News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

6849 Riverside Drive

Started by DFlynn, August 23, 2007, 05:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungalow

It's really sad to see how much water damage, etc. resulted from years of neglect, and that so many fixtures, etc. were ripped out ad destroyed by vandals.  Let's hope that the current owner cares enough about the history and legacy of the house to sell to someone who will save as much as possible of the salvagable original components.  FYI, I learned that the Sleazak family that owns the house is not related to the late Berwyn Republican Committeeman Charlie Slezak.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Bungalow on September 20, 2007, 12:20:40 AM
It's really sad to see how much water damage, etc. resulted from years of neglect, and that so many fixtures, etc. were ripped out ad destroyed by vandals.  Let's hope that the current owner cares enough about the history and legacy of the house to sell to someone who will save as much as possible of the salvagable original components.  FYI, I learned that the Sleazak family that owns the house is not related to the late Berwyn Republican Committeeman Charlie Slezak.
If the current owner cared about the home at all it would not be in the sad shape it's in now.  They would have either sold it already or taken care of it in the first place or hired someone to rehab it.  At this point it seems the only thing they care about is how much money they can get for it and considering what I've read here they need to drop the price significantly to get a buyer.

Bungalocity

I grabbed a listing on it righ before I made a contract on mine.  $379k I believe.
That may seem like a ton, but where I'm moving from on the NW side, in that condition, that size lot,
would probably fetch an easy $450k.  A lady walking her kids past whispered, "I hear it's haunted!"
LOL...... :666:
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Someone has placed a contract on this home from what I see on the MLS!  Welcome to Berwyn!

DFlynn

6849 Riverside Drive is indeed under contract... The people buying it are already berwyn residents that have restored their current bungalow and have been watching this house for several years... I look forward to a successful closing and watching their progress with this great house.
Darrin Flynn
Baird & Warner Real Estate
Office:  708-697-5937
Cell:  773-951-9613
darrin.flynn@bairdwarner.com

LaDrive

Well, when is it going to close?
We all want to see how much the buyer overpaid for this GEM.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: LaDrive on January 27, 2008, 08:33:31 PM
Well, when is it going to close?
We all want to see how much the buyer overpaid for this GEM.

Why do you care?  If someone buys the place, fixes it up, it is good for the community.  Why do you feel the need to put someone down who is doing something which benefits the town?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Nazerac

I also heard that the big bungalow on Home and 19th (??) finally sold for about $385K.  Can anyone confirm?  That's a steal for such a beautiful bungalow.  Too bad the floor finishers didn't too a good job, the wood foor was quite wavy when I saw it at the Bungalow Tour.

OakParkSpartan

I don't know about the price, but it did sell.  A couple from Oak Park moved in.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

tgoddess

Quote from: Nazerac on January 28, 2008, 11:16:43 AM
I also heard that the big bungalow on Home and 19th (??) finally sold for about $385K.  Can anyone confirm?  That's a steal for such a beautiful bungalow.  Too bad the floor finishers didn't too a good job, the wood foor was quite wavy when I saw it at the Bungalow Tour.

Yes, I think it sold back in November or early December to a nice couple (both dentists) with one child.  Hope they stick around!!!!
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Nazerac

Quote from: tgoddess on January 28, 2008, 02:41:45 PM

Yes, I think it sold back in November or early December to a nice couple (both dentists) with one child.  Hope they stick around!!!!

I heard that they were lawyers ... love those neighborly rumors!

tgoddess

Hmmm.  Well, I only heard it from the people who live next door...I suppose they could have been mistaken.  I haven't met them...just heard they were nice.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

MRS. NORTHSIDER

In the past few years I know of at least 4 properties right by me (I'm by MacNeal in the DD) that sold to people from Oak Park.  If the high school is not an issue for you Berwyn is a good buy.  Good housing stock at a much more affordable price and our taxes are much lower than Oak Park if you compare two similar homes in both suburbs. 

Bonster

I know a guy (~ my age (old)) who grew up in that home.  He can be found at the 16th St. Pub when he's visiting from ... Plainfield. ;D

It's interesting listening to him describe that same area when he was growing up. 
Our other pal who's from and still lives/owns a 3-flat right there on 1600 Oak Park seems to think it's not all that bad. 
Meanwhile we have folks scared to walk the sidewalks there. :D
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Bonster on January 28, 2008, 04:45:18 PM

I know a guy (~ my age (old)) who grew up in that home.  He can be found at the 16th St. Pub when he's visiting from ... Plainfield. ;D

It's interesting listening to him describe that same area when he was growing up. 
Our other pal who's from and still lives/owns a 3-flat right there on 1600 Oak Park seems to think it's not all that bad. 
Meanwhile we have folks scared to walk the sidewalks there. :D
Obviously the guy who grew up in that home still has an attachment to Berwyn if he comes all the way from Plainfield to go to the 16th St. Pub.  Of course I've been to Plainfield and will take Berwyn any day.  Why are people scared to walk the sidewalks there?  I've know I've been living on the south end for 14 years now but I still drive through that part of town and as I posted recently in another thread here have taken the youngest to the Berwyn Gardens playground and felt safe. 

Then again, I grew up in the big bad city (Chicago).

Bonster

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 28, 2008, 04:58:54 PM
Obviously the guy who grew up in that home still has an attachment to Berwyn if he comes all the way from Plainfield to go to the 16th St. Pub.  
Yeah, it's called "friends."

People are probably anxious about walking by thug-looking black kids there.
I haven't had a problem with them other than the occasional bogus crack deal here & there on OPA.
I'd be more worried about riding my bike in Oak Park:fiveoh:
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Boris

Quote from: Nazerac on January 28, 2008, 02:45:36 PM

Dentists, lawyers...what's the difference? They both help people chew things up.

[rim shot]
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

tony la

$385,000 was the sale price on 1942 S. Home
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

tony la

Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Boris on January 28, 2008, 06:19:02 PM
Quote from: Nazerac on January 28, 2008, 02:45:36 PM

Dentists, lawyers...what's the difference? They both help people chew things up.

[rim shot]Lions and tigers and bears oh my!