News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

DSL Speed

Started by Nazerac, July 31, 2007, 03:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nazerac

What's the deal with ATT, they don't have all the packages for Berwyn, the highest speed that I can get is:

Downstream Speed: Up to 1.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed: Up to 384 Kbps

Anyone else using DSL? What's your package like ... I mean speed?

OakParkSpartan

About the same.  Your speed is dependent upon the distance from the central office...the further away, the slower it goes.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

dukesdad

I signed up for that same speed package but never got anywhere close to the 1.5mb download speed. Most of the time it was barely faster than dialup. Turn out parts of Berwyn are short of phone lines and some folks have lines that are digitally split....a modern day party line. They were trying to send me DSL on one of the split lines, never did work. I switched to Comcast, more expensive, but always over 3mb download and rock solid.

berwynson

Quote from: Nazerac on July 31, 2007, 03:14:11 PM
What's the deal with ATT, they don't have all the packages for Berwyn, the highest speed that I can get is:

Downstream Speed: Up to 1.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed: Up to 384 Kbps

Anyone else using DSL? What's your package like ... I mean speed?

Speed notwithstanding, my nephew, who retired from Southwestern Bell (SBC), explained DSL to me thusly: As implemented, the maximum distance usable from computer to switching office is 15,000 feet, and the signal must be carried by metallic conductor, no fiber. So, folks in metropolitan areas, like yourselves, should have DSL readily available, unlike our area, where we are damn lucky to even get dial-up service.

Bear

There are a bunch of places to test your speed here is one of them
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I use Comcast, the reliability has been fantastic. The few times I had probs was on my end
with static build up in the coax.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...