News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Recommendation for new boiler

Started by trek8000, August 26, 2008, 11:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trek8000

Hi, I am looking to replace my inefficient 140,000 btu Weil McLane boiler with a new efficient boiler. I have been in my bungalow for 2 winters now and the gas bills have been high. I have just added more insulation above and that should also help.
Can any of you make recommendations on a good heating company that knows a lot about these types of systems that will give me an honest quote and do a good job? I also have an 18 year old gas hot water tank that should be replaced. Have any of you installed either a tankless water heater or a combined boiler with connecting hot water tank? Thanks in advance.

dukesdad

http://www.corriganairconditioning.com/

These guys did a great job on putting radiant heat in my bathroom floor. Re-piped my existing boiler and put in a mixer and second loop. They also installed a new boiler for a friend, he loved them. Very reasonable and leave the house cleaner than when they started.

grenouille

great service from Riley HVAC.  Installed boiler, furnace, cac.  Clean, efficient, good price.  Have been with them for over 15 years.

Bungalocity

When I was looking at other houses before this one, I was faced with the possibility of having to get a new
boiler and on Craigslist I was shocked at how many people were giving these things away (not literally).

SO many people are converting to HVAC now that I noticed people must be buying houses that have
slightly used boilers and dumping them.  Lot's of listings were like 'U disassemble and haul away' etc.
So you have your heating guy and a few friends go with and take it out...

cheap deals??? maybe
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

watcher

Quote from: Bungalocity on October 04, 2008, 08:52:13 AM
When I was looking at other houses before this one, I was faced with the possibility of having to get a new
boiler and on Craigslist I was shocked at how many people were giving these things away (not literally).

SO many people are converting to HVAC now that I noticed people must be buying houses that have
slightly used boilers and dumping them.  Lot's of listings were like 'U disassemble and haul away' etc.
So you have your heating guy and a few friends go with and take it out...

cheap deals??? maybe

People are converting to GFA (Gas Force Air) or EHP (electric heat pump) or EFA which are all types of HVAC (Heating, ventilation, Air Conditioning)

It's mainly to get the AC part of the acronym which you cannot achieve with GHW systems. You can get a separate EFA AC system retrofit, or keep using window AC.

the majority of boilers you find on Craigslist are from rehabbers, flippers and DIYers.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Bungalocity

-Mark Twain

watcher

Quote from: Bungalocity on October 04, 2008, 09:36:57 AM
Yeah, like I said.

Actually, what you said was "SO many people are converting to HVAC" when what you should have said was GFA.

People "converted" to HVAC when they invented fire and cross-ventilation.
Wood furnaces, coal stoves, attic fans and roof turbines are HVAC.
An electric blanket is loosely part of HVAC. A ceiling fan is HVAC.
GHW is Heating. Windows ventilate and window shakers cool the air.

Radiator heat is clean, even and gives a warm place for the kitties to curl up.
Unlike it's noisy counterpart, it doesn't blow dust around the interior space, provide an
inviting atmosphere for vermin and bacterial growth or dissipate as rapidly.

Radiators, you either like them or you don't. I love ours.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Our previous house had radiators.  This one has gas forced air.  They are both frame homes built in 1907 and 1908 although our first was quite a bit smaller.  When we first moved here it was winter and when the heat would come on I would break into a sweat and when it was off after a short time I would just freeze.  Radiant heat is much more even.  The only plus I can see with the GFA here is the ability to have central air.  We would have to have quite a few window units to cool this house off.  I don't know how true it is but I would think having a boiler would be cheaper as a heat source than a gas furnace.  Anyone know the stats on that?

Robert Pauly

The GFA furnace in my attic can heat our main living floor, but I hate feeling the air blowing all around the place in the winter.  Our radiators are much more comfortable, and save for the pings in the night, are quieter, also.

maraire

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on October 04, 2008, 05:46:06 PM
Our previous house had radiators.  This one has gas forced air.  They are both frame homes built in 1907 and 1908 although our first was quite a bit smaller.  When we first moved here it was winter and when the heat would come on I would break into a sweat and when it was off after a short time I would just freeze.  Radiant heat is much more even.  The only plus I can see with the GFA here is the ability to have central air.  We would have to have quite a few window units to cool this house off.  I don't know how true it is but I would think having a boiler would be cheaper as a heat source than a gas furnace.  Anyone know the stats on that?

There are GFA furnaces on the market now that can heat just as evenly as a boiler (radiator heat). This is done with the staging of gas   and blower capacities. The result is quiet, even, and draftless heat. Efficiencies range from 80 thru 97%. This means with a 97% furnace  every dollar you spend on gas 97 cents worth of that heat goes into your home.

The average boiler on the market is rated at 82% efficient although there are a couple of manufacturers now that make 95% efficient stainless steel boilers.

I always discourage removing radiator heat for forced air to have a/c.
A/c can be installed with radiator heat giving you the best of both.

OakParkSpartan

Hey Marty,

What's your opinion of condensing boilers?  Is the extra efficiency worth the cost (and what is the typical difference in cost, installed)?

