News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Storm Damage?

Started by watcher, June 15, 2008, 10:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watcher

Did anyone else take a hit?

My father's day present was a 30' section of Maple that impacted my roof and front porch.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

frank white

Major damage or cosmetic?
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!

tgoddess

LOTS of tree parts (and some whole trees) down and in the streets in Funkytown.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: tgoddess on June 15, 2008, 10:19:30 AM
LOTS of tree parts (and some whole trees) down and in the streets in Funkytown.
Same over here around 34th and OP.  A power line came down in the 3300 block of Wesley and burned for about an hour - street was cordoned off and a few houses evacuated.  Some people without electricity and some people with property damage from the trees.  All in all a mess with another round of thunderstorms predicted for this afternoon.

truman40

Lots of tree branches down. The house on the corner of 31st & Clarence had a branch through its front window and a car was totaled on 31st. At least no one was hurt.
City is here cutting down the branches and clearing off the streets. All in all it could have been worse.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Hogzilla

34th and Wisconsin has two trees down across the street. No cars can get through 34th. One tree was broken in half, the other uprooted.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Terri

Tree on 30th and Wesley taken down at its trunk.  Saw a tree on 34th and Home totally up rooted, surrounding grass and all.  If you look at the radar Berwyn's location was directly at the "V" section of the storm.   

OakParkSpartan

19th and Clinton has a couple of very large branches down in front yards.  Didn't hit the homes from what I could see.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

watcher

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Berwyn Patsy

Will the recent lay-offs effect the clean up efforts of the damage?  Or will OT be in
order now?

frank white

That is a good question and I know if I was given a letter of impending lay-off I sure wouldn't rush out on a Sunday to save the City. We will have to wait for the reports to come in.
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!

Boris

I found the flag-and-pole that formerly graced the front of our house, and half of the bracket still attached, halfway down the block. Half of the cast aluminum bracket is still attached to the front of the house...that was some wind. The south end of Oak Park looks like a war-zone.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Vic0218

Our friends across Harlem in Riverside really took a hit as well (see pics below). Luckily nothing too eventful on Clinton & 32nd.

Also, the street lights are out and have been all day at 26th & Harlem....plus the Jewel there is still closed as there is no power in that immediate vicinity.

I was headed for the basement right after the hail started......hope there isn't a second round this afternoon.
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened" - Cora Harvey Armstrong

sciapod

The fire dept came out to cut up large branches on 1800 blk of Clinton; they said they were covering for laid off Street & San employees.

Juliet

Power has just been restored near Pershing and Oak Park.  It went out the second the storm rains started pounding at the window.  Street lights were out at 39th and Harlem and at Harlem and Joliet.  The Jewel didn't have power either.  I heard that the 1st ward had 3 different situations where a tree went through the roof of a house.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

OICU812

2500 block of Clarence. Did not lose any power. This huge tree just split in half. missed the house and cars (amazing) but it stripped the side branches off the 2 trees next to it.

renovatorbear

Tree limbs down by us too.  Some in our front yard but not on the house.  Strangely, our market umbrella was still unfolded and standing!  We were in Oakbrook this afternoon, and in there are whole sections of trees down there.  All of them broken at about the same spot, like a truck plowed them all down, but it was the storm.

Also, our water pressure has been greatly decreased all day.  We noticed it at 9 a.m. and called our neighbors.  They had noticed it too as did a friend of theirs severql blocks away.  No idea what it's about...

That was one helluva storm.  Our master bedroom is in on the attic level and it was loud on our roof and punding the dormer windows.

~LL~

Quote from: renovatorbear on June 15, 2008, 06:27:26 PM
Also, our water pressure has been greatly decreased all day.  We noticed it at 9 a.m. and called our neighbors.  They had noticed it too as did a friend of theirs severql blocks away.  No idea what it's about...

Good sized limb down from the tree on the parkway, but no damage to house or gardens.
Thanks for mentioning the water pressure.  Ours has been low all day, too.  Anyone know why?
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Hogzilla

House near 36th and Home had the tree in their parkway down. Fortunately there is minimal damage to the homes. It kind of landed between two houses. Everyone was ok. They described what happened as a microburst. It kind of looked like it too. Three homes in a row torn up and the rest just fine. Was quite a storm that went through here. We are lucky, but there are 5 trees across the street that look like they are just waiting to put our insurance policy to use.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Bonster

Quote from: watcher on June 15, 2008, 11:32:07 AM
http://forestparkforums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2574

holy crap that sux, watcher.  sorry to see that...got the front porch area as well.  hopefully you'll get someone good to restore it...

Boris had something similiar a couple years ago...

http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=1951.msg69288#msg69288
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"