News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

201 candidates

Started by Shelley, February 20, 2007, 03:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

"We need our mayor and the movers and shakers of Berwyn to meet with the Chinese government, perhaps with their help we can better improve our schools."

Hmmm...Quite an interesting concept. As one of the Last Three Samurai of Berwyn, I hope to be included
as a participant on this city paid junket to bring scholastic improvement from the East to 60402.

Some of us speak the language.

The same Japanese principle of Bushido is practiced in China.

The residents of Berwyn expect nothing less than excellence in terms of education.

Leaders who deliver less will be dealt with accordingly.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Ted

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on March 02, 2007, 09:20:57 PM
In my opinion those candidates would be Mark Titzer and Ted Korbos.

I would also recommend that people vote for Ed Rios and Tom McClain.

It now looks like for the three 4-year seats, it will be 3 Cicero people (Dominick, Iniquez and Pesek) and 5 Berwyn people (Kelly, Fortunato, Titzer, Rios and McClain).

Ted

Sandy

[/quote] Well said Shelley. We need to prepare the kids for todays world not the world of Lavergne,Shirley,and Fonzi!
Morton offers 2 types of spanish courses in their language arts department. Spanish for those who do not speak it and Spanish for those that do. If they already speak it teach them something else. DUH!
[/quote]

I may be mistaken, but many "Spanish" speakers do not speak standard Spanish or have no working knowledge of Spanish grammer. That is most likely what the focus in these classes. Many students who speak Spanish at home try to take "regular" Spanish in HS thinking it will be an easy A and are mistaken when they can't pass.
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

Suzy Q

This is true.  Since most of the kids are Mexican, they do not learn to articulate well either.  The words tend to be slurred together and their grammar is poor.  If you want to learn proper Spanish, you would want to learn from a person who speaks the Spanish from Spain.  There tends to be a big difference.

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Can any of the Spanish speakers on the board tell me why Spaniards pronounce their z's as th? For example, Valenthuela.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

tgoddess

It's an interesting question, but might be just as easy to answer as why the English words, "though," "rough" "bough" and "through" don't rhyme.

:-)
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

littlealexa

"The resulting language was a hybrid because Castilian borrowed many words from Mozarabic, and modern Spanish has an estimated 4,000 words with Arabic roots.

The creation of a standardized Spanish language based on the Castilian dialect began in the 1200s with King Alfonso X, who was called the Learned–King of Castile and Leon. .

The Castilian dialect of Spanish gained wider acceptance during the reign of the Catholic monarchs Isabella of Castile and Ferdinand of Aragón, who completed the reconquest of Spain in 1492 by pushing the Moors from their last stronghold in the southern city of Granada. Isabella and Ferdinand made Castilian the official dialect in their kingdom.

The Castilian dialect of Toledo became the written and educational standard in Spain, even though several spoken dialects remained. The most noteworthy was Andalusian, a dialect spoken in the southern city of Seville in the Andalucía region" 

Mexico speakes the castilian way; without the th sound, not sure why though. 

There are many spanish speakers who speak correct spanish and not necessarily are they from Spain.  We have Cubans, Mexicans, Chileans etc. who speak perfect Spanish.  The problem our students face is not that they speak mexican spanish but that their parents have little or no education and thus their children learn the general spanish.

Being a native spanish speaker myself, my parents made me do my "Spanish homework" after I finished my school work.  My dad would give me homework so that I learned professional spanish. How I hated having additional homework growing up but now I thank my Dad for his efforts.  I know how to use both forms of spanish.  I once was translating in the professional standard spanish and the folks looked at me like I was talking chinese, once I spoke in the layman's spanish they understood me. 

OakParkSpartan

littlealexa,

Our former neighbors were teachers here for 3 years from Spain.  They taught Spanish (in Cicero), and they also stated that one of the biggest problems was the parents  being uneducated  and unable to help with homework.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: tgoddess on March 05, 2007, 09:23:51 AM
It's an interesting question, but might be just as easy to answer as why the English words, "though," "rough" "bough" and "through" don't rhyme.

:-)

Funny how those rules are bent depending on the word and its meaning.
Let's take the "f" from tough, the "i" from women, and the "sh" from lotion, and respell "fish" as "ghoti."

heh...just found a wiki entry on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti

sorry for the derailment --
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Ana

Quote from: Sandy on March 04, 2007, 05:02:54 PM

Well said Shelley. We need to prepare the kids for todays world not the world of Lavergne,Shirley,and Fonzi!
Morton offers 2 types of spanish courses in their language arts department. Spanish for those who do not speak it and Spanish for those that do. If they already speak it teach them something else. DUH!
[/quote]

I may be mistaken, but many "Spanish" speakers do not speak standard Spanish or have no working knowledge of Spanish grammer. That is most likely what the focus in these classes. Many students who speak Spanish at home try to take "regular" Spanish in HS thinking it will be an easy A and are mistaken when they can't pass.
[/quote]

That was me.  I took Spanish in HS thinking "easy A" -- it was one of the most difficult classes that I had through HS.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby