News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Transferring Old Vinyl

Started by buzz, December 08, 2008, 10:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Since May 2007 I've been watching the price of the Vio... that turntable that transfers 33's and 78's to CD format.  Price has dropped to $109.  Anyone used it ?  Other alternatives or advice/suggestions would be appreciated because I sure as hell don't have a clue.  What I do have is a shitload of old vinyl that I'd like to make more accessible.  I'd like to edit out the tracks I don't like and record the ones I do.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

watcher

Quote from: buzz on December 08, 2008, 10:43:49 PM
Since May 2007 I've been watching the price of the Vio... that turntable that transfers 33's and 78's to CD format.  Price has dropped to $109.  Anyone used it ?  Other alternatives or advice/suggestions would be appreciated because I sure as hell don't have a clue.  What I do have is a shitload of old vinyl that I'd like to make more accessible.  I'd like to edit out the tracks I don't like and record the ones I do.

Nobody has brought out a "Showtime Oven" version of vinyl transfer; There's no set it and forget it. There are more than a few that have tried.
Splitting tracks can be hit or miss on most of the software.

USB turntables in general bypass your computer's soundcard and do their thing with  conversion software.

But if you are willing to manually lay down tracks, any number of products are adequate to the task.

I've had success with MMJB, Audacity and Freecorder. Music Match Juke Box did the job but was an intrusive, pervasive and controlling chunk of software.
Freecorder will record any sounds put through your soundcard. Getting the start/stop is a bit kludgy, but do-able. Audacity is better at splitting/editing existing MP3 files...

If you already have a playback system with aux output/inputs for your vinyl, you can probably accomplish the transfer to digital by connecting that system to your computer's sound card.
You'll only  need a Y adapter with two RCA plugs on one end and a stereo phone plug on the other.  Two Y-adapters allow you to record and playback through your stereo.
The recording cord would plug into the Aux OUT of your stereo and the LINE IN or MIC jack of your computer. The playback side; AUX IN to the Headphone/speaker jack.

If you've scrapped your stereo system or it lacks the proper in/out jacks,  DAK has a package they say will do it all.
http://www.dak.com/reviews/2020story.cfm?Ref=G&PM=LPCD&type=GSrch&Srh=turntable&gclid=CL6p1dHHs5cCFQhJagod8xu_jg

This site has tutorials and even video tutorials covering the basics of home recording/transfer of vinyl to digital.
You'll have to read past the plugs for DAK's software, but it's one of the better explanations of the ins and outs of the process.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Bonster

Fantastic link, watcher.  That pretty much sums it all up.

I've always done mine with a regular turntable & receiver, recorded with good old Goldwave using the LAME codecs for MP3 conversion.

Folks I know have noticed inherent problems with volume levels and sound quality issues with the USB systems.  And with those systems, you're still dealing with the software end of it to some degree.

I would sooner pay the $69.90 for that DAK system if you already have a turntable, or pay $219 for the system including the turntable.  You'll be getting the true sound from the vinyl to your soundcard, not some manufacturer's dictation of your audio.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Robert Pauly

I'm looking for a nice, used turntable to PLAY my vinyl.

Hogzilla

I have a Technics 1200 MK 2 I picked up from Guitar Center years ago. It's a tank. Weighs about 25 pounds and really is about the best turntable out there. It's for DJ use so it doesn't skip unless the record is trashed or a bomb goes off right next to it. You can find them used for around $200.

Here's one on CL http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/944240008.html

Definitely go for a quality turntable and use software to grab the audio. Roxio Toast works great and there is a PC version I can't remember the name though. Have used that many times to archive old 12"s that are impossible to find. It will save out an AIF file and you can break it into MP3. All you need to connect is a RCA to 1/8" adapter (about $4 at Radio Shack) and plug it into the mic plug on your computer.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

watcher

Quote from: Hogzilla on December 09, 2008, 10:04:26 AM
I have a Technics 1200 MK 2 I picked up from Guitar Center years ago. It's a tank. Weighs about 25 pounds and really is about the best turntable out there. It's for DJ use so it doesn't skip unless the record is trashed or a bomb goes off right next to it. You can find them used for around $200.

Definitely go for a quality turntable and use software to grab the audio. Roxio Toast works great and there is a PC version I can't remember the name though. Have used that many times to archive old 12"s that are impossible to find. It will save out an AIF file and you can break it into MP3. All you need to connect is a RCA to 1/8" adapter (about $4 at Radio Shack) and plug it into the mic plug on your computer.

I should mention, if you are not overly concerned with attaining pure digital sound, there are kludges. Any stereo/turntable with a headphone jack can serve to play your records. For this method you'll need a properly sized headphone to LINE IN cord. You'll have to "mix" using the stereo's controls for treble/bass/mid/balance...

If the headphone jack is the older 1/4" behemoth, you can get a 1/4" to 1/8" cord OR you can get a 1/8 to 1/8 and use an adapter. The latter allows you to use the cord for other purposes (connecting Ipod to speakers etc.)

Not sure if I've mentioned "Wolfgangs Vault" here. It's a vast archive of live concerts by almost everyone who's anyone in ROCK,  Jazz, Blues...
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/ you can stream them live or download many (with royalties paid where applicable). Most dls are around $10.

If you're the piratey type, you can snag freecorder or similar program and make recordings of the live stream. The benefit of the downloaded option is the songs are pre-split. The stream-player does have a song list, so you can start/stop recording in freecorder (or use another MP3 splitting program)

There are also many on-line streaming sites that let you build a playlist. Using freecorder you can capture that stream. http://www.applian.com/sound-recorder/

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that the options are only limited by your resourcefulness and conscience.

Should we explore torrents and bitware?

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Bonster

Quote from: watcher on December 09, 2008, 10:33:50 AM
Any stereo/turntable with a headphone jack can serve to play your records. For this method you'll need a properly sized headphone to LINE IN cord. You'll have to "mix" using the stereo's controls for treble/bass/mid/balance...

and Volume.  The headphone out is amplified and shaped, whereas AUX and other forms of Line Outs are preset, lower voltage/currents. 

In the past, attenuating cords were recommended for the connection, but modern designs have helped fend off the consumer level ignorance with higher impedance inputs, etc.

watcher

Quote from: a delicate flower on December 09, 2008, 10:54:10 AM
Quote from: watcher on December 09, 2008, 10:33:50 AM
Any stereo/turntable with a headphone jack can serve to play your records. For this method you'll need a properly sized headphone to LINE IN cord. You'll have to "mix" using the stereo's controls for treble/bass/mid/balance...

and Volume.  The headphone out is amplified and shaped, whereas AUX and other forms of Line Outs are preset, lower voltage/currents. 

In the past, attenuating cords were recommended for the connection, but modern designs have helped fend off the consumer level ignorance with higher impedance inputs, etc.

An imposing tag-team eh?

Bonster

Wolfgang's Vault...I wonder if that's the place I used to visit to "obtain" cool concert bootlegs and such? 
I'll have to check it out after work...I forgot about that entirely if that's what it was. 
If so, that's some serious fun!!!
Thanks!

Hogzilla

Check out purelivegigs.com. GREAT torrent site for shows. I have obtained some wonderful concerts in NTSC and PAL format burnable to DVD. For PAL you have to have an all region DVD player. Check out OPPO Digital for that. The best DVD player bar none IMHO.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

watcher

Quote from: a delicate flower on December 09, 2008, 11:18:06 AM
Wolfgang's Vault...I wonder if that's the place I used to visit to "obtain" cool concert bootlegs and such? 
I'll have to check it out after work...I forgot about that entirely if that's what it was. 
If so, that's some serious fun!!!
Thanks!

The Vault's genesis is one of those bizarre stories. Guy bought a warehouse that was once owned by Bill Graham. Left behind was archival worthy rooms full of stuff
from the Fillmore and other Graham venues. Tapes, posters, t-shirts, tickets A-Z, soup to nuts. The vault was conceived. What a goldmine. They've done an amazing job of making it commercially viable while still providing a portal for everyone to access the treasures. Royalties are paid to artists. Just a gem.

