http://iirc.niu.edu/Default.aspx

Classof67

Reminder....

The 2009 School Report Cards will be available on the
NIU Illinois Interactive Report Card website on
October 31, 2009.

http://iirc.niu.edu/Default.aspx

java

An uptick for D98.  D201 and D100 mostly flat, with some solid results from Emerson.
The City of Homers

Ted

Quote from: java on October 30, 2009, 11:36:46 AM
An uptick for D98.  D201 and D100 mostly flat, with some solid results from Emerson.

Wow, Emerson has increased from 74% in 2005 to 89% in 2009.

In comparison, two elementary schools in Riverside had a score of 90% and a third was at 94%.

In Brookfield, one elementary school had a score of 81% and a second had a score of 83% and the third school in Brookfield had a score of 92%.

And yet.... Emerson's demographics are 71% Hispanic in 2009.  In fact, Emerson is the highest performing "regular" (i.e. non-academy) school in the state for any school with a population that is over 45% Hispanic.

Ted

Shelley

Emerson "outscored" 5 of 8 elementary schools in Oak Park (who spends about 50% more!).  2 of the 3 OP schools that scored higher did so by less than 1%. 

billyjean

Quote from: Shelley on October 31, 2009, 08:41:11 AM
Emerson "outscored" 5 of 8 elementary schools in Oak Park (who spends about 50% more!).  2 of the 3 OP schools that scored higher did so by less than 1%.  

Wouldn't that suggest that more money (taxes) then is NOT the answer.  If they are spending 50% more (which is a high percentage), and doing worse, what does that tell you?

Bonster

Quote from: billyjean on October 31, 2009, 11:40:33 AM
Emerson "outscored" 5 of 8 elementary schools in Oak Park (who spends about 50% more!).  2 of the 3 OP schools that scored higher did so by less than 1%.  

Wouldn't that suggest that more money (taxes) then is NOT the answer.  If they are spending 50% more (which is a high percentage), and doing worse, what does that tell you?

No.  Emerson is only one school, in a more affluent area of Berwyn.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bru67

Quote from: billyjean on October 31, 2009, 11:40:33 AM

It tells you we have an extraordinary school that all the others should be looking at.  My guess is with more funding, they'd be doing better.  If all our schools could perform like this, our property values would skyrocket.

Berwyn Patsy

I think your right, but you also have to look at the demographics
in this particular school and it's area.  More parental concern, and
involvement in this school compared to the others?

Bru67

I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm pretty sure it still has a substantial percentage of low income students, and of course, it's 72% Latino.  There's no reason to assume that parents in this particular area are notably more involved in education than in other parts of Berwyn, though I don't know.  Maybe someone like Bob Pauly can explain why it does so much better.

n01_important

One measure of parental involvement is attendance at PTA meetings.
Stupid fuck

Bru67

My bad.  The low income percentage is on the first page.  Emerson is 59% low income, versus 66% of District 100 as a whole.  Irving actually has a lower low income percentage (57%) and a lower percentage of Latino students (66.5% v. 72%) but scored lower.

Bonster

Quote from: Bru67 on October 31, 2009, 01:31:59 PM
My bad.  The low income percentage is on the first page.  Emerson is 59% low income, versus 66% of District 100 as a whole.  Irving actually has a lower low income percentage (57%) and a lower percentage of Latino students (66.5% v. 72%) but scored lower.

where's the trailer park down there?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Bonster on October 31, 2009, 05:30:29 PM
Quote from: Bru67 on October 31, 2009, 01:31:59 PM

where's the trailer park down there?
Glad you asked Bonster.  Irving used to be the highest scoring school in District 100 for many a year trailed by (you guessed it) Emerson.  Now the highest scoring school is Emerson.  The difference I'm not sure of is not parent participation because the parent participation is 100% at both schools.  Perhaps the difference is in the fact that Irving has seen a large increase in new teachers fresh out of school hired by the retired principal.  Hopefully, the scores will go up next year - we'll see.

Ted

Quote from: n01_important on October 31, 2009, 12:47:16 PM

Looking at the Berwyn, Riverside and Brookfield data for K-5 schools, the most decisive factor might be proximity to the Metra/Burlington train tracks.  Schools that are within a few blocks of the Burlington tracks do better than schools within the same town that are not as close to the Metra.

Ted

Berwyn Patsy

As I said look at the area surrounding Emerson school.
Demographics make the difference.
I wonder what percentage of moms in this area are stay at home moms,
or work part time only?

n01_important

Quote from: Ted on November 01, 2009, 07:12:50 AM

Looking at the Berwyn, Riverside and Brookfield data for K-5 schools, the most decisive factor might be proximity to the Metra/Burlington train tracks.  Schools that are within a few blocks of the Burlington tracks do better than schools within the same town that are not as close to the Metra.

Ted

Interesting correlation but is that causation?
Stupid fuck

Ted

Quote from: n01_important on November 01, 2009, 08:28:00 AM
Quote from: Ted on November 01, 2009, 07:12:50 AM

Ted

Interesting correlation but is that causation?

I was being somewhat facetious.  

I think people who buy in the area around Metra stations (at least in Berwyn and Brookfield) are more likely to have a higher level of education, higher income, white collar professionsals who take the Metra to work, regardless of their race or ethnicity.

Looking at the data from Brookfield was interesting. The two schools south of Ogden were in the low 80s (81% and 83%) while Hollywood Elementary (which is just south of the zoo and a block from the Metra station) was in the 90s.

But, another interesting factor with Brookfield is that all 3 schools are in 3 different school districts. Hollywood Elementary is in the Riverside elementary school district; one of the schools south of Ogden is in District 103 and the other Brookfield school south of Ogden is in the LaGrange elementary school district.

Ted

n01_important

Sound like the job for SUPER FREAKENOMICS!!   ;D
Stupid fuck