News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Why So Many Enclosed Porches in Berwyn?

Started by Z Man, May 20, 2007, 10:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrs. scoon

Quote from: Kit on May 22, 2007, 11:15:20 AM
No outside access to the basement, no, but we do have a second bathroom down there (we'd better, to complement the bar!). 

I think the basement is going to take a lot of work.  It has so much potential, but it's so dungeon-y right now.  There are practically no windows, and I'm a sunlight freak!  We want to replace the asbestos tile anyways, and if we put in lighter flooring and perhaps swap out the paneling for something less dark, that'll help.

Very cool basement!  Hey once you get settled, you should have a Barstocking Party - that's what we did instead of a housewarming.  We had our new neighbors and friends over.
You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Bonster

No outside access to the basement, no, but we do have a second bathroom down there (we'd better, to complement the bar!). 

I think the basement is going to take a lot of work.  It has so much potential, but it's so dungeon-y right now.  There are practically no windows, and I'm a sunlight freak!  We want to replace the asbestos tile anyways, and if we put in lighter flooring and perhaps swap out the paneling for something less dark, that'll help.

Wooooooooooo!  I'm diggn' the bar stools and the "corner bar" ... I could see havin' a real  good time there.

Party at Kit's!~
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tgoddess

I was going to mention those bar stools--love 'em!
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

scoon

Kit,

We have wall sconces in addition to the recessed lights in the ceiling that really give off nice light.  It can be a little dark depending on how many lights are on, but with all the lights on and the two TVs (soon to be three) going, the lighting is just right.  I think a few lights behind your bar and strategically placed elsewhere would do wonders.  We actually know a guy who designs lighting and did the scheme for OoT.  He'd probably give you his opinion over a glass of grey goose.

And despite was Mrs. Scoon says, the shop sink can double as a urinal in a pinch.

It's all pipes!

George Costanza

mrs. scoon

Quote from: scoon on May 22, 2007, 12:15:55 PM

Kit,

And despite was Mrs. Scoon says, the shop sink can double as a urinal in a pinch.

It's all pipes!

George Costanza

Is not!
You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Bonster

If you have a triple sink ('Rita) it's like a trough.

PamF

Without replacing the paneling try some paint.  We did that in a room and it's amazing how bright it is now.  You may have to rough up and prime the paneling first, but if you're thinking of pulling it out anyways, it's worth a shot.  Only cost is time and paint.

Sweet bar!!!

Kit

Quote from: mrs. scoon
Hey once you get settled, you should have a Barstocking Party - that's what we did instead of a housewarming.  We had our new neighbors and friends over.

BRILLIANT.

Quote from: Bonster
Party at Kit's!

As soon as we're a bit settled, you bet your ass!  Gotta break that place in!

Quote from: TGoddess
I was going to mention those bar stools--love 'em!

They come with the house, too!  In person the color is horrendous, but I have plans for them. 

Quote from: Scoon

HA! ....you're not allowed near the sink behind the bar.  ;)

Quote from: PamF
Without replacing the paneling try some paint.

I think you may be on to something there...I bet it could actually look very nice once painted.  I'm a bit gunshy about painting over anything that even resembles wood, after helping a friend strip about 10 coats off her original trim, but...it's just paneling!

The internet is to philosophy as bumper stickers are to politics.

Z Man

Someone must have thought that the fireplace in my house was "old fashioned" as well because someone had removed the mantel and plastered over the opening.  I can hear a hollow thud as I tap the wall. 

I'm in the process of stripping layers of white, beige and park bench green (first layer of paint) off my newell posts and railings of my stairs.  Can you believe someone would have painted beautiful oak railings park bench green!  What was this guy thinking?  Did the wife come home one day and said, "gee honey, that park bench green looks great".  "Yes dear, I got it on sale at Sears."  Geeesssh.

apatriot

I'm trying to picture this raised ranch on East close to the tracks.  I'm guessing it is South of the tracks.  Is it?

Boris

Kit,

are the stools wood or padded vinyl?
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Kit

The internet is to philosophy as bumper stickers are to politics.

tgoddess

Is it wrong to say I have stool envy?

It SOUNDS wrong.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: tgoddess on May 23, 2007, 06:42:33 PM

It SOUNDS wrong.

Yeah, I think it is wrong.

Just don't leave a stool sitting upon their stool.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

tgoddess

Bear

Quote from: tgoddess on May 23, 2007, 06:42:33 PM

It SOUNDS wrong.

They make me diaper up before they let me out
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster