News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Roosevelt is being "spiffed up"...

Started by renovatorbear, October 10, 2006, 02:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CozyNite

renovatorbear

this discussion reminds me of conversations i had with mr. phelan when he was running for office.  he came by our house not once, or twice, but three times to be sure that we were going to vote for him and OC.  i recall quite clearly that he said his primary focus if elected was going to be encouraging the new administration to revitalize roosevelt, as it was the perfect area for bars and restaraunts.  he said he felt it could be like or better than the revitalized madison street in oak/forest park.   he said that the previous administration had let it run down and that there was no excuse for empty store fronts on roosevelt.  he spoke of it with such passion that we bought into the idea too.

i wonder if he still sees the same potential and/or likelihood that idea could one day be realized?

i've driven past the corner of east & roosevelt every day and enjoyed watching the progress there.  it amazes me that they will be able to fit so many condos on that site though.   just seems too small for a 42-unit building.  the map on the website angers me though...that they would say it is near oberweis dairy and the oak park library is such a ridiculous stretch.  why not just say it's only steps away from oakbrook then too? geez...  ::)

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bonster on October 12, 2006, 12:56:46 PM
If Roosevelt comes to life, North Berwyn- from 16th on up, can be a real player in the revitalization of this town.  Composed mostly of single family homes, with some great blocks, dotted with classic homes throughout that would be jewels in any part of town, the location is without question one of the best outside Chicago.

I hereby declare a remapping of Berwyn -  :coreyhart:

North Berwyn - 16th St. on up
Midtown - Cermak to 26th
South Berwyn - below 26th

And those of us who live South of 16th but north of Cermak?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Boris

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on October 12, 2006, 03:30:34 PM
Quote from: Bonster on October 12, 2006, 12:56:46 PM
If Roosevelt comes to life, North Berwyn- from 16th on up, can be a real player in the revitalization of this town.  Composed mostly of single family homes, with some great blocks, dotted with classic homes throughout that would be jewels in any part of town, the location is without question one of the best outside Chicago.

I hereby declare a remapping of Berwyn -  :coreyhart:

North Berwyn - 16th St. on up
Midtown - Cermak to 26th
South Berwyn - below 26th

And those of us who live South of 16th but north of Cermak?

Middle Earth?
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Terri

Limbo!

Damn, I was betten me to the punch.

Terri

~LL~

If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Sandy

Sorry, my mistake. I know that some developer bought that block between Home and Clinton on Roosevelt. (The Oak Park side) to put up condos. Anyone know what the holdup is?
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

tgoddess

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

hounddog

Bear

I was leaning towards Limbo, but the Vatican put the ixne again on that deal last week,
( even tho is was removed some thirty year previous to that).

I would have to lean towards Hades for the multi units in that area, I'm sure BPD
has coined their own pet names for those locations. We were not that creative here
on Kenilworth, we gave our problem building its address when discussing it....3302,
four numbers speak volumes for this special habitat of wretched souls and the trust that owns
the hell hole
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

bohemian

When I was a child the areas from Maple to East and 16th St. to Cermak were reffered to as Berwyn Gardens, Gold Coast, and Berwyn Manor. Was once one of the most beautiful and well kept parts of Berwyn.  Filled with Italians and Bohemians.
Du Hast Mich!

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

unincorporated Berwyn, under the rule of Mayor OakParkSpartan.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

So what happens to those between 16th and Cermak? Are they SOL? LOL!!!
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bonster on October 12, 2006, 08:23:31 PM
unincorporated Berwyn, under the rule of Mayor OakParkSpartan.

Cool.  Guess that makes me Berwyn's first warlord.  I'll go round up my homies from over on 19th and Grove and take over the rest of Berwyn with a combination of pimped out car stereo's, old beaters used to ram through walls, and graffiti everyone's asses into submission.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bear

I envision succession...We could call our new village Mackinac Island South in keeping with the new Mayor's roots, and vision for his neighborhood he loves.

I'm in.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

tgoddess

If we're seceding and OPS is going to be our new leader, can I volunteer to be Prime Minister of Funkiness?
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Hey, La Pantera certainly merits a spot in the new administration.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

Dancing Queen

Quote from: bohemian on October 12, 2006, 08:13:23 PM
When I was a child the areas from Maple to East and 16th St. to Cermak were reffered to as Berwyn Gardens, Gold Coast, and Berwyn Manor. Was once one of the most beautiful and well kept parts of Berwyn.  Filled with Italians and Bohemians.

I have always thought of the area of Berwyn between 16th to Cermak and Harlem to East Avenue as the Gold Coast.  I know it's a real estate term, but I liked it. 

And, to me, the area of Berwyn between 16th to the Illinois/Central tracks and between Ridgeland to Harlem are quintessential Berwyn - it's what everyone who lives outside of Berwyn thinks about when you say the words Berwyn.

The Proksa Park area and the area from Oak Park to Harlem and from Ogden to the Metra tracks are really East Riverside. From Ridgeland to Lombard you have West Cicero. North of 16th street you have South Oak Park and south of Ogden, west of Ridgeland you have North Stickney.

It's only the area between the IC tracks and 16th street that are quintessential Berwyn.