My Green Thumb wants to recycle my old computer equipment...donde?

Started by Bungalocity, October 29, 2009, 11:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungalocity

I have an old monitor and 2 huge printers that have gone past their years.  Anyone know where I can
drop these off to an e-junkyard??
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

Classof67

Try Googling Computer and Electronic Recycling - Cook County

There are several choices. 

LOL

Call Best Buy, too--they will take and recycle (or fix and donate) lots of electronic crap.
The word gullible isn't in the dictionary?

Bonster

I tried this route and was disappointed a few years ago when I was getting rid of about 6 computers and 7 monitors.

Chicago has some recycling centers, but you have to be a resident.  Many places I found served at the corporate level only, no walk ups.  Some places you had to pay for recycling by the pound.  Still yet other avenues such as schools, required they be 5 years or less in age.  Occasionally there will be electronic recycling "drives" held in places for a few days, or on certain days of the month.

The problem with electronic recycling is the complexity - various incompatible plastics which can't just be "melted down" together, circuit boards require melting solder, removing chips and other tiny parts, the metal cases with various paints, power supplies and their many parts.

Another problem with electronics recycling is whether or not everything's kept in the US and recycled, or sent to 3rd world countries by the pallet, left for the poor to melt parts in dangerous conditions trying to make a buck.  I've seen some eye-opening pics, vids, and stories about this; will have to find some more later.

I ended up putting the stuff out behind the garage.  The cords from the monitors were cut in about 20 minutes, and the next day I found the backs cracked open so the coils and other copper parts could be taken.  In a sense, there was some recycling done there.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

PamF

This one was on 60 minutes a while back.  It was quite eye opening

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/19/60minutes/main4579229.shtml

I recall Triton College having a recycling drive a while back.

buzz

Now this would be a worthwhile undertaking for our City Council to consider.  Set a date. Drop them off at Cermak Plaza.  Partner with Waste Management.  Maybe even coordinate the effort with OP and other surrounding burbs.
Nah, couldn't happen.  Besides, all you have to do is put them out in the alley.  Waste Management takes them.

But where do they take them ?
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

n01_important

Quote from: buzz on October 30, 2009, 09:38:14 PM
Now this would be a worthwhile undertaking for our City Council to consider.  Set a date. Drop them off at Cermak Plaza.  Partner with Waste Management.  Maybe even coordinate the effort with OP and other surrounding burbs.
Nah, couldn't happen.  Besides, all you have to do is put them out in the alley.  Waste Management takes them.

But where do they take them ?

There are such efforts but I don't know who organizes them.  It usually happens once a year... two years ago North Riverside organized the event.  Otherwise,  you need to make a special trip (I took one to Naperville) to drop off hazardous fluids.

You are right, there is no reason why our community can't organize 1-2 local events a year.  I wouldn't mind storing a computer screen in the garage to recycle at a specified date/time.
Stupid fuck