News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Is it ok or even allowed?

Started by mustang54, March 16, 2011, 09:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang54

Tonight was the winter sports awards night at Morton West. I was wondering if it is ok or even allowed for a person to pass out election fliers on school property during a school event? Just wondering because I don't think I have ever seen anyone do it before.

exPROPer

Consider this: It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.  lol

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

NYWREB

The only thing I know is the 100 feet away from a polling place restriction.

I think - especially given that it is a SCHOOL BOARD election - that who ever was passing out the fliers is pretty smart.  I wonder how many parents at the event didn't even have the election on their radar...

mustang54

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 16, 2011, 09:56:48 PM
Who was passing out materials?
It was Rita Maniotis. I asked the question because of exactly what NYWREB said about the 100 feet from polling places. I was wondering if there was a similar rule for school properties during school functions.

dukesdad

I'm sure Our Jackal will weigh in, but I think passing out election material is protected speech. I think the only  time and place you can't do it is on election day when the pols are open.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 09:08:55 AM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 16, 2011, 09:56:48 PM
Who was passing out materials?
It was Rita Maniotis. I asked the question because of exactly what NYWREB said about the 100 feet from polling places. I was wondering if there was a similar rule for school properties during school functions.

I don't think so.  Political speech is protected.  As Dukesdad said, the only restriction I know of is the 100 foot restriction from polling places on election day.

Why would there be a restriction for schools?  I guess if you didn't want to expose the children to democracy...
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Shelley

Quote from: mustang54 on March 16, 2011, 09:16:15 PM
 Tonight was the winter sports awards night at Morton West. I was wondering if it is ok or even allowed for a person to pass out election fliers on school property during a school event? Just wondering because I don't think I have ever seen anyone do it before.

I'm sure that is frowned upon unless you are a coach passing out literature at school to student athletes.  Or if instead of literature you are passing out T-shirts supporting a candidate and requiring all football players to wear those at a town parade.  In those two cases, it is perfectly fine and, in fact, desirable.  

So, passing out fliers to children AT SCHOOL DURING SCHOOL HOURS=perfectly fine.  Passing out fliers to adults on school property = not ok.  

Got it.  

dukesdad

legal and frowned upon are 2 different things.

Shelley

Quote from: dukesdad on March 17, 2011, 09:58:13 AM

Mustang's original question was "is it OK or even ALLOWED?"  Didn't say anything about legal.  I remember when student athletes were asked by their coaches to pass out literature and work for Larry Dominick's campaign on their day off, that mustang thought that was ok. 

watcher

Like Realtors passing out business cards at a wake?
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

mustang54

Quote from: Shelley on March 17, 2011, 10:18:59 AM

Mustang's original question was "is it OK or even ALLOWED?"  Didn't say anything about legal.  I remember when student athletes were asked by their coaches to pass out literature and work for Larry Dominick's campaign on their day off, that mustang thought that was ok.  
Yes that was my original question . No I did not use the word legal but I did use the word rules. And in all fairness Shelley you are clouding the issue and my origianal question. There IS a difference between the actions of a coach or teacher in the work place and a candidate running for elective office. They are not similar they are very different situations. The other reason I asked is I thought you needed permission to promote anything on school property like a business or a persons candidacy.

Terri

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 11:22:27 AM

Mustang's original question was "is it OK or even ALLOWED?"  Didn't say anything about legal.  I remember when student athletes were asked by their coaches to pass out literature and work for Larry Dominick's campaign on their day off, that mustang thought that was ok. 
Yes that was my original question . No I did not use the word legal but I did use the word rules. And in all fairness Shelley you are clouding the issue and my origianal question. There IS a difference between the actions of a coach or teacher in the work place and a candidate running for elective office. They are not similar they are very different situations.
So the candidate should have located a coach or teacher to pass out the information.  Sounds fair to me.   

