News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Bungalow kitchen floors

Started by Starly, February 17, 2007, 08:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starly

Hello All -

I saw a similar thread on the Chicago Bungalow board so I thought I would ask the question of those in Berwyn.

Does anyone know what the original kitchen floor would have been in a bungalow built in the 1930s?  We have beautiful golden oak on the main level, but some pretty beat up looking vinyl in the kitchen.  Does anyone know what might be there if we were to pull it up?

OakParkSpartan

Often Maple.  Could also be linoleum.

Cheers,
Brian

PS. Be careful of asbestos if the tile is rather old.  The glues used to contain asbestos as well.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

tony la

Most of the kitchen floors in the bungalows were maple.  
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Starly

Any one have a suggestion of how to do a "spot check" of what is underneath?  Perhaps at the top of the stairs that lead to the basement or in a corner?

Bonster

try a spot under the stove or refrigerator...
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Guy_on_Clinton

you can also look under the sink.. where there is usually a radiator... down there you should be able to see the wood.
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

Bru67

Mine was maple, under 3 layers of tile!  We stripped it and restored it.

renovatorbear

We also pulled off three layers of vinyl and found wood in our kitchen.  We opted for a laminated tile instead of refinishing.  We did, however, refinish all of the wood floor elsewhere in our bungalow.  And let me tell you...they was HORRIFYING!  (please note that the hideous and poorly designed side by side refridgerator has been replaced with a snazzy new one--one of those freezer on the bottom types with the split doors above.  It rules!

Bonster

I like that brick-like tile over the counters. 
What's the green thing on back corner of your counter, a cookie jar?
Are those heavy-duty contractor bags in the second pic?
I love that dog in the last pic!!!

Quote from: renovatorbear on February 17, 2007, 10:41:29 AM
please note that the hideous and poorly designed side by side refridgerator has been replaced with a snazzy new one

perfect for the basement bar!

Bonster

Guy_on_Clinton

we thought of the laminate and or ceramic... but the cost was going to be the same ... so we decided to have it refinished....

Boris

Ours had hideous green linoleum. On our second walk-through, when we were going to give an offer, I did the under-the-sink peek, pulling a little linoleum just enough to see maple underneath.

...it refinished beautifully.

Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Guy_on_Clinton

Bo

Your project came out awesome...  very cool that you were able to keep the window!

Bonster

Our kitchen was updated, but with cabinets that don't really match the door and one original cabinet still in there.  It works, but ultimately I'd like to have an exact match.   We have a huge problem with configuration with the doorway to the attic being in the kitchen, rather than in the dining room or hallway. 

@Guy - that was some SERIOUS 70's flooring you had goin' there!

Bear

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

hounddog

What a great luittle dog -- you say you have two of those?  let's see front view of him!

Starly

Wow, I'm really impressed with the flooring I've seen in these posts.  My guess is you're a lot more "handy" than I am.  Any one use a professional?

Bear

I did all of mine. It is a nasty job. I say, have someone else do it, by the time you rent the machine
and get all the stuff, its about the same price as having someone do it for you.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

Sweet flooring, Bear.

That's original design?  damn . . .

Imagine how much it would cost to reproduce that today.

Bear

Original stuff Bonster, after sanding I stood there realizing the last time somone saw this floor
in its natural state was close to 100 years ago