News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Morton vs York

Started by mustang54, September 04, 2010, 09:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang54

Before I talk about the football aspect of the game I have to mention Yorks band. Before the game they formed a Y on the field. Then they turned around and faced the Morton side and played the Morton fight song. Then turned around facing their fans and played theirs. Class move. Its nice to go on the road and see high school bands who have directors that know how to entertain a large crowd on Friday nights. Morton should hire one. Marching bands are supposed to march. And not just from the school to the bleachers. But Morton has heard this for years and has as they usually do chosen to do what they do best,nothing.
  As for football the freshman teams played Thursday night instead of Saturday morning due to the holiday weekend. I didn't go but was told the A and B teams both lost 25 to 0. I got to the sophomore game at halftime last night and Morton was down 21 to 6. The final was 23 to 6. Only score in the second half was a safety. Mortons defense played excellent the second half but could not muster any offense.
The varsity trailed 21 to 0 at half and ended up losing 34 to 6. York has a very good team that is very quick at every position. In fact Mortons gold division teams all played crossovers against silver division teams last night and the silver teams won all 6 games. The silver division has really gotten strong the last 2 or 3 years. The gold division is now Downers Grove South at the top and the others taking turns beating each other on any given Friday night.
  I've seen a whole lot of Morton losses over the years but this one was different. They played a top caliber opponent and pretty much held their own for a good part of it, a couple of mistakes on special teams cost them points but it was different than years past. In the past the score would have been much higher with a running clock and the opponents third string in by the fourth quarter. They kept their intensity all game long. And against Yorks starters. As for the coaching staff some will ask, very impressed with them. And I was not the only one.

bears85

Wheres this so called spread offense?  I thought that was why they hired this guy.  Yes they may be more talented  than us but if he was a good coach he would of found some way to get the ball to their studs.  I just dont see what direction the offense is going. IMO

mustang54

Quote from: bears85 on September 04, 2010, 02:35:53 PM
Wheres this so called spread offense?  I thought that was why they hired this guy.  Yes they may be more talented  than us but if he was a good coach he would of found some way to get the ball to their studs.  I just dont see what direction the offense is going. IMO
Were you there last night?

bears85

ya,  what were u watching?

The Jackal

Football coaches don't get hired because of which offensive formation they utilize-at least I hope they don't. They get hired because they know how to build a succesful program.

In a large public school setting, the key is developing a quality feeder program. Much like Tony Martinucci did with the basketball squad. Public schools can't control who walks through their doors (unlike private schools). Nor can they hand pick players from the grammar school ranks. As a result, they have to make sure that the feeder program servixing 

The Jackal

...servicing the high school produces enough quality, and numbers, to translate into varsity success four years later.

Of course, X's and O's, discipline, communication, structure, etc....are also important, but if you don't have the horses, you won't win the race. Simple as that. Football formations are only as good as the players executing them.

The time to evaluate a coach is after a couple of years when his frershmen are seniors and when there's been enough time to see the progress (or lack thereof) of the feeder program.

Whether or not the new coach plays a spread offense in his first two games is largely irrelevant. And I would submit to you that in a public school where the coach doesn't control the amount and type of talent at his disposal, being locked in/committed to ONE offensive formation is a dangerous and not too intelligent proposition.

mustang54

Quote from: bears85 on September 04, 2010, 03:55:09 PM
ya,  what were u watching?
The same game as everyone else. I saw as many passes thrown last night than in about 6 games combined last year. I saw spread formations apparently you weren't paying attention. A good coach would have found a way to get the ball to his studs? Are you for frickin real? It doesn't matter what this guy and his staff do you are apparently one who favors the past staff members who were nothing but losers for years. I'm sure you were one of the Gullickson haters also.

mustang54

Jackal the lack of a feeder program has been a sick ass excuse by Morton for about 4 years now. The jr. Mustang program as a program wins more games on a given Sunday than the Morton varsity has won in a decade. The problem is at high school level you need real high school level coaching and that has not been there. Its been about stipends,favors and freindships amongst the adults while the kids continually got screwed. ANYONE who says different is full of crap. Give this guy and his staff a few years to build a REAL PROGRAM and he will succeed.

