Don’t let Proksa Park go to the dogs...

Started by Bonster, February 15, 2011, 03:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

We have a dog park, Karban Park.  The nieghbors gathered 400 signatures for it and the sponsorship of then Ald. Menchetti, Alderman Gambina, and the OC.   Shaugnessy even gave his blessing.  Ancient history ? Probably.  The City has ignored funding for years.  That park was supposed to be fenced, that's basically all it needed.
So why risk hurting Proksa ?  Because the area residents don't want to travel less than 2 miles ?  The walk might do them, and their dogs, some good.
If there's un-used space at Proksa, develop it for all people to use, not just the dog owners.
I doubt the reporters from Suburban Life know the history.  How Anderson Ford tried a land grab, hoping to buy it for $1.  That's right folks, $1 so they could move their buildings off Ogden Av and build some monstrosity on land donated to the City for green space.  Land that is needed for storm run-off.  As recently as this year basements along 34th St. were flooding because the storm sewers are inadequate.  So there it sits, ignored.  The answer to every dog owners' prayers.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

PamF

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on February 17, 2011, 04:51:14 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 17, 2011, 08:27:28 AM
Which is why we don't take our dog to dog parks either.

I just don't think Proksa is the place for it if you want one.  Find a spot like Forest Park which is dedicated to the dog park.

And you are right about not enforcing the laws.  That is a huge problem in Berwyn.
My husband has taken our Jack Russell to the dog park in Forest Park and they both enjoyed it. 
So you have paid for the out of town tag for the privilege then? 

Bonster

Quote from: buzz on February 24, 2011, 09:21:18 PM
No need to muck up Proksa.  We already have a dog park. Karban Park.  It's been there, neglected, behind Anderson Ford, for about 8 years.  All the City needs to do is fence it in, and enforce all the rules you would expect to be enforced to guarantee safety.
Karban Park was named after the builder who donated the land to the city, with the stipulation that it stay as green space for community use.
There's a whole internecine history as to how that little piece of land became designated as a dog park by the late Mayor Shaugnessy.  Doesn't matter.
It's currently just an open air toilet, where dogs run unleashed and unlicensed.  No one picks up after them.  Oh, and be careful because those 2 German Shepherds that live at the East end of the alley, they can get out over the fence !  They are not "socialized".

From The Urban Mutt's Facebook page:

Great news for Berwyn dog owners! The Berwyn Park District voted unanimously to create a dog park at Karbon Park by a unanimous vote at a March 15 board of commissioners meeting.

The new dog park will include lighting, fences and water to be added to the location. According to Park District Board President Frank Amaro, the designation is official, but the park is still in the planning stage
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

buzz

Noble Falcon

buzz

They realized they don't have the money.

OICU812

I would like a dog park in Berwyn. Somewhere dogs can run. Forest Park has one that works really well and it brings a little revenue into the city. Everyone must pay dog license and all shots must be up to date and you must apply (and Pay)for a permit to bring your dog. The application must be signed and endorsed by a Vet, This would force all the bangers to actually register thier dog with the city and the vets won't sign off if the dog shows signs of aggression and not up to date on all shots.

billyjean

I have opinions on dog park which I've stated in the past, so not going into that, but I think Janura lends itself more to a dog park than Proksa.  The whole park could be a dog park.  It's wide open ... good for running and throwing ball or frisbee.  I realize they play ball there and during that time, no dogs would be allowed.  However, most of the time, there is hardly any activity over there.  Ppl who were hoping for the convenience of Proksa need only walk over a few blocks to Janura.

EC

1.) Janura Park is city owned, not owned by the Berwyn Park District like Proksa Park is.

2.) How would the city enforce dog permits and registrations when they can't even enforce vehicle stickers and resident only parking?

Jeff Janda

The Berwyn Park District is in the planning stage.  Construction estimates to bring in the electric, water, sewer and fencing are being received and a grant application for construction funding has been submitted.  Research into Cook County Department of Animal and Rabies Control in reference to their requirements,  as well as, conversations with communities with current dog parks in operation have also occurred for design and operational assistance.  I have also spoken with the City of Berwyn regarding the site, City pet tags, enforcement and other related issues.   

I hope this quick update helps.  This is an extremely busy summer with many scheduled projects and opportunities.

Jeff Janda
jjanda@berwynparks.org

Noble Falcon