News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Insect damage

Started by Bonster, July 15, 2008, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

or possible disease spreading?

I have (had) a gorgeous 20" Calla Lilly which just bloomed last week in front, similar to this:

(Click to Enlarge)

I came home yesterday to find it laying flat on the bark.  Initially I thought one of the kids in the neighborhood ran into it or something, but when I picked it up it just came right off the base with no resistance.  The flower was still in perfect bloom, but its stem was like a wet noodle, as if filled with an aloe-like gel.  One big leaf on the plant was dead & droopy as well, but all the others are perfect.

In checking my other plants & shrubs I noticed many have holes in the leaves, and my 36" lilly (can't remember the type) lost its flower bud before opening (as have a couple smaller ones).

A couple weeks ago friend commented on some brown parts of my evergreen (Dwarf Alberta spruce), said there was some kind of insect killing it, and that I needed to treat with Sevin dust or something like that.  Any similarities/ ideas?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tgoddess

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Boris

I have had great success with Spectracide:

http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/OutdoorInsecticide/BugStopMulti/

...in the hose-attached sprayer.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

dukesdad

Bonster

Great stuff, all.  Thanks.

I figured the browning on my spruces was just an issue with them, period.  I should have known something more serious when my 36" lilly lost it's bud just before it was about to pop.

This was taken on Friday, July 11th, and by Monday evening flower, stem, and one leaf had dropped.  I still have the flower and stem, but not sure if I'll have time to bring it anywhere to show.    Funny cuz I was going to post and ask what I should set on the camera to take a better pic of the flower itself (obviously not just a matter of flash/ no flash).

tgoddess

I bet if you offered Boris a tasty libation, he'd be willing to take a stellar photo of any of your garden beauties.   :)  His nature photography kix azz!!!!
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Bonster

Boris, I'm assuming you treat your window boxes as well, correct?

Quote from: tgoddess on July 15, 2008, 02:18:18 PM
I bet if you offered Boris a tasty libation, he'd be willing to take a stellar photo of any of your garden beauties.   :)  His nature photography kix azz!!!!
lol...I've thought about that...was hoping there'd be a good time when all was popping.

Boris

I bet if you offered Boris a tasty libation, he'd be willing to take a stellar photo of any of your garden beauties.   :)  His nature photography kix azz!!!!

heh...thanks!

Boris

Quote from: Bonster on July 15, 2008, 02:19:26 PM
Boris, I'm assuming you treat your window boxes as well, correct?
lol...I've thought about that...was hoping there'd be a good time when all was popping.

I only treat what needs it...I don't like spraying liberally because it kills the good bugs: pollinators and fireflies and such, along with the aphids and whiteflies. Plus I only spray when I see 'em. I've hit select plants in my garden 3 times this year, and have been bad-bug-free...in contrast, by this time last year, my trumpet honeysuckle was almost dead.

apatriot

No need for all the fuss.  Just take and dilute some dishwashing soap.  Spray on the leaves of the Day Lilly.  Bugs cannot handle soap.  They cannot breathe.  They die.  Works on ANY insect.