The Jackal

Mustang,

I don't know anything about the Morton feeder program. If a good one is already in place, then this coach should turn the program around very quickly.

bears85

Quote from: mustang54 on September 04, 2010, 05:10:57 PM
Quote from: bears85 on September 04, 2010, 03:55:09 PM
ya,  what were u watching?
The same game as everyone else. I saw as many passes thrown last night than in about 6 games combined last year. I saw spread formations apparently you weren't paying attention. A good coach would have found a way to get the ball to his studs? Are you for frickin real? It doesn't matter what this guy and his staff do you are apparently one who favors the past staff members who were nothing but losers for years. I'm sure you were one of the Gullickson haters also.

Mustang 54 you  are a football moron.  What is your background in football?  Just because  a team throws passes doesnt mean that its well planned or well coached.  I watch plenty of football to know that the offense they ran last year is the same one ran at Georgia Tech University.  Whats that offense called?  the SPREAD OPTION!  Yes that is Spread!  Mustang 54, would you consider the University of Florida or the University of Michigan spread offenses? Think about your answer, because if you would actually watch some of their games and not waste time smoking cigarettes on school property you would know that those offenses run an option based running game with a spread passing attack.  Now Gullickson's offense was a different story because you cant just run a different offense or defense every week and expect to win.  A coach must have a philosophy and adjust to his kids and opponents.  The guy before him tried to run a pro offense with a westcoast passing attack, he didnt have the kids to run that offense.  The coach before him tried running spread but was not successful.  I was favoring the hiring of a hall of fame coach that is a proven winner over a guy with no head coaching experience.  What are you favoring?

mustang54

Bears85 I will ask you 2 questions 1. What years were you on the staff? 2. What campus do you work at?

mustang54

I probably am a football moron compared to such an esteemed coach as you. But on the other hand anyone who rips a high school team calling it foolsball on a talk forum,  and ripping a coach after one game is either a complete moron or a scorned former staff member. As far as preferring an experienced hall of fame coach vs someone with no experience I would agree with you. But if you thought for one minute that guy was gonna get the job then you are a bigger moron than you say that I am. And I had no clue how many candidates applied or from where.

bears85

Quote from: mustang54 on September 04, 2010, 08:35:59 PM
  I probably am a football moron compared to such an esteemed coach as you. But on the other hand anyone who rips a high school team calling it foolsball on a talk forum,  and ripping a coach after one game is either a complete moron or a scorned former staff member. As far as preferring an experienced hall of fame coach vs someone with no experience I would agree with you. But if you thought for one minute that guy was gonna get the job then you are a bigger moron than you say that I am. And I had no clue how many candidates applied or from where.

The funny thing is that I am not a "esteemed coach"  Im just a guy who loves football and watches a lot of it. I am lucky enough to be able to be on the computer during work.  So I am able to read on all of these different teams.  I never said that PP was gonna get the job I am just saying how much the administration of JSM doesnt have a clue on whats good for kids. 

mustang54

Quote from: bears85 on September 04, 2010, 09:51:21 PM

I am just saying how much the administration of JSM doesnt have a clue on whats good for kids. 
[/quote]  What ever gave you that idea? LMFAO! You have to admit though in a lot of cases administrators have no say so in the matter.

Roger

Bear:  You were a coach......  just not an esteemed one.

bears85

Ya I coached my son's little league does that count?

MindoverMatter

I was told by the players that they could see that York's players were faster then them.  They tried there best, and as a parent that is all you can ask for. 

Also the football feeder program in Berwyn cost about $200 per player.  Some parent's cannot afford that.  Chicago Park Districts are free plus at the end of the season they play at Soldier's Field.