News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Hens legal in town?

Started by Bungalocity, August 03, 2010, 07:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungalocity

Where else could I post this other than the Green Thumb.

I had a taste of farm fresh eggs and thought how charming it'd be to have a few egg hens in the back yard if I built a coop....
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

Bonster

There was previous chatter about this before:
http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=3718.0

Apparently it's not legal per 'Rita (she'd know).

Quote from: tgoddess on June 20, 2007, 08:19:23 AM
Only in Funkytown, folks!

http://www.berwynpoliceblotter.com/index.php/site/rooster_attacks_passing_man/#When:03:25:00Z

Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Rooster attack
June 17, 2007, 5:56 PM
A 41-year-old man from the 3500 block of Ridgeland told police he was attacked by a rooster while walking through the alley of the 1900 block of Wenonah/Wisconsin.  The man subdued the bird to show police. Officers saw the rooster was not hurt, but the bird appeared to have been used for cockfights at one time

Quote from: cozynite on June 20, 2007, 09:56:54 AM
Quote from: tgoddess on June 20, 2007, 09:40:24 AM
I'm curious about where this rooster came from?  Is it someone's pet?  Did it escape from somewhere else--which, of course, begs the question, "Why did the chicken cross the road?"  Do roosters require tags like my dog does?

My inquiring mind would love to know.

I do know that we actually DO have laws on the books about keeping things like elephants and bears* Berwyn.  But I don't recall seeing anything about the keeping/raising of farm animals.

*616.01     DEFINITIONS.

(1958 Code Sec. 5-1.)

(b)     "Dangerous animal" means an animal which, by reason of its species, is by nature ferocious or has a dangerous propensity, such as, but not limited to, lions, tigers, bears, elephants and wolves..."

Damn, I was thinking of buying an elephant for my parents.

Quote from: 'Rita/aka Berwyn Scumbag Broad on June 20, 2007, 10:30:08 AM
keeping or housing live game/poultry is not allowed in b-town...i saw a rooster (dead) @ the corner of 16th and wesley...and that wasn't the first time either...sum1 over by there is also hosting cock fights
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bungalocity

Well the reason I ask is because Evanston has a pretty damn good ordinance they're voting on.
No cocks, 2-6 hens, and permission from adjacent neighbors as well as keeping the coops clean.

I'd just love to have some eggs every morning!

side note: i only did a chicken search, not hens...
-Mark Twain

Peg Proksa

I seriously looked into doing this a few months back. It is very complex,
do a google. I have good freinds who are farmers in Will County who keep me stocked.
Once you eat a real egg you will be amazed (not the stuff in Whole Foods/TJ and stores like that, bleh.)
A freshly slain chicken is amazing as well.

billyjean

Quote from: Peg Proksa on August 03, 2010, 07:45:53 PM
do a google. I have good freinds who are farmers in Will County who keep me stocked.
Once you eat a real egg you will be amazed (not the stuff in Whole Foods/TJ and stores like that, bleh.)

Hopefully it has a few years to pack some meat on.

Bungalocity

I couldn't kill a bird that has provided so many eggs for breakfast....
-Mark Twain

buzz

Quote from: Peg Proksa on August 03, 2010, 07:45:53 PM
My Sister in Indiana shops the Amish markets.
Eggs are fresh.  Chicken is fresh.  Nothin' better.
I would never want to raise chickens.  You can't just throw seed out, like you do for the songbirds.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

chandasz

I have some friends who do urban chicken farming and love it. You can have them in Chicago.... maybe Oak park too

tgoddess

This is the actual wording of the ordinance:

§ 616.08  OFFENSIVE KEEPING OF ANIMALS.

No person shall own, keep or use any railroad car, yard, pen, place or premises in or upon which fowl, cattle or other animals are confined or kept, so as to be offensive to those residing in the vicinity or an annoyance to others.

(Ord. 07-55, passed 10-23-2007)

So it seems the OPERATIVE words here are "offensive," and "annoying" which could end you up in all kinds of trouble with your neighbors based on how obviously subjective it is.  I think if I were going to do this (and this isn't limited to chickens--what about pigs and goats for bacon and milk?), I believe the best tactic would be to get something signed by all your immediate neighbors saying they're okay with your keeping/raising said animal(s).

Frankly, the biggest pain in the ass in Berwyn with this (IMO) is getting a permit and inspection for your coop/henhouse.

Good luck!  And if you do it, I'd be willing to do some bartering of homemade preserves and pickles for eggs.  :-)
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

tgoddess

Note to Bungalowcity...chickens are FAR from "charming" and can be downright nasty birds (my mom had them growing up).  Just read up so you know EXACTLY what you're getting into.

And just an added note if you're thinking of making your own bacon...

§ 616.09  SLAUGHTERING.

No person shall slaughter or kill cattle, hogs or sheep or keep, maintain or use any house or place in which the business of slaughtering any animal is carried on.

(Ord. 07-55, passed 10-23-2007)

So if you're gonna keep pigs in Berwyn, you'll have to take it to your butcher to have it prepped.

And FWIW, you ARE allowed to keep chickens (hens, not roosters) in Oak Park, but are limited to only 2.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

OakParkSpartan

That last ordinance about slaughtering seems to be directed at running a business.

Also, for chicken coops/pens, there are mobile ones that would not need inspecting (think a wood/metal frame covered with chickenwire).

I've helped raise a pig...no way do you want one of those in your back yard (they're very intelligent, but the pen can be quite stinky).  And Margo would never forgive you if she had to chase a pig.  They are surprisingly fast and agile!

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

tgoddess

The biggest thing with coops is that they need a mechanism in place to keep them heated given our winters.

OakParkSpartan

Poke a hole in your garage wall and you could rig something up.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bungalocity

This is all great!  Even if it's a fleeting whim of mine I'll nvr carry thru with it's been a learning experience for all.

I like the hole in the garage idea. I never like that steel security door anyway.
I assume they don't eat vine veggies or peppers, some field corn and other grains
would be fine. And they run back to their shelter at dusk instinctively!
-Mark Twain

OakParkSpartan

Check out Mother Earth News...they have lots of info on stuff like raising your own chickens.

Peg Proksa

Check out The Feed Store on Harlem just north of Archer.
The brothers are experts, and they sell chicks, hens, etc.
Berwyn residents as well.

Bungalocity

The sell Berwyn residents too??   :o
-Mark Twain

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

NYWREB

Quote from: buzz on August 03, 2010, 10:58:07 PM
My Sister in Indiana shops the Amish markets.
Eggs are fresh.  Chicken is fresh.  Nothin' better.
I would never want to raise chickens.  You can't just throw seed out, like you do for the songbirds.

There's an amish market in Hodgkins or LaGrange.  COrner of LaGrange and Joliet Roads - Across LaGrange from WhiteCastle...

buzz

Quote from: Peg Proksa on August 04, 2010, 11:17:38 AM
Check out The Feed Store on Harlem just north of Archer.
The brothers are experts, and they sell chicks, hens, etc.
Experts at bad husbandry !
  While you're there check out the stinky unheated back room and those cages that get cleaned maybe every 2 years.  Covered with shit !  Last time I was there a large percentage of the birds were stressed and ripping their feathers out.  Not moulting, stressed.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?