News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

The cold is coming

Started by maraire, October 22, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maraire

Well folks its that time of year again when we fire up the beast in the basement that keeps us warm. For those that have not yet turned their furnace or boiler on PLEASE do so now to make sure it is in good operating condition. Don't wait until your too cold.  The reason for this post is that we at Martin-Aire find ourselves inundated with calls for no heat, this is a good thing for us, although 4 out of 10 calls are do to DIRTY FILTERS. Please change your filters regularly, every month. Turn on your heat before you need it, then if there is a problem it is not an emergency and can be handled during normal hours. This will save the customer  money and allow service techs to get some sleep.

This has been a Public Service Announcement by Martin-Aire Htg. & Clg. paid for by no one.

Hogzilla

Marty, I thought of you on Monday when I turned on the furnace and voila, no heat. After a little digging around I found a blower wire that got knocked loose from the wire nut while replacing the filter. I thought I was going to have to call you. Fortunately, no. Hopefully not for another year or so, but our furnace is pretty darn old...

Thanks for the PSA!
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Robert Pauly

My heat's been on since August (or so it seems)!  Got a lecture this morning on the house being too cold - 69.

menace2society

do they make window plastic that you can put outside instead of inside? 

Bonster

How do you feel regarding disposable air filters vs. ones you can clean?   I have a "Dust Eater" electrostatic filter that supposedly never needs replacing, just cleaning.  But I'm wondering if newer disposables are better.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Hogzilla

And thus started a new segment of BTF we like to call, "Ask Marty!" our resident expert on all things heating and cooling related (not only in our homes, but in our bellies as well.)
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

maraire

Quote from: Bonster on October 22, 2008, 03:46:57 PM

How do you feel regarding disposable air filters vs. ones you can clean?   I have a "Dust Eater" electrostatic filter that supposedly never needs replacing, just cleaning.  But I'm wondering if newer disposables are better.

Disposable filters are ok if they are the pleated type. Your electrostatic filter is a bit better. Although none of them are any good if they are not clean

maraire

Hogzilla

maraire

Man is it friggin COLD out. Got up this morning guess what I GOT NO HEAT. Talk about irony. Not to worry though my wife immediately called someone out to fix it (me). Getting warmer now. Hope everyone is staying warm. We have been out most of the night and I expect to be out most of the day.

Make sure your filters are clean and boiler pumps are working and above all STAY WARM.

Marty

p.s. Check your humidifier you will need it in this weather

Felix Greco

Condensation on all of my windows on the main floor and the second floor but none in the family room or my office, what gives?
All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity. ---Robert Kennedy

soxfan1

Bad seals. Time for new windows.

ZORBA

Quote from: maraire on December 21, 2008, 09:34:15 AM
Not to worry though my wife immediately called someone out to fix it (me).

:D ;D :D ;D :D

I can just picture Regina barking at poor Marty in his long johns in the wee hours of the morning to FIX THE DAMN HEAT, PRONTO!!!!!!!!!!

:D ;D :D ;D :D

maraire

Filters, filters, filters people believe me when I say I can't say it enough.
Check and or change your furnace filters. Bitter cold is again bearing down on us. All we can do is be ready.

hmmmm...How bout a free filter with the purchase of a Martini...... ::)

soxfan1

Sounds like one hell of a promo.  Ok Marty, I'll take an apple martini and a 14X25 filter please....

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I'll have a dirty Belvidere martini up and a 16X25 allergen filter - now that's a bargain!

watcher

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 12, 2009, 04:04:47 PM
I'll have a dirty Belvidere martini up and a 16X25 allergen filter - now that's a bargain!

An honest mistake?

The way I read it, MARTY gets the martinis, you get the free filter.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: watcher on January 12, 2009, 04:56:23 PM
Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 12, 2009, 04:04:47 PM

An honest mistake?

The way I read it, MARTY gets the martinis, you get the free filter.
Watcher, you're absolutely right.  Marty gets me the martini, I pay him for it, then I get my free filter.  The best deal in town for sure.

Bear

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

maraire

FYI it is 62 degrees warmer in Alaska than it is in Berwyn today
(FOX News)