News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Window Boxes

Started by Bonster, April 22, 2008, 07:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~LL~

Quote from: tgoddess on May 01, 2008, 01:56:04 PM
The Growing Place (in Naperville) says the have these in stock:

Sweet Potato Vine
'Ace of Spades'

Sweet Potato Vine
'Blackie'

Sweet Potato Vine 'Marguerite'

Sweet Potato Vine
'Sweet Caroline Series'

Sweet Potato Vine
'Tricolor'
[/quote

Thanks so much!  Sounds like this place is worth the drive.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Bear

While out at lunch today, I stopped at Clover Farms. They are set up
in the Willowbrook Bowl parking lot at 83 and Plainfield. They had sweet potatoe
vine, I picked up Blackie @ 2.49 ea. They have the most fascinating variety I have
ever seen, if you are looking for something unusual, they will have it. Like Brian
said about the place in Naperville, bring a loaded wallet, expensive but well worth it.

If you go be sure to stop for breakfast or lunch at JR's Grill in the bowling alley, outstanding.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bear on May 02, 2008, 01:15:35 PM
While out at lunch today, I stopped at Clover Farms. They are set up
in the Willowbrook Bowl parking lot at 83 and Plainfield. They had sweet potatoe
vine, I picked up Blackie @ 2.49 ea. They have the most fascinating variety I have
ever seen, if you are looking for something unusual, they will have it. Like Brian
said about the place in Naperville, bring a loaded wallet, expensive but well worth it.

If you go be sure to stop for breakfast or lunch at JR's Grill in the bowling alley, outstanding.

Their prices aren't the problem with me...my problem is "oh, 3 of these, 2 of these, 2 more of this would be better" you get the idea.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

tgoddess

That's what happens to me whenever I go there.  They really do have a wonderful selection of plants and that are all very healthy-looking and beautiful.  The little gardens they set up are quite inspirational, as well. 
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

eno

Another great place is "Planter's Palette" in Winfield on Roosevelt Road; if you're into herbs, they have a great selection!
"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan

Felix Greco

Bons,  is that place in Broadview?

All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity. ---Robert Kennedy

Boris

Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Bonster

Quote from: eno on May 05, 2008, 12:19:37 PM
Another great place is "Planter's Palette" in Winfield on Roosevelt Road; if you're into herbs, they have a great selection!

Yes it is, eno!  It's easy to miss...if you hit Rte 59, you've passed it.

Platt Hill Nursery on Lake St. in Bloomingdale is excellent as well.

Quote from: Felix Greco on May 05, 2008, 01:01:10 PM
Bons,  is that place in Broadview?
Yeah...Roosevelt Rd, by Hildebrant's and Como's Pizza.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Boris

The BEST place I have found for a-goin' and a-pickin' out yer plants...be they herbs, for the boxes or perennials:

Prosek Greenhouses‎
28W140 High Lake Rd
Winfield, IL 60190
(630) 231-4992

Bonster

OK ... gotta post some pics of Boris' most beautiful pad.
Each year he's come up with a different design for his boxes, and this year's is no letdown.
Still has the vines spilling over to the ground, with a nicely layered mix on top.

(Click to Enlarge)
Full on view of the front...my favorite shot including
the broad side of the house...

The three boxes...                         (Click to Enlarge)

Close up of a single box.                 (Click to Enlarge)

Sorry, I'm no pro photog, just set everything on auto and click. 

PamF

How I would love to have him for a neighbor.  Gorgeous job.

Boris

Thanks, guys! Here's a few more:

click to enlarge

...the view from across the street showing the Dallas Blue switchgrass and Russian sage.

...here you can see how tall it is, about 7 feet.

...the view from the north (opposite of Bonster's fave   ;)  )

...backyard looking down the steps.

Joe-pye weed, helianthus and others.

gangway.

OakParkSpartan

Is that a Coreopsis next to the Joe Pye?  I saw a couple of those at the state fair last week and want to get some for the back yard.  Also want to get a Cup Plant...Silphium perfoliatum.  Nice and tall :-)

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: Boris on August 22, 2008, 07:08:40 PM

To further underscore what a great idea this was
I broke into his house to grab this pic:

Click to Enlarge

The privacy reaped from the voluptuous growth in just its second year is impressive. 
Yet, the property is not hidden and the tips are below window height -- the window boxes are not obscured from street view nor his own view looking out. 
Splendid as it is unique, it offers a bit of natural privacy unmatched in beauty that any fence, thick leafy shrub, or prairie grass variant could offer on a parkway.

Boris

Quote from: Bonster on August 22, 2008, 10:02:04 PM
Quote from: Boris on August 22, 2008, 07:08:40 PM

To further underscore what a great idea this was
I broke into his house to grab this pic:

Click to Enlarge

The privacy reaped from the voluptuous growth in just its second year is impressive. 
Yet, the property is not hidden and the tips are below window height -- the window boxes are not obscured from street view nor his own view looking out. 
Splendid as it is unique, it offers a bit of natural privacy unmatched in beauty that any fence, thick leafy shrub, or prairie grass variant could offer on a parkway.

...you should start a gardening blog, dude.

Bonster

Well, I must admit - what you've done trumps the plans I  had for your parkway...

Quote from: Bonster on May 16, 2007, 02:49:30 PM
I don't care for what you're doing on your parkway, by the way, Boris.  Scrap it. 
You are lucky to be in a postion where you can start from scratch, and should have put more thought into this...
I'm thinking something the vein of Horrorbles around the block, to compete with us for Halloween.
I've drawn up some plans for you here...

(click to enlarge)
...or if you'd like something a bit more elegant...

(click to enlarge)

Boris

y'know, if I didn't know you I'd be a little creeped out...

...but seeing as I DO know you, and  know that you went to high school with Mrs. B...I'm totally creeped out.

see ya tomorrow

Terri

Quote from: Boris on August 22, 2008, 10:31:43 PM

...but seeing as I DO know you, and  know that you went to high school with Mrs. B...I'm totally creeped out.

see ya tomorrow
Really he wants you to help him with his garden,  just doesn't want to come out and ask.  He's kinda' shy. 

Boris

Quote from: Terri on August 22, 2008, 11:11:25 PM

see ya tomorrow
Really he wants you to help him with his garden,  just doesn't want to come out and ask.  He's kinda' shy. 

bullshit. He wants to drink all my beer and dance with my wife*.

of course, so does everybody else.

Terri

Quote from: Boris on August 22, 2008, 11:13:24 PM
Quote from: Terri on August 22, 2008, 11:11:25 PM

see ya tomorrow

bullshit. He wants to drink all my beer and dance with my wife*.

of course, so does everybody else.
Maybe he will.   :D