News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Is it ok or even allowed?

Started by mustang54, March 16, 2011, 09:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Pauly

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 01:13:55 PM
Quote from: Robert Pauly on March 17, 2011, 01:07:49 PM
Given the choice of a candidate being too aggressive in self promotion, or ducking candidate forums and not completing candidate surveys, or being supported by political entities that will ultimately smear the campaign, I'd choose the former.  It's refreshing to see someone work for a 201 vote.
Another person avoiding the question I asked because it was done by someone they favor. You are getting to be no different than the people you despise.

I beg to differ.  You asked if it was OK - which I addressed - it's obviously OK by me.  You asked if it was allowed - it happened, so I guess it was allowed, no?  There - I addressed both of your questions.  If you're asking if it's legal, I have no idea.

For the record, I despise no one.  But your statement does trigger a question: since you love the people whom you incorrectly think I despise, and since you say I'm becoming more like them, does that mean you're starting to love me, too - if just a little?

The Jackal

Mustang,

You really expect people to believe Larry Dominick was upset by coaches "politicking" on school time? Are you kidding us all? The ole "now you see it now you don't" routine? Of course that's what Dominick would say....what would you expect him to say? Mea Culpa? Please, for the love of God, don't insult peoples intelligence that way.

FYI, based on what I've read, there's absolutely nothing wrong, legally or ethically, with what Ms. Maniotis was doing.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 01:17:03 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 17, 2011, 01:02:23 PM
Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 12:54:34 PM
 I will be more than happy as always to give you my opinion and maybe a little more information. And I believe I spelled her name right.
1. I thought the action of the coach or coaches was wrong, plain and simple. I thought it was a very dumb move  by some to try and score browny points. I can also tell you some who are being blamed for that mess in fact had NO KNOWLEDGE of what was going on and when they found out were even more upset about it than many of the folks who explained their displeasure on this forum. And that is a true fact.
2. Again I asked the question because I thought any sales or promotions done on any school property of any kind must be approved.Talking to voters is one thing handing out literature I would think is another. Don't spin the issue.
 Now let me ask you a question. IF it was a candidate other than one you like or support would your reaction be the same? Would you defend them? And if anyone can, what I really would like an answer to is my original question, is this allowed by law, rules or anything else you want to call it.

The 1st Amendment would be a good place to start to see what is legal or not.

Campaigning is not sales or promotions.  
Brian the 1st amendment right you speak of is not allowed within 100 feet of a polling place. Plus remember there are so many out dated rules and laws that are on still the books everywhere. I remember a few years ago I saw it was still illegal to tie up your horse on park district property! LOL!!

That is a rather limited restriction.  And considering that the date in question was not election day...well, what conclusion would you draw?  Morton is not a polling place when there is no polls open.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

mustang54

Quote from: Robert Pauly on March 17, 2011, 01:29:29 PM
Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 01:13:55 PM
Quote from: Robert Pauly on March 17, 2011, 01:07:49 PM
Given the choice of a candidate being too aggressive in self promotion, or ducking candidate forums and not completing candidate surveys, or being supported by political entities that will ultimately smear the campaign, I'd choose the former.  It's refreshing to see someone work for a 201 vote.
Another person avoiding the question I asked because it was done by someone they favor. You are getting to be no different than the people you despise.

I beg to differ.  You asked if it was OK - which I addressed - it's obviously OK by me.  You asked if it was allowed - it happened, so I guess it was allowed, no?  There - I addressed both of your questions.  If you're asking if it's legal, I have no idea.

For the record, I despise no one.  But your statement does trigger a question: since you love the people whom you incorrectly think I despise, and since you say I'm becoming more like them, does that mean you're starting to love me, too - if just a little?
I didn't ask if it was ok with Robert Pauly did I? I asked if people are allowed to do it on school property.

mustang54

Quote from: The Jackal on March 17, 2011, 01:33:00 PM
Mustang,

You really expect people to believe Larry Dominick was upset by coaches "politicking" on school time? Are you kidding us all? The ole "now you see it now you don't" routine? Of course that's what Dominick would say....what would you expect him to say? Mea Culpa? Please, for the love of God, don't insult peoples intelligence that way.

FYI, based on what I've read, there's absolutely nothing wrong, legally or ethically, with what Ms. Maniotis was doing.
Where did I mention Larry Dominick by name? I never saw him on that election day to see how he reacted. I was talking about others who were blamed here. But thanks Jackal for being the only one to try and provide the answer to my original question. And Brian I know its not a polling place on non election days. Again for the fourth or so time my question was is it ok to pass out promotional literature on SCHOOL PROPERTY DURING A SCHOOL EVENT. That was the question. And so far Andy was the only person to try and answer it for me. Others turned it into a pissing contest bringing up past actions of others. What I asked was a very simple question. Maybe I'll just do what I should have did in the beginning and call an administrator at the school for my answer.

tgoddess

Mustang,

What REASON could there possibly be for it NOT to be allowed?

There are no LAWS mentioned in the State of Illinois Board of Elections materials prohibiting it.

Berwyn has no ORDINANCE against it.

The high school has no RULE against it (that I could find anywhere on their website).

So to answer your original question, "YES.  It IS okay and it IS allowed (at least by the State, the City of Berwyn and Morton High School).  

I'm so glad I had so much more free time than you did to just look this stuff up.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

java

Quote from: mustang54 on March 16, 2011, 09:16:15 PM
  Tonight was the winter sports awards night at Morton West. I was wondering if it is ok or even allowed for a person to pass out election fliers on school property during a school event? Just wondering because I don't think I have ever seen anyone do it before.

I don't see anything in the student/parent handbook that addresses or prohibits this type of activity.

http://www.morton201.org/PDF/curriculum-and-instruction/morton_1011_handbook.pdf

As a matter of opinion, I think the people who worked to remove Ms. Maniotis from the ballot have caused far more harm to the district as Ms. Maniotis' story continues to be told, than any 'harm' that could have come from having Ms. Maniotis on the ballot.  And this is unfortunate for all the students and people who work to raise the perception of the district.
The City of Homers

Thor

Quote from: The Jackal on March 17, 2011, 01:33:00 PM
Mustang,
My favorite is when they claim to "in fact had NO KNOWLEDGE of what was going on and when they found out were even more upset about it" We have some pretty UNKNOWLEDGEABLE people running the roost.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

mustang54

Quote from: tgoddess on March 17, 2011, 02:55:06 PM
Mustang,

What REASON could there possibly be for it NOT to be allowed?

There are no LAWS mentioned in the State of Illinois Board of Elections materials prohibiting it.

Berwyn has no ORDINANCE against it.

The high school has no RULE against it (that I could find anywhere on their website).

So to answer your original question, "YES.  It IS okay and it IS allowed (at least by the State, the City of Berwyn and Morton High School).  

I'm so glad I had so much more free time than you did to just look this stuff up.
I could not find the answer on the website either. But you could probably write volumes of questions that are not answered on a website. Three other things I have run into in the past also made me ask the question.
1. When I was managing privately owned ice arenas we asked local public schools if we could drop off brochures about our skating programs for the kids to take home. Every school in every town said they do not allow promotional material to be passed out for privately owned businesses.
2. When I was with the football parent club we had to have approval for any new idea we came up with that would take place at a school event.
3. This is only the second time I have seen a candidate in an election pass out their literature on school grounds during a school event. It was done both times by the same person. Never seen anyone else do it. Is it smart, sure, but it made me question is it even allowed if only one person has done it for all these years.
  As for your comment Thor. I stand by my statement because I know it to be fact. I saw their reaction when they found out what was going on. Some of you don't know as much as you think you know about people.

java

Mustang - I think your examples 1 and 2 are addressed in the handbook, section 730.13:

Student Solicitations (730.13)
The District shall strive to safeguard the students and their parents from money raising plans of outside organizations, commercial enterprises, and individuals. This policy applies particularly to ticket sales and sales of articles or services except those directly sponsored or handled by the District authorities.

At the discretion of the Director of Student Activities, non-profit organizations may advertise events through the school. Approval of all announcements and posters must be obtained in advance through the Building Principal.

In the case of Ms. Maniotis, is she 'selling' something? Or simply telling her story to those who would listen?
The City of Homers

mcaryl

Is it illegal? Possibly not. Is it ethical? No. It really shows the audacity of some our local politicians to be furthering their own agendas during school events. What are they really doing to help the students? Maybe it wouldn't look so bad if they actually had a well-formed strategy on how to improve the schools, instead of fighting for their seats. I guess as long as they aren't making the students pass the flyers out, it's okay right? It just seems to me that such activities are not 100% transparent and are borne out of opportunity? Just my opinion.
Berwyn resident 1988-2012.

Ted

Quote from: mcaryl on March 17, 2011, 03:58:37 PM
Is it illegal? Possibly not. Is it ethical? No. It really shows the audacity of some our local politicians to be furthering their own agendas during school events.

What if the school event is a candidates' forum for people running for the school board?  In 2007 and 2009, the Morton PTO sponsored a candidates forum at the "little" auditorium at Morton West. Both parents and students attended.

The candidates who attended handed out material about their candidacy at that event and were encouraged by the Morton PTO to bring material about themselves.

That was a school event, was it not?  Was it "audacious" for candidates to hand out material about themselves at such an event?

mustang54

Quote from: java on March 17, 2011, 03:57:55 PM
Mustang - I think your examples 1 and 2 are addressed in the handbook, section 730.13:

Student Solicitations (730.13)
The District shall strive to safeguard the students and their parents from money raising plans of outside organizations, commercial enterprises, and individuals. This policy applies particularly to ticket sales and sales of articles or services except those directly sponsored or handled by the District authorities.

