News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Don’t let Proksa Park go to the dogs...

Started by Bonster, February 15, 2011, 03:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

Because some people don't believe in vegetables.

truman40

Mrs N,
there is a group of us trying to set up community gardens in Berwyn. If you are interested please visit
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Berwyn-Community-Gardens-Project/187897044568949
for more information and updates as we move forward. 
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Peridot 16

To the dog owners that walk down Home Ave, Clinton Ave, Windsor and 32nd Sts. and don't p/u the dog shit. Just leave it on the sidewalks and lawns. Be responsible or don't own a pet!

Sandy

The City of Berwyn does not have enough open green space for PEOPLE! Until that happens, why do we need a dog park?
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

Keeks

Quote from: Sandy on February 22, 2011, 07:38:52 AM
The City of Berwyn does not have enough open green space for PEOPLE! Until that happens, why do we need a dog park?

for being an urban community I think Berwyn has a nice amount of green space.  enough for people and dogs alike.  if you're looking for a more open and green area - perhaps an urban environment is not for you.

I would just like to see Berwyn become a little more dog friendly like most of the up and coming neighborhoods in the city.

I found this on the akc website and thought I'd share.

More than just "room to roam," the creation of a dog park....

Allows dogs to exercise and socialize safely. Puppies and adult dogs need room to run, and enclosed play areas permit them to do so while preventing them from endangering themselves and others (for example, by running into the path of an oncoming vehicle). In addition, dogs who are accustomed to playing with animals and people other than their owners are more likely to be well-socialized and react well toward strangers.

Promotes responsible dog ownership. Dog parks prevent off-leash animals from infringing on the rights of other community residents and park users such as joggers, small children, and those who may be fearful of dogs. Parks also make it easier for a city to enforce its leash laws, as resident dog owners with park access have no reason to allow their canine companions off-leash when outside of the park.

Provides an outlet for dog owners to socialize. Dog parks are a great place for owners to meet other people with common interests. The love people share for their dogs reaches beyond economic and social barriers and helps to foster a sense of community. Park users also benefit from the opportunity to ask questions of other owners and find solutions to problems they might be having with their pet.

Make for a better community by promoting public health and safety. Well-exercised dogs are better neighbors who are less likely to create a nuisance, bark excessively and destroy property. Their presence in the park, along with their owners, also helps to deter crime.

dukesdad

QuoteThe City of Berwyn does not have enough open green space for PEOPLE! Until that happens, why do we need a dog park?

Because a lot of those people own dogs.

TAL

Quote from: Sandy on February 22, 2011, 07:38:52 AM

This, to me, is always an interesting argument. Dogs are (usually) owned by people. (Many of whom pay taxes for schools, yet have no children, like me.)

TAL

Quote from: dukesdad on February 23, 2011, 12:44:37 PM
QuoteThe City of Berwyn does not have enough open green space for PEOPLE! Until that happens, why do we need a dog park?

Because a lot of those people own dogs.

Whoops, didn't see your post dukesdad before I posted. But we think alike...

Sandy

While I understand that a lot of people have dogs, I don't agree that a dog park is needed. People have had dogs for decades and did not need a special park for them. What has changed? We have had dogs in the past, but they are pets, not people and do not need to socialize with other dogs. (IMHO) There are a lot of children who are afraid of dogs. They need to be able to play freely without fear. There are too many unresponsible pet owners who will not pick up after them. I just don't see the need for a dog park.
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Sandy on February 24, 2011, 07:33:56 AM
While I understand that a lot of people have dogs, I don't agree that a dog park is needed. People have had dogs for decades and did not need a special park for them. What has changed? We have had dogs in the past, but they are pets, not people and do not need to socialize with other dogs. (IMHO) There are a lot of children who are afraid of dogs. They need to be able to play freely without fear. There are too many unresponsible pet owners who will not pick up after them. I just don't see the need for a dog park.

You need to read up on animal behavior.  Socialization is good.

