Don’t let Proksa Park go to the dogs...

Started by Bonster, February 15, 2011, 03:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

There is an email circulating about a petition for a fenced dog park in the Northeast corner o Proksa Park.
There will be a meeting held at the Proksa Park community house (tonight) 2/15/2011 at 7:00 p.m.
As I have not gotten permission from the author of the original letter I will exclude the sender's name and contact info.

Dear Fellow Berwyn Citizens,

Proksa Park is Berwyn 's largest and most beautiful park.  It features the Proksa Activity Center , a preschool classroom, lighted tennis courts, lighted baseball diamonds, a children's garden, the Baldwin Playground Area, two picnic groves, two ponds, a creek, and numerous manicured gardens.  Proksa provides children and families a safe, clean and protected environment to play, ride bikes, picnic, and enjoy the peace and quiet of the outdoors.

So please, don't let Proksa Park go to the dogs!

3rd Ward Alderwoman Marge Paul is circulating a petition sponsored by Richard & Emily Wyskiel to "support the designation and construction of a dog park at the Northeast corner of Proksa Park ".  This proposal would gut the peaceful children's garden and turn it into a noisy, dirty and dangerous dog park.  

Their petition claims to "establish a fenced in, off leash dog park where well-behaved canine can exercise".  In reality there is absolutely no means by which park officials can to ensure the dogs will be "well-behaved".  The petition only serves as an open invitation for unscrupulous owners and gang bangers to bring two of the most dangerous dog breeds, the pit bull terrier and rottweiler further into our community - less than 5o yards from the baseball diamond where children play t-ball.  

Illegal dog walking is already a problem in Proksa Park .  Establishing a dog park within Proksa will only further the delusion that dogs are allowed in the park.  We need to curtail this activity – not expand it.  The Berwyn Police Department responded numerous times last summer to complaints about owners illegally waking their dogs in the park.  As example, Berwyn Park District Executive Director Jeff Janda was threatened with violence when he approached an individual illegally walking his dog.

Given the fact that city budgets are already stretched to the limit, it is hard enough for the Berwyn Park District and Berwyn Police Department to control current mayhem without the added liability of policing and patrolling a dog park.  There are no resources or means to effectively monitor or control who will use it.

Tell Jeff Janda and Marge Paul to keep our park safe, clean and protected for children and families – NOT DOGS.  Attend the next Berwyn Park District board meeting to express your concern. The meeting will be held at the Proksa Park community house on 2/15/2011 at 7:00 p.m.  

Or email and tell them DON'T LET PROKSA PARK GO TO THE DOGS!

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

Just to be clear, I don't recall seeing anywhere that Jeff Janda was advocating for this dog park in Proksa.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 15, 2011, 03:05:53 PM
Just to be clear, I don't recall seeing anywhere that Jeff Janda was advocating for this dog park in Proksa.

Yes, it did look like that - I redacted the original post.

HKay

Bonster

yes, sir.    that's where my screenname comes from.

Ana

I've been at the park several times where I've seen people walking their dogs.  I, to my detriment, tell them that dogs aren't allowed in the park.  Most people get really angry, bangers and professionals alike.  I get angry because I would love to walk my dog in the park too, but it's now allowed, so why should they get a free pass.  I walk my dog around the park, across the street, never in the park. 

Also, since we don't have a designated dog park, yet, have we considered putting up poop bag containers within the city, different street corners/areas? 
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I have to agree with the writer of the petition.  Proksa IS a beautiful park - I consider it to be a jewel of Berwyn.  I've spent many hours there with my children and don't want the garden turned into a dog park.  I hate to say it but considering some of the element in this city I'd almost consider it to be downright dangerous to put a dog park there.  As Ana just pointed out and from what Jeff Janda has experienced there are some real nasty dog owners out there.  What do you think their dogs are like?  And BTW, I myself have two dogs so I'm definitely not someone who just doesn't like canines.

OakParkSpartan

Sounds like the gangbangers and their dogs are already there.

I say save that area for gardens.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ana

Proksa gardens are beautiful.  I'd like to keep them that way. 
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

berwynguy

Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

J'sMom

Does anyone else think the tone of the letter is a bit on the hysterical side? A bit dramatic? When I lived in Chicago, there were dog parks near where children play. There is nothing better than seeing a happy, friendly dog romping around with his canine buddies. It seems also that responsible dog owners who seek out a dog park facility understand they will be liable if their pet injures another person or animal. Who wants to get sued and/or have their dog euthanized due to a bad behavior incident? Taking a dog with an aggressive personality to a dog park where it would socialize with other animals and people in close quarters and expecting a positive experience is just stupid. Yeah, ok, I know there are stupid people out there...but still...

I agree with the dog park concept however it would be nice if it didn't take the place of the children's garden.

