News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Dormers gone bad . . .

Started by Bonster, February 01, 2007, 10:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 31, 2008, 06:57:16 PM
Bonster - What the hell are you talking about and what does it have to do with dormers?
LOL!  You're right, MRS. N.!  Back to the subject.

It's interesting how creative some folks have gotten with incorporating dormers into their rooflines in an attempt to blend them in.
Some do a better job than others, some are simply horrific.  Here's two by me (14th & Clinton) across the street from each other.  Not too bad, but the one on the left is very  interesting!

Roofline adjustments                          (File Size: 105 kb - 1024x388)
Click to Enlarge

Well whaddya know?  The one on the right used a dark green shingle.  No BEIGE!
It actually matches - what a concept!
Now let's take a look at the one on the left; Note they left the original front soffits in place while raising the roof to an otherwise bland shape.

I'll take that any day over what they did to that Riverside Drive home:

Roof Adjustment Comparison                 (File Size: 77 kb - 736x424)
Click to Enlarge
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bear

Creative?...   Not too Bad?....

Geez Bons, you wont be on the editorial board of
Architectural Digest in your lifetime.

That joint looks like a bohunk version of a barn from
Green Acres.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

Quote from: Bear on January 31, 2008, 11:06:43 PM
Creative?...   Not too Bad?....

That joint looks like a bohunk version of a barn from
Green Acres.

The "Not Too Bad" one was the one on the right in the TOP picture, not the Barn looking one.
And by that descriptor, it's all relative.  Compared to something like this, from earlier in the thread...
   vs.   
!!!!!!                                                           ntb
Click to Enlarge

...it's "not too bad."

Now...the bohunk barn...you may or may not now that the "Barn" look is the Original roof line.  There are numerous bungalows with those all around Berwyn (see the "Pagota mod" on p1). 
This particular modification was one which gave the roof a flat slope.  The "creative" part was keeping the original roofline in front - I'm not implying it was a good thing.

I'm largely against bastardizing bungalows for the most part. 

Bonster

This is how an addition is done. 
BRICK house, BRICK addition, wood fence.

Brickaddition.jpg                                                           (164 kb - 819x614)
(Click to Enlarge)
          (As opposed to this):

rbain

Hey Bon, I think that second one is not an addition. It looks to me like an enclosed porch- it fits under the existing roof line.  What's weird is the two doors on the side, and no window.

-Rob
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Bonster

You're probably right.  Although by extending the porch like that (to the house line) they probably could have chosen a better match. 
(oh yeah, forgot about the Berwyn Beige ordinance!)
Where you see a lot of funky mismatched rear additions are on the brick Georgian style homes.

Though mine is in need of some TLC,
I adore old wood enclosed porches. 

tony la

Two doors on the back in Berwyn.  Two exits. 
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

menace2society

Two exits = more than one family living in the single family home.

Bonster

Normally that's what I'd assume as well, but when looking at [either] house above, there's only 1 mailbox.  I'm thinking when they made the addition/ extended their porch to the house line they simply created two external entrances, one per floor.  Could be an in-law or older son arrangement.  The nice one is on 13th & Wisconsin, the other on the SW corner of 23rd and Grove (pvc fence).

EC

THat rear door configuration is very typical for homes that have enclosed their rear stairs in an open back porch situation. Typically one door leads to the first floor via the former open stairs and the other door leads to the basement via the open stairway usually of concrete. The two doors do not always mean an apartment in the basement.

Bonster

Is it normal for folks to put wooden lattice on top their chain-link fence for "privacy" ?

Fence abomination                  (Click to Enlarge)

Or is this just another fashion faux pas similar to leaving Christmas lights up year 'round...

Bonster

Having trouble trying to sell your Berwyn home with a bad dormer (complete with Berwyn beige siding to boot) in this market?

Try taking down your f'ing Christmas lights already!!!

BP will get you.jpg                                (Click to Enlarge)

Tony/Brandon, do you ever give such advice to folks who are trying to sell? 
When every little bit counts, no detail should be left out when preparing your home to catch the eye.
Nothing screams "cheese" louder than Christmas lights left up, even more so when trying to get someone to buy your property.

A.Malina

Quote from: Bonster on September 22, 2008, 07:32:58 PM
Is it normal for folks to put wooden lattice on top their chain-link fence for "privacy" ?

Fence abomination                  (Click to Enlarge)

Or is this just another fashion faux pas similar to leaving Christmas lights up year 'round...
Or it might be intended to limit a dog's access to persons on the other side ...
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Bonster

tgoddess

Whatever the reason...it's GHASTLY. 

Ugh.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Bear

The lights on the garage look so festive,
so I sent the big man over to hang out.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...