Without fear of what?  You are talking in broad hysterical generalities.  Any dog park would be in a separate fenced area, with a physical barrier (the fence) between the dogs and the rest of the park.  As it stands now, you have gangbangers in Proksa with and without dogs.  What would change if decent people were there with their dogs? 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

I for one, was never scared of dogs, infact loved them and we have always been responsible
dog owners. 
  Then I was bitten while peacefully riding my bike, and now strange dogs scare the hell out of me!
They also sense when you are afraid which makes it even worse.  So if I wanted to take a
quite walk in the park, or take my grandchildren to the park, I would always feel threatened by
the strange dogs walking around the park area to get into their area.  Just because you have
a dog on a leash does not guarantee your or anyone else's safety.
  I would not expect anyone who has never gotten bitten to understand this feeling, but for us
who have,  believe me it's real.

Keeks

are you kidding?  exercise and socialization are absolutely imperative for dogs.

I wonder if those posting with all their "fears" have actually been to dog parks?  are you all picturing dogs running through the commons areas of parks biting children and mass chaos?! 

every dog park I've been to is in a far corner of the park, seperate from the rest of the areas (so dogs would not be walking through the park to get there) and double fenced (you walk through one fence, there's a small area where you can unleash your dog, then another fence into the actual dog park) so there's no chance of an unleashed dog getting out.

I ride my bike and run in many of the area parks in the warmer months and haven't seen any unleashed dogs (or any dogs at all come to think of it) but if that's an issue than a dog park would be a good solution.  people would have a place to take their pets seperate from the rest of the park.  if you or your kids are afraid of dogs... don't go by the dog park.

I'm with Tal.. I'm a dog owner and a tax payer.  and I am meeting more and more DINK dog loving tax payers like myself in the neighborhood who would love to have a place to go play with their pets and meet up with other dog owners.

Bonster

Well put.  I really think the idea that dog parks introduce a level danger for those without is overblown. 

~LL~

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 24, 2011, 07:56:19 AM

Without fear of what?  You are talking in broad hysterical generalities.  Any dog park would be in a separate fenced area, with a physical barrier (the fence) between the dogs and the rest of the park.  As it stands now, you have gangbangers in Proksa with and without dogs.  What would change if decent people were there with their dogs? 

Exercise and socialization are key – and up the odds greatly of the animal being a "good citizen" or a "good neighbor" – which is what responsible pet owners want to be the case.
I'm more leery and offended by the number of unattended/unsupervised and very poorly socialized children in the parks and on the streets than I am of any size or breed of dog...
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Terri

Quote from: ~LL~ on February 24, 2011, 01:01:57 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 24, 2011, 07:56:19 AM

Exercise and socialization are key – and up the odds greatly of the animal being a "good citizen" or a "good neighbor" – which is what responsible pet owners want to be the case.
I'm more leery and offended by the number of unattended/unsupervised and very poorly socialized children in the parks and on the streets than I am of any size or breed of dog...

+1 and LOL!!

buzz

No need to muck up Proksa.  We already have a dog park. Karban Park.  It's been there, neglected, behind Anderson Ford, for about 8 years.  All the City needs to do is fence it in, and enforce all the rules you would expect to be enforced to guarantee safety.
Karban Park was named after the builder who donated the land to the city, with the stipulation that it stay as green space for community use.
There's a whole internecine history as to how that little piece of land became designated as a dog park by the late Mayor Shaugnessy.  Doesn't matter.
It's currently just an open air toilet, where dogs run unleashed and unlicensed.  No one picks up after them.  Oh, and be careful because those 2 German Shepherds that live at the East end of the alley, they can get out over the fence !  They are not "socialized".
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

berwynguy

Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

Bonster

buzz

Quote from: buzz on February 24, 2011, 09:21:18 PM
No need to muck up Proksa.  We already have a dog park. Karban Park.  It's been there, neglected, behind Anderson Ford, for about 8 years.  All the City needs to do is fence it in, and enforce all the rules you would expect to be enforced to guarantee safety.
I want to clarify this part of my post.
Jeff Boyajian is responsive,  and the Berwyn Park District has been excellent in maintaining Karban Park.  It's now mowed regularly and garbage is picked up.  I don't think it's their responsibility to pick up all the dog shit.
The people trashing it are the majority of dog owners and the neighbors that border that park.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?