Berwyn Patsy

Even responsible dog owners will say, my dog would never bite or be aggressive.  If a dog Or even
A human is pushed far enough they will react sooner or later.
  Dog parks should be centered away from children and other people who may be afraid of dogs.
The park is not a place for a dog park. Just my opinion.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on February 16, 2011, 02:53:10 PM
Even responsible dog owners will say, my dog would never bite or be aggressive.  If a dog Or even
A human is pushed far enough they will react sooner or later.
  Dog parks should be centered away from children and other people who may be afraid of dogs.
The park is not a place for a dog park. Just my opinion.

"Other people who may be afraid of dogs"?  So put dog parks out in...DeKalb County where there are no people?

The letter was a bit hysterical.  The tone seemed to be more about not wanting hispanic gangbanger types around and using the children as a justification. 

Maybe that spot down along Ogden isn't all that bad?

Does anyone else other than the 3rd ward have much of an interest in a dog park?

Robert Pauly

We have people who don't follow laws / regulations and authorities who don't enforce them.  It is unwise to have a dog park - which is potentially dangerous, unsanitary and unhealthy - under these circumstances.

I'd bet that I spend more time in Proksa than most - there are many dog violations - most seem to occur during the weekends when more visitors and partiers are in the park.  If you approach someone with a friendly reminder that Proksa is a dog free park, you are more than likely to be received by a "Fuck off" than an "Oh, I didn't know, sorry - thank you."  And I can see it now - "Hey, we rented a picnic grove at Proksa, they have a new dog park - you bring Killer and I'll bring Thriller".  After 30 minutes in the dog park, Killer and Thriller will be tied to a tree in the park - barking and lunging at anyone who passes by.  Not to mention the mess.  There's no need for this.

And if you need a dog park rather than want one - if you have no place to run your dog - than you shouldn't own it.  A cat will love you, too.

And again, I own a perfectly behaved and socialized dog that would love to run in a dog park - I am not anti-dog - however, after pulling a supposedly friendly pit and Doberman from the neck of one of my Goldens, I don't take unnecessary chances anymore.

OakParkSpartan

Which is why we don't take our dog to dog parks either.

I just don't think Proksa is the place for it if you want one.  Find a spot like Forest Park which is dedicated to the dog park.

And you are right about not enforcing the laws.  That is a huge problem in Berwyn.

berwynguy

Quote"Hey, we rented a picnic grove at Proksa, they have a new dog park - you bring Killer and I'll bring Thriller".

LOL!

QuoteAnd if you need a dog park rather than want one - if you have no place to run your dog - than you shouldn't own it.  A cat will love you, too.

+100
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

Keeks

Quote from: Roach on February 16, 2011, 02:28:54 PM
Does anyone else think the tone of the letter is a bit on the hysterical side? A bit dramatic? When I lived in Chicago, there were dog parks near where children play. There is nothing better than seeing a happy, friendly dog romping around with his canine buddies. It seems also that responsible dog owners who seek out a dog park facility understand they will be liable if their pet injures another person or animal. Who wants to get sued and/or have their dog euthanized due to a bad behavior incident? Taking a dog with an aggressive personality to a dog park where it would socialize with other animals and people in close quarters and expecting a positive experience is just stupid. Yeah, ok, I know there are stupid people out there...but still...

I agree with the dog park concept however it would be nice if it didn't take the place of the children's garden.

I agree.  hysterical indeed. 

I also moved to Berwyn from the city and have had the same great experiences with dog parks.   my husband and I would grab our coffees on weekend mornings and head out to the local park to enjoy watching our dog play with his "friends"  he got to have fun and we got to have our coffee and socialize with our neighbors.  I miss that.  I know many other former city living folks like myself that would love to see a dog park in berwyn.

we lived down the street from Hamlin Park (Hoyne and Wellington) and took our dog to the dog park within it nearly every day for 2+ years and never had or expereinced a bad incident.  that was an urban area with pits/gangs in the neighborhood - yet in over 2 years I never saw gang member and their pit bulls gather at the dog park with their morning starbucks to socialize.  never. 

I agree that maybe Proksa isn't the best spot.  perhaps an area seperate from a traditional park  - like in forest park or in bucktown (dog park near Damen and cortland) would be a good solution.

Terri

What about the north side of Sunshine Park next to the tracks.

truman40

Someone mentioned to me along the tracks by the Police Station. This way your near the police if anything should happen. Although Im not sure if that is Rec property.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 17, 2011, 08:27:28 AM
Which is why we don't take our dog to dog parks either.

I just don't think Proksa is the place for it if you want one.  Find a spot like Forest Park which is dedicated to the dog park.

And you are right about not enforcing the laws.  That is a huge problem in Berwyn.
My husband has taken our Jack Russell to the dog park in Forest Park and they both enjoyed it.  Again, most people here sound like they're not against the idea of a dog park, they just don't want it to be at Proksa and for very good reasons.  The garden at Proksa is such a neat little place for grown-ups and children alike.  My youngest helped out there a few summers ago and it was a great learning experience for her.  We brought home some zucchini that were ginormous.  Why on earth would they want to put the dog park there?