News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Daffodils

Started by Ana, April 10, 2009, 01:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ana

They are looking so pretty in other's front flower beds.  I want some.  Can I plant them now that they are blooming or about to bloom?
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bonster

Ours were planted the previous autumn (bulbs)...my neighbor's come up yearly.

Not sure if you can transplant bulbs...I guess if you can dig them out with roots & all?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tgoddess

From Gardenweb.com (a GREAT resource, btw)

"Theoretically, daffodils can be moved "in the green", as long as you take them out of the ground with a large soil mound around the roots, to avoid disturbing the roots. But, in practice, it's very tricky, and can result in killing the blooms for next year, or even the bulb itself, if you mistakenly damage the bulb. Plus, if you're moving them, you very well may want to divide them too, and that cannot be done in the green. Better to wait. You can move them after the foliage is yellow, but before it disappears, thus making it easier to find the bulbs, or, you can mark the spot of the bulbs now, and dig and transplant them in the early fall. I like early fall better because that's when you normally plant bulbs, which says to me that you are disturbing their growth cycle the least. And, there's so much to do in the spring, why not wait till fall? Good luck to you both."
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

buzz

You can move them, but it's hard work.
I've moved them in big clumps, within a few weeks after blooming.  They have a short rest period after the blooms die.
You cut a very big diameter around the clump and dig deep.  Lift the whole clump, dirt and all, trying not to disturb the roots.  Have their new home prepared fist.  Then, plop them in.  Gotta' water them, at this time of year you need good drainage or the bulbs will suffer.
It's a pain, much easier to plant in Fall.
I have a whole bunch of Allium I have to move this year and I'm not looking forward to it.  At least they bloom later, when the weather is warmer and the soil is easier to work. 
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

buzz

Tgoddess....thanks for that website.  I didn't have it on my list.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

eno

The Daffodils -William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling leaves in glee;
A poet could not be but gay,
In such a jocund company!
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan