Main Menu

Storm Damage?

Started by watcher, June 15, 2008, 10:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Quote from: confused on June 16, 2008, 07:18:46 PM
Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on June 16, 2008, 07:08:41 PM
Quote from: frank white on June 16, 2008, 05:52:54 PM
Where is the City getting the money to pay the contractors to help out? I thought there was a budget crisis and that is why the PW, City Hall and Library personnel were getting fired. Someone help with this one?
While I do think it's a shame for anyone to lose their jobs and I do mean that, it's probably cheaper for the city to hire an outside firm to do some short term work when a storm such as this strikes than keeping some people on the payroll when the city needs to trim the budget.

Losing a job is not an easy or necessarily fair thing but as those of us in the private sector know it's a fact of life especially in this kind of economy. 
True, but the residents get shorted out of services for the reason of bad city management.

As opposed to just paying everyone anyway and just spiraling further and further into debt..........like we used to, right?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

confused

hopefully a emergency fund.

frank white

Well Bon if you believe the layoffs are going to save the City I've got swampland in Arizona for you to look at. ;D
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: frank white on June 16, 2008, 08:40:27 PM
Well Bon if you believe the layoffs are going to save the City I've got swampland in Arizona for you to look at. ;D

So what is the alternative?  Council has voted to not increase revenue.  The alternative then becomes cutting costs.  Payroll is just about always the biggest expense. 

So what is the choice?  If you don't want to cut expenses, and you won't raise revenue, what is your or the union's proposal?

Why didn't the unions agree to a shortened work week so that jobs wouldn't be lost?  Yes, everyone would have taken a hit, but I guess from their perspective that a small group bear the burden...
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

ZORBA

I thought it was a bridge in Brooklyn?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: SILK on June 16, 2008, 10:01:22 PM

I thought it was a bridge in Brooklyn?
Silk - you and Frank White have got all the good land in America taken up - save some for the rest of us!

ZORBA

Frank White and I are two people you would do well in steering clear of.

LOL!!!

Just kidding!

frank white

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 16, 2008, 09:56:29 PM

So what is the alternative?  Council has voted to not increase revenue.  The alternative then becomes cutting costs.  Payroll is just about always the biggest expense. 

So what is the choice?  If you don't want to cut expenses, and you won't raise revenue, what is your or the union's proposal?

Why didn't the unions agree to a shortened work week so that jobs wouldn't be lost?  Yes, everyone would have taken a hit, but I guess from their perspective that a small group bear the burden...

My point was the layoffs alone are not going to be the answer and that is how it is being tossed out there. This si a short term answer to a long term problem which he has yet to address. Adhering to the hiring freeze, ending patronage hires and elimination of unnecessary jobs would have been a good start I would think.
I am Ozymandias. Ruler of Rulers, King of Kings. Look upon my works ye mighty and Despair!

Berwyn Patsy

So now that the lay-offs are official, how long will it be before the many big branches
and twigs will be cleared from Berwyn curbs?

frank white

Quote from: SILK on June 16, 2008, 10:22:29 PM
Frank White and I are two people you would do well in steering clear of.

LOL!!!

Just kidding!

You are probably right about that Silk!

frank white

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on June 17, 2008, 08:15:41 PM
So now that the lay-offs are official, how long will it be before the many big branches

My guess would be not for a good while.

Bonster

What do you care, you don't live here?  Take Harlem if you don't like it.

Public Works continues to address cleanup efforts from the wind storm
that struck the city at 8 am Sunday.  Hundreds of trees are down or
damaged throughout the city.  Landscape Concepts, the City's contractual
trimming company, is in town today to assist with the removal of trees
from homes and vehicles.  Landscape Concepts is operating two "boom"
trucks and three large chippers to assist the efforts of our crews.

Public Works crews will be traveling all streets throughout the city to
collect and dispose of all down branches and debris.  All other
non-essential activities, such as street sweeping and rail station cleanup is
suspended until  further notice.

Public Works expects to continue these efforts at least through the
week until the areas are clear of debris.

~LL~

Layoffs or no layoffs, this is a big job.  Patience, please.  I'm sure all are doing the best they can.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Berwyn Patsy

Bonster, I just asked a question, no need to sound sarcastic in your above post.
Actually I care, because I know it bothers you, that I still care about things in Berwyn!

Bonster

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on June 18, 2008, 05:38:21 AM
Bonster, I just asked a question, no need to sound sarcastic in your above post.
Actually I care, because I know it bothers you, that I still care about things in Berwyn!

Patience, please.

Bear

Quote from: LL--Schmidt on June 16, 2008, 06:24:50 PM
Quote from: frank white on June 16, 2008, 05:52:54 PM
Where is the City getting the money to pay the contractors to help out? I thought there was a budget crisis and that is why the PW, City Hall and Library personnel were getting fired. Someone help with this one?

Library personnel?  Do tell.

15 layoffs total, PW, city hall and the library
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

watcher

Quote from: Bonster on June 18, 2008, 08:50:29 AM
Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on June 18, 2008, 05:38:21 AM

Patience, please.

I haven't quite gotten the rosters and scorecard figured out yet, but sarcasm from Bonster?
Shirley you jest.
He's about as straight up as I've seen around here.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

delbowz

15 layoffs?  15 layoffs cause this uproar?  I am sorry for those 15 folks and their famillies, but in the big scheme of things, that's like waht, a 4% decrease in staff?  I may be callus and jaded - working for a company that has cut departments by as much as 17% in the past month, but 15 jobs in the scheme of things doesn't seem to be a HORRIBLE move.

Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

watcher

Quote from: delbowz on June 18, 2008, 02:15:04 PM
15 layoffs?  15 layoffs cause this uproar?  I am sorry for those 15 folks and their famillies, but in the big scheme of things, that's like waht, a 4% decrease in staff?  I may be callus and jaded - working for a company that has cut departments by as much as 17% in the past month, but 15 jobs in the scheme of things doesn't seem to be a HORRIBLE move.

I would question whether laying off 5 workers at $40K per year is smarter than 1 @ $200K.  I don't think anyone is shocked that the city's finally trying to save some money, but wonder at their target selection. 4%, if it's not the RIGHT 4%? Cutting off a leg when the infection is in the other foot?

Dragging it back to Bungalow love/storm damage for a minute. Mike Moore just left here. What a great guy. Upfront, said he's looking 5 weeks before he'd be able to start.
Due to the circumstances, I don't have the luxury of waiting, but will definitely find some non-emergency business to bring him back. Very helpful, warned me of a few pitfalls I hadn't considered. That alone was priceless!

So if you have a project you might want done by Moore Construction THIS summer, now's the time to call!
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I have a question regarding damage from trees that are not yours but hang over your property.  Who is responsible for this?