News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Help Identify This Tree

Started by Bonster, May 12, 2009, 12:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Can anyone here tell me what kind of tree this is on my parkway?

It normally drops it's "fruit" yearly- those hard berries that hurt when you step on them in bare feet.
This year it appears to be shedding lots of healthy looking leaves lately.  I'm concerned.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

watcher

Quote from: bonster on May 12, 2009, 12:47:44 PM
Can anyone here tell me what kind of tree this is on my parkway?

It normally drops it's "fruit" yearly- those hard berries that hurt when you step on them in bare feet.
This year it appears to be shedding lots of healthy looking leaves lately.  I'm concerned.

It's an ash. As such, the immediate suspect would be ash borer beetles. Die back is a common symptom.

http://www.stopthebeetle.info/
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

littlealexa

Could it be a gingko (sp?) tree.  I recall one year my doggie stepped on those things that the tree drops and cut her feet, yes those things hurt the feet.  In the summertime, there's a man that works in a chinese restaurant that picks them up (not sure what they are used for, tea perhaps).

JSlaught

It is an ILLCHOPUDWN Tree.

Keep droppin shit on my sidewalk and I'll.....

treeguy

Male white ash tree.

Look for exit holes and sawdust from larvae exiting the tree.

Vic0218

The ash borer beetles have horribly damaged a beautiful, huge tree on my property. It's too late to save the tree.

Please get an arborist out to inspect it....the damage can be reversed and the tree saved if they catch it early enough.
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened" - Cora Harvey Armstrong

Boris

It is indeed a White Ash, but the "fruit" you mention are actually last-years flower clusters which have been deformed due to Ash flower gall—caused by the eriophyid mite, Eriophyes fraxiniflora.

As far as I know it doesn't harm the tree, except in that the tree does not, if fact, bear fruit.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Bungalocity

Wow I was wondering what this thing is in my front lawn. Maybe we can go into the baseball bat business...
I got a blower for well under $100. I blow them into the street the night before sweeping day...
It's always the snow storms that take most of them down though!
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain