News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Storm Damage?

Started by watcher, June 15, 2008, 10:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matryoshka

I wonder how/if that tree w/the giant treehouse (down by Ogden and what is it, Clinton, Home, Kenilworth?) held up thru the storm

dukesdad

We were on the 4th hole at Fresh Meadow when the storm hit. About 20 of us huddled under a lean to and rode it out. I must admit it scared the hell out of me. Tree branches were snapping everywhere and sailing by us like twigs. If we had any sense we would have gone in a hole earlier, but if we had any sense we wouldn't be out golfing at 6:30 on Sunday.

formerfalcon

Quote from: Hogzilla on June 15, 2008, 10:10:08 PM
House near 36th and Home had the tree in their parkway down. Fortunately there is minimal damage to the homes. It kind of landed between two houses. Everyone was ok. They described what happened as a microburst. It kind of looked like it too. Three homes in a row torn up and the rest just fine. Was quite a storm that went through here. We are lucky, but there are 5 trees across the street that look like they are just waiting to put our insurance policy to use.

Hogzilla - you are right on about that - either our home or car insurance - I was already burned once - long time ago with my 2 month old mini-van - had it parked out front and a storm like Sunday AM hit and down came one of her branches from across the street right onto my new car.  So if you look closely I hardly ever park out front - especially when there are storms in the area.     ;D

Hogzilla

Quote from: formerfalcon on June 16, 2008, 12:47:02 PM
Quote from: Hogzilla on June 15, 2008, 10:10:08 PM
House near 36th and Home had the tree in their parkway down. Fortunately there is minimal damage to the homes. It kind of landed between two houses. Everyone was ok. They described what happened as a microburst. It kind of looked like it too. Three homes in a row torn up and the rest just fine. Was quite a storm that went through here. We are lucky, but there are 5 trees across the street that look like they are just waiting to put our insurance policy to use.

Hogzilla - you are right on about that - either our home or car insurance - I was already burned once - long time ago with my 2 month old mini-van - had it parked out front and a storm like Sunday AM hit and down came one of her branches from across the street right onto my new car.  So if you look closely I hardly ever park out front - especially when there are storms in the area.     ;D

I think I need to make some space in the garage.  ;) Neither of our cars are just wonderful, but sure don't want them smashed. I was watching that really tall narrow one during the storm. It was going one way, then the other, then back. It was quite concerning. Fortunately just one branch and some twigs came down.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

watcher

Quote from: Grandma Vlasta on June 15, 2008, 10:34:01 PM

holy crap that sux, watcher.  sorry to see that...got the front porch area as well.  hopefully you'll get someone good to restore it...

Boris had something similiar a couple years ago...
http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=1951.msg69288#msg69288

Thank you kindly Grandma. Today is going much better than yesterday.
Lyons Tree Service not only returned my call, but showed up, gave a fair price (considering the situation I was in) and said they could have
a crew come by this morning.

I thought I could get a few other errands done in the interim, but got a call that the crew had arrived. They cut and boomed, boomed and cut.
Tree is gone. So, relatively, it was a good experience?

It's done.

A.J. O'Rourke patched the holes in the main roof. So now we deal with adjusters and claims.
But that's why we've dutifully paid our insurance premiums...

Restoration is still on the horizon, but visible.

The sunny and pleasant weather was a nice touch. Thanks Big Guy.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Guy_on_Clinton

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 15, 2008, 11:13:26 AM
19th and Clinton has a couple of very large branches down in front yards.  Didn't hit the homes from what I could see.

no homes on this block were hit...   Our patio umbrella was bent and broken....   

???For some reason... we seem to have lost water pressure.. my neighbor next to me experienced the same... still today..
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

renovatorbear

Quote from: Guy_on_Clinton
???For some reason... we seem to have lost water pressure.. my neighbor next to me experienced the same... still today..

us too.   we and our neighbors (as well as people we know several blocks west of us) all noticed it yesterday morning.  It's still low today...

dukesdad

Power off at the pumping station?

Thor

I know the storm was bad But this does bring up the question of What is Berwyn Doing about an aging tree population???

Sat. I had the bike out and noticed a lot of older sickly looking trees around Berwyn. One good storm like Sunday moring and things could have been a Lot worse!

Berwyn needs a plan to deal with these older unhealthy trees and replace them with young'ens.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

Bear

Quote from: dukesdad on June 16, 2008, 01:57:26 PM
Power off at the pumping station?

Yup that is what I was told. Looks like the nort side got is worse, at least 7
FLATTENED cars
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

confused

This is the lords way of trimming trees and getting rid of dead branches.(and then some)

~LL~

From an e-mail to alderpersons today:

Public Works continues to address cleanup efforts from the wind storm
that struck the city at 8 am Sunday.  Hundreds of trees are down or
damaged throughout the city.  Landscape Concepts, the City's contractual
trimming company, is in town today to assist with the removal of trees
from homes and vehicles.  Landscape Concepts is operating two "boom"
trucks and three large chippers to assist the efforts of our crews.

Public Works crews will be traveling all streets throughout the city to
collect and dispose of all down branches and debris.  All other
non-essential activities, such as street sweeping and rail station cleanup is
suspended until  further notice.

Public Works expects to continue these efforts at least through the
week until the areas are clear of debris.

And just add more fun to the mix, 19th Street Pump Station has been
without power since the storm.  Water pressure is very low in the northern
portion of the city but still remains above the legal minimum.  All
water pressure is now being regulated by the elevated water tank at 30th
Street further reducing the pressure to the northern sections.  Staff
has been working closely with ComEd to restore electricity.  ComEd needs
to replace a large transmission feeder in Cicero in order to
reestablish power to the station.  No firm ETA can be garnered at this time.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Terri

Following that information, the electric at the 19th St. pumping station has been re-established, normal water pressure and supply is restored. 

~LL~

frank white

Where is the City getting the money to pay the contractors to help out? I thought there was a budget crisis and that is why the PW, City Hall and Library personnel were getting fired. Someone help with this one?
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!

watcher

Quote from: confused on June 16, 2008, 03:45:12 PM
This is the lords way of trimming trees and getting rid of dead branches.(and then some)

Would that it worked on dead wood in other spheres.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

~LL~

Quote from: frank white on June 16, 2008, 05:52:54 PM
Where is the City getting the money to pay the contractors to help out? I thought there was a budget crisis and that is why the PW, City Hall and Library personnel were getting fired. Someone help with this one?

Library personnel?  Do tell.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

While I do think it's a shame for anyone to lose their jobs and I do mean that, it's probably cheaper for the city to hire an outside firm to do some short term work when a storm such as this strikes than keeping some people on the payroll when the city needs to trim the budget.

Losing a job is not an easy or necessarily fair thing but as those of us in the private sector know it's a fact of life especially in this kind of economy. 

confused

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on June 16, 2008, 07:08:41 PM
While I do think it's a shame for anyone to lose their jobs and I do mean that, it's probably cheaper for the city to hire an outside firm to do some short term work when a storm such as this strikes than keeping some people on the payroll when the city needs to trim the budget.

Losing a job is not an easy or necessarily fair thing but as those of us in the private sector know it's a fact of life especially in this kind of economy. 
True, but the residents get shorted out of services for the reason of bad city management.

frank white

That was not my question, where is all of the money coming from if you can't afford to pay the people now? You make good points but nonetheless not really answering the question.
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!