At the discretion of the Director of Student Activities, non-profit organizations may advertise events through the school. Approval of all announcements and posters must be obtained in advance through the Building Principal.

In the case of Ms. Maniotis, is she 'selling' something? Or simply telling her story to those who would listen?
Thanks Java, but she is not telling a story. She was passing out literature trying to sell herself as a candidate. You are telling your story when you are invited to a function to tell it. I didn't pose the question because I have a problem with Rita, I don't,it just seemed funny to me I have never seen anyone else do this. And wouldn't literature fall under the announcements and posters category?

mustang54

Quote from: Ted on March 17, 2011, 04:08:36 PM
Quote from: mcaryl on March 17, 2011, 03:58:37 PM
Is it illegal? Possibly not. Is it ethical? No. It really shows the audacity of some our local politicians to be furthering their own agendas during school events.

What if the school event is a candidates' forum for people running for the school board?  In 2007 and 2009, the Morton PTO sponsored a candidates forum at the "little" auditorium at Morton West. Both parents and students attended.

The candidates who attended handed out material about their candidacy at that event and were encouraged by the Morton PTO to bring material about themselves.

That was a school event, was it not?  Was it "audacious" for candidates to hand out material about themselves at such an event?
Come on Ted that is totally different and you know it. They were invited to do so.

java

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 04:14:50 PM
 Thanks Java, but she is not telling a story. She was passing out literature trying to sell herself as a candidate. You are telling your story when you are invited to a function to tell it. I didn't pose the question because I have a problem with Rita, I don't,it just seemed funny to me I have never seen anyone else do this.

Of course you havn't seen it.  There's only 3 people on the ballot for 3 uncontested slots.

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 04:14:50 PM
And wouldn't literature fall under the announcements and posters category?

Yes, I guess you are right.  We should probably have her arrested the next time.
The City of Homers

The Jackal

Mustang,

Rita isn't "selling" anything, under ANY plain meaning of any statute, ordinance, rule or law....nor would any RATIONAL person believe campaign literature is tantamount to "selling" as contemplated by the sources you cited. Quit trying to blow smoke up peoples asses....LOL. If your nose is out of joint with the political shenanigans of the CVA and now you're trying to shift the focus, sorry, NO DICE.

What Rita is doing is both legal and ethical....no matter which way the "machine politicos" want to slice it or dice it.

Next.

Ted

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 04:16:21 PM
Come on Ted that is totally different and you know it...

It is also "totallly different"  between a teacher handing a political flyer to a student during class hours on school grounds versus a candidate handing flyers to parents during a school event in off hours.   And, you know it.

The opinion the school board gave in 2009 on the Larry Dominick flyers handed out by teachers to students and attempts by coaches to coerce students to work on Larry Dominick's campaign was that it was legal and allowed because of 1st amendment rights.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I give her credit considering the raw deal she received from Larry Dominick and Co.  She hasn't given up and is still out there trying to have her story heard and this was a good venue for it.  Parents who have children involved in sports in HS are usually very involved and committed considering the time and energy involved in having the kids in sports from most likely a young age - that's a good group to target.  Obviously, not against any rules or regulations that District 201 has so kudos to her.

mustang54

Quote from: The Jackal on March 17, 2011, 04:22:19 PM
Mustang,

Rita isn't "selling" anything, under ANY plain meaning of any statute, ordinance, rule or law....nor would any RATIONAL person believe campaign literature is tantamount to "selling" as contemplated by the sources you cited. Quit trying to blow smoke up peoples asses....LOL. If your nose is out of joint with the political shenanigans of the CVA and now you're trying to shift the focus, sorry, NO DICE.

What Rita is doing is both legal and ethical....no matter which way the "machine politicos" want to slice it or dice it.

Next.
I could care less about political shenanigans of others. Think about it, if its always been allowed why has no one else ever done it in any other election. Java I'm not just talking about this election as you pointed to. Here, why didn't yo ever do it when you ran? Did you think it wasn't allowed? Thats what made me think its against the schools policy. And Jackal my nose is far from out of joint. I'm not questioning the legality by some law, I'm questioning if there is a district policy.

mcaryl

I think I went a bit too far in my last post. What I meant more was that these candidates should not be involving the students directly. If it is an event with adults, than certainly it would be more appropriate. "Political shenanigans" should never involve students. Instances of this have occurred in the district, and as a former student, it does stir emotions when I hear the needs of students being put before needs of board members. In the end, this issue shouldn't be occurring as often as it does if there was more transparency and honesty. I wish the best of luck to Rita, as she is fighting for what she believes in and is doing it to better our community.
Berwyn resident 1988-2012.