes.  Great bathroom reader.

ruffian

ruffian sings the old WAR tune ... why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends ... ah hem ok I know ... get my butt in the Music forum

ruffian reads the best seller

The Life and Times of Saluki        and also the ever so popular

kmcase:  The Early Years

markweiner

Am I missing something here?  All these readers and we have one, count 'em, one bookstore in all of Berwyn, population 54,000.  And that bookstore is a used bookstore in the depot district.  I would love to get a Borders/Barnes & Noble to the Service Merchandise Mart. I suspect the readers of this great and powerful forum would also like another bookstore. 

Just my two cents.  And, has anyone seen the new nickels?

MarkWeiner1@Hotmail.com

T-Stan RPCV

A book store with a cafe/music selection.  Check out Border's at Lake & Harlem in Oak Park.  Live accoustical performances in their cafe on weekends.  Couches and chairs to read.  Great stuff!  That Borders would be unlikely to move in considering they already have set up in Oak Park and LaGrange.  Not sure about Barnes and Noble, but a  book store/cafe would be a great fit for the community.

Seen the new nickels - to think, there was probably a lot of thought and ideas put into it not to mention various committees and other groups reviewing and approving the design.  Scary!

josephinet3

The Berwyn Public Library has three book groups that currently meet:

Night Owls meets on the 3rd Wednesday of every month from 7-9 in the Board Room of the library.  The next book they are discussing is In Cold Blood by Truman Capote on the 18th.

Another adult group meets the 3rd Thursday of every month from 2-4 in the Board Room.  They will be discussing Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini on the 19th.

The third group is a mother/daughter book discussion group.  They will read/discuss The Secret Garden by Frances H. Burnett.  They are meeting on Saturday, May 14th at 10:30 am in the Community Room.

The library provides copies of books for all participants.

Call the Readers Advisory department with any questions 795-8000 X3005.

jqpublic

Quote from: markberwyn on April 18, 2005, 11:21:28 PM
When it comes to lighter beach reading, I'm a huge -- huge -- fan of George Pelecanos, who I think is the best crime writer going these days.

Thanks for the heads-up on Pelecanos, that's a neglected genre these days. You might like the Matthew Scudder novels by Lawrence Block. Block writes a hell of hard boiled detective story.

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Zen

A new book that came out that all Berwynites might be interested in is;
Images of America BERWYN by Douglas Deuchler
A book signing will be at the Berwyn Library on 5/22/05 at 2pm.
Wonderful pictures and articles about what else, Berwyn.
The book can be bought at Borders or during the book signing on May 22nd.
Enjoy! A wonderful gift for all of Berwynites. The (new) Mayor already has a copy. Let us know what you think of it.....

Northsider--NOT Northside 7

Quote from: T-Stan RPCV on April 22, 2005, 01:36:50 PM
A book store with a cafe/music selection.  Check out Border's at Lake & Harlem in Oak Park.  Live accoustical performances in their cafe on weekends.  Couches and chairs to read.  Great stuff!  That Borders would be unlikely to move in considering they already have set up in Oak Park and LaGrange.  Not sure about Barnes and Noble, but a  book store/cafe would be a great fit for the community.

Seen the new nickels - to think, there was probably a lot of thought and ideas put into it not to mention various committees and other groups reviewing and approving the design.  Scary!
Nobody would buy them, they would just sit in there all day and read them. Are Bohunk's cheap or frugal?
Clowns to left of me; Jokers to the right; Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.