News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

CMOS error

Started by buzz, September 08, 2007, 09:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

I'm receiving an error at start-up and I need help.  First, I haven't changed my computer's configuration or updated it in several months.
The message is from a program called MegaTrends #107, error in CMOS startup.  Press F1 to run set-up or press F2 to accept defaults.
I pressed F2 and my computer ran like a pig!
I don't know what CMOS is, so before I attempt set-up I'd really like to know what caused it, and of course, what the HELL it is.
Any suggestions?  Thanks, in advance.
P.S.  I think it must be coming from DOS, but can't find the error in any books.  It prevents me from loading Windows 98 and continuing unless of course I press F1 and run like a pig.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

buzz

I think I fixed it, maybe.  Went to "My Computer", and went through all the devices/controllers/driver.  Saw a CMOS reference "date and time".  My system was showing Jan. 1999.  How ?  I reset them and was able to re-boot.  Hope this isn't an omen.

Bear

Uh...Windows 98?...Perhaps you should change your socks
more often.
Good hygeine helps one meet more sharp chicks.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Shackles

If it keeps up and you don't feel like shelling out $$ for an updated system, try replacing the battery on your motherboard. It may do the trick.  Your computer is beginning to suffer from electrical alzheimer's disease...

buzz

Thanks Shackles.  Printed out all the instructions, will do it immediately.  Appreciate your help.