News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Is it ok or even allowed?

Started by mustang54, March 16, 2011, 09:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 04:32:34 PM
Quote from: The Jackal on March 17, 2011, 04:22:19 PM
Mustang,

Rita isn't "selling" anything, under ANY plain meaning of any statute, ordinance, rule or law....nor would any RATIONAL person believe campaign literature is tantamount to "selling" as contemplated by the sources you cited. Quit trying to blow smoke up peoples asses....LOL. If your nose is out of joint with the political shenanigans of the CVA and now you're trying to shift the focus, sorry, NO DICE.

What Rita is doing is both legal and ethical....no matter which way the "machine politicos" want to slice it or dice it.

Next.
I could care less about political shenanigans of others. Think about it, if its always been allowed why has no one else ever done it in any other election. Java I'm not just talking about this election as you pointed to. Here, why didn't yo ever do it when you ran? Did you think it wasn't allowed? Thats what made me think its against the schools policy. And Jackal my nose is far from out of joint. I'm not questioning the legality by some law, I'm questioning if there is a district policy.

The US Constitutions trumps Cicero politicians.

If (and no one other than you seems to believe otherwise) it is legal under the US Constitution, then the rules of the Cicero machine really don't matter, do they?

Let's look at this another way...how many of the current candidates feel it is worth their time and effort to actually get out and talk with parents?  Only one, according to you...and that is RITA!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

mustang54

Ok Brian answer this, why can't you hand out fliers within a hundred feet of a polling place on election day? Why isn't that protected by the constitution? I believe that rule is in every city and town, and I don't remember anyone from Cicero creating that rule.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 05:24:51 PM
  Ok Brian answer this, why can't you hand out fliers within a hundred feet of a polling place on election day? Why isn't that protected by the constitution? I believe that rule is in every city and town, and I don't remember anyone from Cicero creating that rule.
Don't know.  But it isn't a local yokel rule. 

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

The Jackal

Maybe there's an exception carved out to protect the sanctity of the voting process? Just a guess.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: The Jackal on March 17, 2011, 06:11:57 PM
Maybe there's an exception carved out to protect the sanctity of the voting process? Just a guess.
Ding-ding-ding!  We have a winner!  I've been accosted in the Citizens Bank parking lot by big men trying to hand me palm cards and have had to tell them basically to back off because I know whom I'm voting for.  I wonder how the little old ladies respond to that treatment.

Shelley

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 04:14:50 PM
,it just seemed funny to me I have never seen anyone else do this.

That is funny.  I guess no other candidate has ever been interested in actually telling the voters what they stand for, what their plans are or why they should be elected.  It is much easier to have local politicians spend thousands of dollars (on a school board election for a district that can't afford new books!) on glossy mailings that lie about opponents, litter the parkways with lawn signs and bully regular citizens off the ballot so there is no competition (or democracy).  

Talking to Voters??  Showing up at Forums?  UNHEARD OF!

mustang54

Quote from: Shelley on March 17, 2011, 08:34:42 PM
Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 04:14:50 PM
,it just seemed funny to me I have never seen anyone else do this.

That is funny.  I guess no other candidate has ever been interested in actually telling the voters what they stand for, what their plans are or why they should be elected.  It is much easier to have local politicians spend thousands of dollars (on a school board election for a district that can't afford new books!) on glossy mailings that lie about opponents, litter the parkways with lawn signs and bully regular citizens off the ballot so there is no competition (or democracy).  

Talking to Voters??  Showing up at Forums?  UNHEARD OF!
How is it funny? I remember your husband,Ted and others talking to voters when they ran for the board. Ted,and Mark had no signs? Bully off the ballot? She was challenged because her petitions were challengeable. Was Ted,Mark or even Kelly tossed off the ballot. No, why, because they filled out their petitions correctly,and had plenty of signatures. Her getting tossed was her fault no one elses. Your biased double standards are showing.

mustang54

As for showing up at forums I was told a couple years back from a person who ran for the 201 board and lost that he was ripped for not responding to an invitation to a forum. As it turned out he never got one, it was sent to the wrong address. Yet he was seen as the jerk for not showing up or responding.  Sometime things are not always as they seem to be.

peer2peer

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 16, 2011, 09:56:48 PM
Who was passing out materials?

Yes.  I admit, I was passing out flyers at the sports awards at Morton East last night while I was waiting for the program to start as my son is a wrestler.  I got popped for doing it by Mr. Zarate.  He said it was a private event and therefore, I couldn't hand out campaign literature.  Every where you turn there is a "civics" lesson.

Rita   

tgoddess

And we wonder why people who aren't part of the political "machine" give up or never even bother.

The sea of bullshit politics is of unending depth.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: rmaniotis on March 17, 2011, 10:33:55 PM

Yes.  I admit, I was passing out flyers at the sports awards at Morton East last night while I was waiting for the program to start as my son is a wrestler.  I got popped for doing it by Mr. Zarate.  He said it was a private event and therefore, I couldn't hand out campaign literature.  Every where you turn there is a "civics" lesson.

Rita   

I'd be curious if there is any legal basis for him trying to prevent you from campaigning?

mustang54

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 17, 2011, 10:53:34 PM

Yes.  I admit, I was passing out flyers at the sports awards at Morton East last night while I was waiting for the program to start as my son is a wrestler.  I got popped for doing it by Mr. Zarate.  He said it was a private event and therefore, I couldn't hand out campaign literature.  Every where you turn there is a "civics" lesson.

Rita    

I'd be curious if there is any legal basis for him trying to prevent you from campaigning?
So essentially Brian you are asking the same question I started this topic with but asking it in different words! LOL!!

buzz

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bonster

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 09:23:13 PM
She was challenged because her petitions were challengeable. Was Ted,Mark or even Kelly tossed off the ballot. No, why, because they filled out their petitions correctly,and had plenty of signatures. Her getting tossed was her fault no one elses.

Why challenge in the first place and waste taxpayer money only because they're "challengeable"?

Just run and win based upon the merit of your ideas and/or qualifications.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 11:04:32 PM

Yes.  I admit, I was passing out flyers at the sports awards at Morton East last night while I was waiting for the program to start as my son is a wrestler.  I got popped for doing it by Mr. Zarate.  He said it was a private event and therefore, I couldn't hand out campaign literature.  Every where you turn there is a "civics" lesson.

Rita    

So essentially Brian you are asking the same question I started this topic with but asking it in different words! LOL!!

LOL!
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: mustang54 on March 17, 2011, 11:04:32 PM

Rita    

You are asking if she is allowed to do it.

I'm wondering if the guy who stopped her had any basis to do so.

Two different things.

Roger

Mustang:  The district's policy has always been that no political literature can be distributed or placed on school property.  The only exception to this rule is what Ted mentioned..... candidates can bring and distribute their literature at a candidates forum held at the school.   I don't know if this rule is written or unwritten, but it is strictly enforced.   Banners and signs hung in the main entrance during school events have been ordered to be removed........... and it doesn't matter what partys banner or sign it is.   In weeks preceding elections,  signs for candidates backed by both Lovero and Dominick that were hung on fences or pounded into the ground on school property were removed as soon as they were detected.    I have no idea what the legality is, but the rule the district enforces is the rule I stated.

Ted

Quote from: Roger on March 18, 2011, 02:28:44 AM
...  The district's policy has always been that no political literature can be distributed or placed on school property.  ...   I have no idea what the legality is, but the rule the district enforces is the rule I stated.

The rules were NOT enforced in 2009 when teachers handed out political flyers to students to try to trick them into working on Larry Dominick's campaign. No one stopped them even though the district had received phone calls about it and was reported to the States Attorney's office.  None of the teachers were even disciplined.  

The board's legal opinion was that it was legal for teachers to hand flyers to students on school grounds to work on Larry Dominick's campaign and prohibiting teachers from doing so would be a violation of their first amendment rights.

Why did District 201 allow teachers to do it back in 2009 for Larry Dominick yet say it was illegal for Rita Maniotis?  Why do teachers trying to coerce and trick students have more 1st amendment rights than a candidate running for office?

These teachers were not reprimanded. In fact, just the opposite.  The ring leader of the cabal was rewarded with continued stipends even after he was retired and receiving a pension from District 201.

That sent a message to the other Cicero machine operatives who work for District 201 - a wink and a nod - It's OK to try to trick students into working for the Cicero machine. You'll be rewarded if you do.

tgoddess

Quote from: Roger on March 18, 2011, 02:28:44 AM
Mustang:  The district's policy has always been that no political literature can be distributed or placed on school property.  The only exception to this rule is what Ted mentioned..... candidates can bring and distribute their literature at a candidates forum held at the school.   I don't know if this rule is written or unwritten, but it is strictly enforced.   Banners and signs hung in the main entrance during school events have been ordered to be removed........... and it doesn't matter what partys banner or sign it is.   In weeks preceding elections,  signs for candidates backed by both Lovero and Dominick that were hung on fences or pounded into the ground on school property were removed as soon as they were detected.    I have no idea what the legality is, but the rule the district enforces is the rule I stated.

If it's POLICY, please direct us where it's published.  I looked online for over an hour and found NOTHING.

If it's NOT published (especially online, where a majority of people look for information these days) then why is it NOT?  Something this important (which it MUST be, since it's "strictly enforced" should be accessible where people can find and be aware of it and there is absolutely NO EXCUSE in this day and age for not ever distributing as much information as possible to the public.

Someone at the district needs to get on the f*cking ball. 

Oh, yeah.  RIGHT.  THAT'S gonna happen.

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie