Landscaping ideas/examples

Started by Boris, April 08, 2008, 10:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boris

Quote from: Vic0218 on April 09, 2008, 10:51:49 PM
Boris -

What a beautiful yard! Unfortunately you've given my husband illusions of grandeur.  :-\

Where did you get the paving stones in the front of the house? We want to do something similar in our side yard. Also, where do you buy your plants?

The stone:

Joseph Metz & Son
8136 Ogden Ave, Lyons, IL
(708) 447-6662

...real close, and the best price I could find, this side of Peoria. If I remember correctly, it was about .18¢/pound, delivered. We needed one ton...it was about $350.

Plants:

Midwest Groundcovers
PO Box 748
St. Charles, IL 60174
Phone: 847-742-1790

Prosek Greenhouses‎
28W140 High Lake Rd
Winfield, IL 60190
(630) 231-4992
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Puttintange

;DSomeone has a green thumb. Hope to see more pics. :coreyhart:
Pray! Pray! Pray! O:)

rudemon

I really like the stone path. Is that regular grass growing between them? Did you just put the stones directly in the dirt or did you put sand or gravel under each one? Looks great!

Boris

Quote from: rudemon on April 13, 2008, 06:13:36 PM
I really like the stone path. Is that regular grass growing between them? Did you just put the stones directly in the dirt or did you put sand or gravel under each one? Looks great!

...just regular grass. I hit it with a weedwhacker every other week. I set the flagstone in dirt, then scattered (heavily) grass seed. Oh, and I planted 200 crocus bulbs in there too...it looks fabulous this week.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Sevron

Wow... Your yard is fatastic Boris. I am curious about the bamboo. You have it planted in a shades area? or does it get partial sun?

....Sevron

rudemon

Ok. Another question for ya. I am going to level out low areas of the yard with  soil, than seed. Do I need to remove the grass that's there or do I just go right over it with the soil?
Thanks again.

Bonster

I watched a friend from work do exactly that with great success last summer.
First, he took a mulching rake, and churned the existing thatch and top layer of soil, but didn't remove it.  He pulled pretty much in one direction, creating striations in the thatch.

He then used a mixture of (I'll have to get the ratios) of top soil, sand, and seed in the low areas.  He lightly seeded over the top of that and it filled in wonderfully.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: Boris on April 10, 2008, 08:25:27 AM
Quote from: Vic0218 on April 09, 2008, 10:51:49 PM
Boris -

What a beautiful yard! Unfortunately you've given my husband illusions of grandeur.  :-\

Where did you get the paving stones in the front of the house? We want to do something similar in our side yard. Also, where do you buy your plants?

The stone:

Joseph Metz & Son
8136 Ogden Ave, Lyons, IL
(708) 447-6662

+1 for Metz from me as well.  I purchased my flagstone to outline my front landscape from there last year.

...hand picked all the stones I wanted.  Nice folks.

Bonster

Quote from: Boris on April 13, 2008, 08:06:26 PM
Oh, and I planted 200 crocus bulbs in there too...it looks fabulous this week.

Pretty cool, Boris.  Checked it out today walkin' the dog...sweet accent between the flagstones I love it!

I'd like to scatter something similar on the south side of my house where I'll be laying some sort of ground cover to hold the graded dirt in place.

Bear

"Checked it out today walkin' the dog...sweet accent between the flagstone!"

Ah...so that was you Bons, saw you walking quickly away from the Manor
after your hound left a BM for Boris on the flagstone. Quite a large accent for
such a little dog.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster