Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Transferring Old Vinyl

Started by buzz, December 08, 2008, 10:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix Greco

Quote from: Robert Pauly on December 09, 2008, 09:51:19 AM
I'm looking for a nice, used turntable to PLAY my vinyl.

So glad I never got rid of mine.  Works great still.
All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity. ---Robert Kennedy

Hogzilla

Vinyl is great, people are always getting rid of it and everytime I go to a garage sale it's like a treasure hunt. The only problem, where to put all of it. It's flippin heavy!
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

eno

Quote from: Hogzilla on December 10, 2008, 03:50:31 PM
Vinyl is great, people are always getting rid of it and everytime I go to a garage sale it's like a treasure hunt. The only problem, where to put all of it. It's flippin heavy!

"Old School Records" in Forest Park (7446 W. Madison) has a decent collection of vinyl for sale, and it's close by. I play mine on an old DUAL turntable, which is part of an old (1961) Saba tube radio console; love those tubes!
"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan

Bonster

Has anyone been to Val's halla Records since it moved?

They were at Oak Park and the tracks (green line) for eternity, force to move due to condo conversion to 239 Harrison.

http://www.valshalla.com/
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Robert Pauly

Quote from: Hogzilla on December 10, 2008, 03:50:31 PM

A buddy of mine built an analog recording studio in his home - because of the amount of gear and space involved, he decided to dump his vinyl collection, which he gave to me.  It's sitting in my attic - because it weighs so much and because I don't have a turntable, I've never really gone through it, but I'm pretty sure it's good stuff from the 60's and 70's.  I might tackle this project over the holidays.

Felix Greco

Robert, if you are looking to part with any of your vinyl let me know.  I am looking to buy.
All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity. ---Robert Kennedy

Bonster

Two things I miss most about vinyl -

True A and B sides...
The size- while they're heavy, they afforded GREAT photos, sleeves, and inserts such as books, calendars, etc.

My dad had the promo copy of Creedence Gold, which had die-cut silhouettes of the band members' faces on the cover,
each of which would fold over showing a picture of the member inside (later released without).

Felix Greco

Try looking at that while doing LSD or 'shrooms!   ;D

Bonster

Quote from: Felix Greco on December 11, 2008, 09:08:35 AM
Try looking at that while doing LSD or 'shrooms!   ;D

He also had

That's a tough one even when perfectly straight.

Felix Greco

:o  Holy Bad Moon Rising Batman!

watcher

Quote from: a delicate flower on December 11, 2008, 07:56:17 AM

They were at Oak Park and the tracks (green line) for eternity, force to move due to condo conversion to 239 Harrison.

I've been to the new place. Val herself is still a national treasure and the trip is well worth it.
It's nice to see people handling the albums, smiling when they come across a great memory or two.
I don't collect vinyl anymore.  Had to quit, cold turkey. The list of stuff I "needed" for the collection grew out of control.

It's fitting that the new Val's is in the Arts District. Cover Art should have a special place in art history.

Stop in and say hi. She's not as busy as she used to be, which allows her to have actual conversations. Her knowledge of local groups
and venues is unparalleled. Her ability to find obscure vinyl is intact and she's still connected to all the best sources.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Felix Greco

Val has been amazing for many years.  I remember her German Shepherd that was always by her side in the store.  She actually got me started on my collection.

Now there would be an interesting place to go into the Depot District.

Robert Pauly

Quote from: Felix Greco on December 11, 2008, 09:03:08 AM
Robert, if you are looking to part with any of your vinyl let me know.  I am looking to buy.

If you would have come to the block party, I would have given them to you!

Felix Greco

Hey my birthday just passed and Christmas is only 14 days away!    :)

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: a delicate flower on December 11, 2008, 07:56:17 AM

I have.

The Elvis shrine isn't quite the same, but still a very cool place.  It is nice to support local merchants like Val.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Hogzilla

Not of the classic rock genre, but if anyone comes across the original 12" of New Order's Blue Monday I am very interested. The packaging was so expensive to produce that the band and record company lost money on each sale. They eventually changed the packaging to a traditional sleeve. It was, and I believe still is, the biggest selling single of all time. I have been looking for this for along time.

"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

scungili

On the topic of sleeves & packaging ... remember all the goodies you could get?  Like posters, stickers & panties!

School's Out by Alice Cooper

And I flipped out when I heard that you could apply water to the inner sleeve of Zeppelin's "In Through the Outdoor" and colors would appear ... kind of like a reverse water color thing.

watcher

Quote from: Felix Greco on December 11, 2008, 09:36:44 AM
Val has been amazing for many years.  I remember her German Shepherd that was always by her side in the store.  She actually got me started on my collection.

Now there would be an interesting place to go into the Depot District.

Loki was pretty cool too.

She actually considered Berwyn at one point. Not DD, but the rumor was that Fitz's offered her some space.

A former Val's devotee who lived in Glen Ellyn was said to have offered her a space that he would build so it would be an exact
duplicate of the OP store.

How many years has it been now? And still NOTHING has been done with the old spot.

Same developer as the Bank project?
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

watcher

Hogzilla

Quote from: watcher on December 11, 2008, 01:15:59 PM
Still one of the best evah!

You will appreciate this story then... About 4 years ago I sold an older Apple G3 computer. I got an email through craigslist and the name on the email was Pat Mastelotto. I thought, no friggin way. Later that day the drummer for King Crimson was at my door. Quite odd. VERY nice guy. Still email once in a while.