Shelley

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 11:22:27 AM

Mustang's original question was "is it OK or even ALLOWED?"  Didn't say anything about legal.  I remember when student athletes were asked by their coaches to pass out literature and work for Larry Dominick's campaign on their day off, that mustang thought that was ok.  
Yes that was my original question . No I did not use the word legal but I did use the word rules. And in all fairness Shelley you are clouding the issue and my origianal question. There IS a difference between the actions of a coach or teacher in the work place and a candidate running for elective office. They are not similar they are very different situations.

I agree, the two situations are different.  

1)  A candidate (RITA MANIOTIS - be sure to spell it right and then check the box) representing HERSELF at an SCHOOL event talking to real live voters about a SCHOOL election.  As another poster said:  smart!

2)  Coaches (paid by taxpayers on taxpayer time) representing a politician for a CITY election to influence underage students who are interested in pleasing said coach (whose job is controlled somewhat by politician's school board sitting son) to work for said politician for pizza and pay.  wrong.

My opinion.  What is yours?

mustang54

I will be more than happy as always to give you my opinion and maybe a little more information. And I believe I spelled her name right.
1. I thought the action of the coach or coaches was wrong, plain and simple. I thought it was a very dumb move  by some to try and score browny points. I can also tell you some who are being blamed for that mess in fact had NO KNOWLEDGE of what was going on and when they found out were even more upset about it than many of the folks who explained their displeasure on this forum. And that is a true fact.
2. Again I asked the question because I thought any sales or promotions done on any school property of any kind must be approved.Talking to voters is one thing handing out literature I would think is another. Don't spin the issue.
 Now let me ask you a question. IF it was a candidate other than one you like or support would your reaction be the same? Would you defend them? And if anyone can, what I really would like an answer to is my original question, is this allowed by law, rules or anything else you want to call it.

NYWREB

I gave my opinion before I even knew who it was. I think it was a smart move.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 12:54:34 PM
 I will be more than happy as always to give you my opinion and maybe a little more information. And I believe I spelled her name right.
1. I thought the action of the coach or coaches was wrong, plain and simple. I thought it was a very dumb move  by some to try and score browny points. I can also tell you some who are being blamed for that mess in fact had NO KNOWLEDGE of what was going on and when they found out were even more upset about it than many of the folks who explained their displeasure on this forum. And that is a true fact.
2. Again I asked the question because I thought any sales or promotions done on any school property of any kind must be approved.Talking to voters is one thing handing out literature I would think is another. Don't spin the issue.
 Now let me ask you a question. IF it was a candidate other than one you like or support would your reaction be the same? Would you defend them? And if anyone can, what I really would like an answer to is my original question, is this allowed by law, rules or anything else you want to call it.

The 1st Amendment would be a good place to start to see what is legal or not.

Campaigning is not sales or promotions.  

Robert Pauly

Given the choice of a candidate being too aggressive in self promotion, or ducking candidate forums and not completing candidate surveys, or being supported by political entities that will ultimately smear the campaign, I'd choose the former.  It's refreshing to see someone work for a 201 vote.

mustang54

Quote from: Robert Pauly on March 17, 2011, 01:07:49 PM
Given the choice of a candidate being too aggressive in self promotion, or ducking candidate forums and not completing candidate surveys, or being supported by political entities that will ultimately smear the campaign, I'd choose the former.  It's refreshing to see someone work for a 201 vote.
Another person avoiding the question I asked because it was done by someone they favor. You are getting to be no different than the people you despise.

mustang54

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 17, 2011, 01:02:23 PM
Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 12:54:34 PM

The 1st Amendment would be a good place to start to see what is legal or not.

Campaigning is not sales or promotions.  
Brian the 1st amendment right you speak of is not allowed within 100 feet of a polling place. Plus remember there are so many out dated rules and laws that are on still the books everywhere. I remember a few years ago I saw it was still illegal to tie up your horse on park district property! LOL!!