Also, what about indirect water heaters?

I've read that the combination of the two is the best way to provide heat and water for a home.  But you can't believe everything you read on the internet ;-)

Thanks,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bungalocity

Quote from: watcher on October 04, 2008, 01:49:02 PM
Quote from: Bungalocity on October 04, 2008, 09:36:57 AM
Yeah, like I said.

Actually, what you said was "SO many people are converting to HVAC" when what you should have said was GFA.

People "converted" to HVAC when they invented fire and cross-ventilation.
Wood furnaces, coal stoves, attic fans and roof turbines are HVAC.
An electric blanket is loosely part of HVAC. A ceiling fan is HVAC.
GHW is Heating. Windows ventilate and window shakers cool the air.

Radiator heat is clean, even and gives a warm place for the kitties to curl up.

Unlike it's noisy counterpart, it doesn't blow dust around the interior space, provide an
inviting atmosphere for vermin and bacterial growth or dissipate as rapidly.

Radiators, you either like them or you don't. I love ours.

Exactly.  That's 1 of the 3 reasons I got my place.  A newer boiler should be rated for a good 40-50 years right?  So you can find a ton on CL barely used.

HAPPY HOUBY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mark Twain

Bungalocity

Quote from: Robert Pauly on October 04, 2008, 06:46:27 PM
The GFA furnace in my attic can heat our main living floor, but I hate feeling the air blowing all around the place in the winter.  Our radiators are much more comfortable, and save for the pings in the night, are quieter, also.

Someone told me that by getting a bleeder tool you can get the air out and that takes care of that?
-Mark Twain

maraire

Condensing boilers are the most efficient. They can reach up to 95% +. You can expect to pay in a range from $4500 to $6200 depending on size, removal of the existing, and repipe for the new. Coupling any boiler, be it condensing or non condensing, with an indirect fired water heater is always the premier way to go. With an indirect fired heater you will never run out of hot water, recovery time is a fraction of a conventional water heater, and the cost of fuel to heat the water is minimal compared to that of the conventional.
Add to the cost of the boiler $1500 to $2500 for the water tank, pump, controls, and piping.

A quality piece of equipment installed properly should give a near lifetimes worth of trouble free operation.(When maintained properly).

As far as is it worth it. My feeling is the only thing we know for certain is that gas prices are going to increase. So anything we can do maximize use of what we pay for is a good thing. I would say that typically your looking at a 7 to 10 year pay back. 

The best thing all of us can do to maintain and or elevate the efficiency of any piece of heating equipment is to have it properly serviced before it gets cold.

OakParkSpartan

Thanks for the info Marty.  That is a fair amount of change which makes the decision more difficult.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

maraire

Quote from: Bungalocity on October 05, 2008, 10:28:22 AM
Quote from: Robert Pauly on October 04, 2008, 06:46:27 PM

Someone told me that by getting a bleeder tool you can get the air out and that takes care of that?

Bleeding radiators does help. Although you should be aware that when you remove air or water from the system it needs to be replaced to insure proper pressure. Not only radiators need bleeding but expansion tanks need draining and fill valves need to be cleaned and adjusted.

watcher

Quote from: maraire on October 05, 2008, 11:31:25 AM
Bleeding radiators does help. Although you should be aware that when you remove air or water from the system it needs to be replaced to insure proper pressure. Not only radiators need bleeding but expansion tanks need draining and fill valves need to be cleaned and adjusted.

This would seem a good place AND time to post your contact info.
How does your schedule look this week?

maraire

Quote from: watcher on October 05, 2008, 12:54:14 PM
Quote from: maraire on October 05, 2008, 11:31:25 AM

This would seem a good place AND time to post your contact info.
How does your schedule look this week?

You may call to schedule an appointment during business hours Mon - Fri. There are openings this week coming up. 
Martin-Aire
6908 Windsor
708-484-8782

Thank You
Marty

Jo

So, if a boiler will last pretty much indefinitely, how should I feel when a heating guy tells us we should think about replacing ours? I'm new to all this home-owning stuff and am pretty naive, I admit.

We had ours looked at today and he told us at the very least we need to replace the pump (?) and the autostat (?). But he also said we should really think about getting an entirely new boiler, as the ones that are made now are much more efficient than older models.

Thoughts?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Jo on October 13, 2008, 09:36:04 PM
So, if a boiler will last pretty much indefinitely, how should I feel when a heating guy tells us we should think about replacing ours? I'm new to all this home-owning stuff and am pretty naive, I admit.

We had ours looked at today and he told us at the very least we need to replace the pump (?) and the autostat (?). But he also said we should really think about getting an entirely new boiler, as the ones that are made now are much more efficient than older models.

Thoughts?

We replaced our pump a couple years ago.  Actually, the existing one failed (sounded like a bunch of monkeys beating on the radiators).  You really need to get an estimate for a new boiler.  Then figure out what your payback time is and see if it is worth it.