News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Transferring Old Vinyl

Started by buzz, December 08, 2008, 10:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eno

Quote from: a delicate flower on December 11, 2008, 09:07:45 AM
Two things I miss most about vinyl -

True A and B sides...
The size- while they're heavy, they afforded GREAT photos, sleeves, and inserts such as books, calendars, etc.

My dad had the promo copy of Creedence Gold, which had die-cut silhouettes of the band members' faces on the cover,
each of which would fold over showing a picture of the member inside (later released without).

I miss the size, too; CD's are almost impossible to find/differentiate when you're looking for one, whereas albums could be quickly ID'd by the color. Speaking of Album covers, when the Stones' "Sticky Fingers" Album came out, my mom got it for me for Christmas, minus the album cover!!! The record store recommended it, but my mom thought the cover (pants and zipper) was vulgar and told them to gift wrap the sleeve and record, but keep the cover. Anyone got a spare "Sticky Fingers" cover they're willing to part with?   

"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan

watcher

Quote from: Hogzilla on December 11, 2008, 01:46:07 PM
You will appreciate this story then... About 4 years ago I sold an older Apple G3 computer. I got an email through craigslist and the name on the email was Pat Mastelotto. I thought, no friggin way. Later that day the drummer for King Crimson was at my door. Quite odd. VERY nice guy. Still email once in a while.

He does ad/graphics work I think. Weird how Chicago attracts minor celebs. Is Dave Mason still haunting the west burbs?
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Hogzilla

Quote from: watcher on December 11, 2008, 06:01:23 PM
Quote from: Hogzilla on December 11, 2008, 01:46:07 PM
You will appreciate this story then... About 4 years ago I sold an older Apple G3 computer. I got an email through craigslist and the name on the email was Pat Mastelotto. I thought, no friggin way. Later that day the drummer for King Crimson was at my door. Quite odd. VERY nice guy. Still email once in a while.

He does ad/graphics work I think. Weird how Chicago attracts minor celebs. Is Dave Mason still haunting the west burbs?

Actually, Pat lives outside Austin, where we used to live. He plays drums for Crimson now, I think he's been with them since the early 90s and used to play drums for Mr Mister in the 80s.

You are right how the area attracts minor celebs though.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Bear

What did you hear about Mason Watcher?...He lived with Peterick for a few months.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

watcher

Quote from: Bear on December 11, 2008, 10:53:07 PM
What did you hear about Mason Watcher?...He lived with Peterick for a few months.

He was spotted in Geneva. Bitchin' about the cold. Asking for a ride to the airport.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

scungili

Doh!  I forgot about a local guy who sells all kinds of vintage audio stuff.  I met him at a flea market type thing in Riverside.

Check out www.upscale.net

This was a few years ago, so I'm not sure how updated the site is but he's got all kinds of equipment & vinyl listed for sale.

tgoddess

This site is a veritable GOLDMINE of amazingly awful album covers.  Graphic artists, designers and anyone with good taste, proceed at your own risk.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/weirdest-album-covers
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Bonster

holy crap, one my my bands' covers is on there

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

scungili

Ohh good lord!  #73 is disturbing ... especially if you've seen Cruisin' w/ Al Pacino

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Bear on December 11, 2008, 10:53:07 PM
Jim Peterik of the Ides of March?  He performed the national anthem at the Nazareth homecoming this fall and performed with the band (my daughter plays trumpet) at the halftime show.  It was very cool that he doesn't think he's above doing that kind of stuff.  His wife is a Naz alumni.  Now if only Morton could tap him as an alumni.

tgoddess

Quote from: scungili on December 12, 2008, 09:12:25 AM
Ohh good lord!  #73 is disturbing ... especially if you've seen Cruisin' w/ Al Pacino

I thought that hairy arm looked familiar.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

scungili

Quoteholy crap, one my my bands' covers is on there

so was that the title track or the power ballad on this album?

Bonster

Bonster

Hogzilla

"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Bonster

If any of you in BTF-Land are wondering what tgoddess looks like,
she put out an album of 50s Christmas classics a few years back:

(sans glasses)

tgoddess

That ribbon is held on with Bondo and superglue.

Hogzilla

This is how she looked after the ribbon was taken off.

scungili

hee hee ... I've got a recording of that Kay Martin record ... it's wonderful!

Bonster

Quote from: tgoddess on December 12, 2008, 09:55:44 AM
That ribbon is held on with Bondo and superglue.

What, did they airbrush scungili out?  ;D

@ Hogz - hilarious!