Robert Pauly

Hogs - is this turntable designed for normal play - is it delicate enough for repeated play of old vinyl?  Is it a better choice than trying to find a vintage table?  Thanks.

scungili

Hi Robert ... Technics 1200's are great durable machines.  They are direct drive with a heavy platter & a body that absorbs vibrations so you don't get feedback or other interference.  But you also have to consider the stylus you're using, I've got mid-range stantons that are geared to reproducing strong mids, good hi's & doesn't accentuate the low end.  There's so many different cartridge/stylus combinations and price ranges that you might want to check out a site like http://www.needledoctor.com/.

Hogzilla

Quote from: Robert Pauly on December 09, 2008, 12:08:49 PM

Hogs - is this turntable designed for normal play - is it delicate enough for repeated play of old vinyl?  Is it a better choice than trying to find a vintage table?  Thanks.

It is great for normal play. It won't do 78 rpm, but does 33 and 45. There is also pitch adjustment. You also have tracking adjustment on the tone arm. It's very capable as an audiophile quality turntable. That's all I use mine for, regular play of old vinyl. I've had mine for about 13 years and it works like new.

You would just need to get a good quality stylus to go with it. I am not up on what is good now but I think Ortofon and Audio-Technica makes a good one. There are other good turntables out there. I would recommend, for durability, to get a direct drive model, not a belt drive. I had a belt drive Technics and they wear out pretty quick and lose speed.

Hogzilla

Quote from: scungili on December 09, 2008, 12:30:00 PM
Hi Robert ... Technics 1200's are great durable machines.  They are direct drive with a heavy platter & a body that absorbs vibrations so you don't get feedback or other interference.  But you also have to consider the stylus you're using, I've got mid-range stantons that are geared to reproducing strong mids, good hi's & doesn't accentuate the low end.  There's so many different cartridge/stylus combinations and price ranges that you might want to check out a site like http://www.needledoctor.com/.

Great site! I knew there was another stylus name I couldn't recall. That was it. In fact, I think that is the brand I have.

Bonster

Quote from: Hogzilla on December 09, 2008, 12:39:45 PM
I would recommend, for durability, to get a direct drive model, not a belt drive. I had a belt drive Technics and they wear out pretty quick and lose speed.

...nothing more annoying to a well tuned ear than a failing belt drive!   >:( ::)

(well...inconsistencies amongst cheap cassette drives back when...)

Hogzilla

Quote from: a delicate flower on December 09, 2008, 01:01:10 PM
Quote from: Hogzilla on December 09, 2008, 12:39:45 PM
I would recommend, for durability, to get a direct drive model, not a belt drive. I had a belt drive Technics and they wear out pretty quick and lose speed.

...nothing more annoying to a well tuned ear than a failing belt drive!   >:( ::)

(well...inconsistencies amongst cheap cassette drives back when...)

It's painful. Trying to listen to Pat Metheny at somewhere between 28-32 rpm will make you want to rip your eardrums out and never listen to a record again. :-\

Robert Pauly

Quote from: Hogzilla on December 09, 2008, 01:15:51 PM

It's painful. Trying to listen to Pat Metheny at somewhere between 28-32 rpm will make you want to rip your eardrums out and never listen to a record again. :-\

At any speed!

Hey all, thanks for the table recommendation.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

The husband recently mentioned converting our vinyl.  I told him to forget about it and after reading this thread am glad I did.  Those old album covers are priceless and I love looking at them when I pull something out to play.  I have two original Meet the Beatles albums which don't sound very good but bring back some great memories along with so many others.  So I guess I'll  just have to sacrifice the sound quality which is fine with me.  The songs I really love and want to listen to I can download onto a MP3 player.  For those days I just want to go back in time I'll put on the vinyl.

Bonster

No one's talking about getting rid of the vinyl, MRS. N.  Just making their contents more easily accessible considering many of us have rare vinyl - versions unavailable for download.  :)