News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Next Time

Started by mustang54, February 28, 2007, 01:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang54

Well no more referendum voting til next year. That means people will see just how bad things are when some cuts have to be put into effect this fall. I hope next year there are new school board members who can go out into the public and explain why an increase is needed and what it will be used for. I think it was a disgrace that 3 times this issue was left to one administrator and a small group of parents and citizens to campaign for more funds. That in itself is an admission by them they are incompetent. They also show their lack of dignity by having the nerve to put their name on a ballot to remain on the board.
  This referendum should have been asked for years ago. Before the recent property tax hikes. Before increases in electric,gas,and everything else around us. Yes there are some people who will always vote no because they feel they have no kids in the schools. But I think in our area a lot vote no because right now they cannot afford any more increases in their budgets. Hopefully in a year that will change somewhat.
  I just hope people examine the choices carefully for this Aprils school board election. And choose the best qualified people and not sell out their vote for a new garbage can, or some blue garbage bags. This is a serious issue and is going to affect the entire community not just the Morton students. The fields,the gyms,the pools,the fieldhouses,auditoreums and classrooms have all been used by local park districts,local groups and non profit youth organizations in the evenings and on weekends. I'm sure they will now also feel the effects of cutbacks. In small rural communitys the local high school is the meeting place for activitys in town. Mortons facilitys have been a big part of keeping kids off the streets who do not attend high school yet. I hope for all of our sake that doen't have to change.