News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

201 meeting tonight?

Started by Shelley, May 22, 2007, 02:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelley

I think the special 201 meeting is scheduled for tonight.  Noone from this house can make it.  Is anyone going?  Anyone willing to report on this board? 

Shelley

Berwyn Patsy

I wish I would have known earlier, I would have stopped in Berwyn, saw my beautiful grand children and then attended.
Maybe Ted will go.
Then again, only 2 more episodes of American Idol left!!

Ted

I was not able to attend the meeting.  My niece graduated from high school yesterday and I went to the graduation.

Maybe Jman can give us a summary  ;)

mustang54

Went to the board meeting last night. Only five people in the audience. 2 parents and 3 staff members. Good thing you werent there Patsy. They came down from the executive session at 8:45. With that many new members I figured it would be a long one. All members were present except for board member Keating. The meeting ended at 9:20. Heres what went on.
1. They approved the personel items of replacement hirings for certified and non certified positions. Except they once again tabled the hirings of 7 coaching positions. They also aprroved all the administrative and student travel items.
2. Now that district 39 is being disolved  on June 30th per the referendum they are required by law to appoint a treasurer to oversee those funds.They appointed the business manager.
3. They also had to approve a bank to keep those funds in so they chose the Harris Bank which is the same bank district 39 used. Dr. Nowakowski said keeping the same bank would allow a smooth transition and that it be done temporarily to take time to shop around for the best deal they could get.
4. They approved summer hours for counselors and for special ed summer positions.
5. Approved alternative summer school.
6. They tabled the aprroval of a new club. President Pesek would like new clubs to come up with a proposal that includes a budget. This way the district knows their costs upfront and its not open ended.
7. Approved a facility request from Sequin School.
8.Tabled the approval of bids for Athletic supplies and office supplies. I think a member or two has done purchasing for local athletic organizations and feels the need to shop around for better prices.
9. Approved contracts with the City of Peoria district 150 who actually is in the business of overseeing medicaid payments for schools. Dr. Nowakowski explained they charge about 6% less than private firms to do this. He explained a lot of services 201 provides for special needs students can be recouped through medicaid. He said it actually amounts to about 200k a year the district is able to recoup.
And that was the end of the meeting. Very informative,Mr. Pesek asks a lot of questions and seems to be very detail minded. I think the meetings may be starting late for a few months as there is a lot to do to prepare for the fall and the four new members are brought up to speed. I really like the fact how they seem to take the spending of money very seriously and are not voting blindly.

Ted

Mustang54,  thanks for the summary.   Ted

mustang54

Quote from: Ted Korbos on May 23, 2007, 12:06:00 PM

Mustang54,  thanks for the summary.   Ted
Hey I learned from you how to do it!! lol

java

Thanks for the report Mustang.  I would have come, but I had another event I could not miss.

I will be interested to attend next month's meeting on June 13, where I believe the 07-08 budget should be presented.

Mark
The City of Homers

Berwyn Patsy

Thanks Mustang, I guess I'll try to have a little patience with the board and a starting time. I don't know why I am going to even ask this. Did someone at least come out and announce that , things were running behind time?