News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Super-hard garden soil?!?

Started by Bungalocity, April 17, 2009, 01:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungalocity

I bought 2 dumptrucks full of Premium Composted garden mix last autumn, and after tilling bits here and there, I noticed after rain or watering,
the stuff gets so hard it almost can't be crumble by hand. It was very fluffy when I was shoveling it into my pit.
Are plants/veggies/flowers/herbs just so tough that they can take through this stuff or should I be mixing something else
into it or putting on top for a more graceful looking appearance??
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

buzz

That doesn't sound right.  I did get one mix that was just terrible.  I had to let it set for 3-5 days from delivery til use, and after a light rain it was just too hard to work.  I bought huge bags of perlite (they call it crum or krum) from Vaughn's in Western Springs.  It lightened up the soil but I've never bought from Tammerling's again.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bungalocity

I think it's good compost soil , I found an old "Hula-Hoe" in my garage that was left there that works
wonders on renewing the appearance of, shallow tilling, loosening fresh-weeds, or simply spreading out
high-points.  It looks like a wooden stick with a metal-handle on the end of it.  It's the simplest tool I have
and the most effective. Any garden center has a version of it!
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain